How long will it take to improve GRE from 300 to 310

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mnmoore

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting at 300 on my GRE my goal is 310. Does anyone have any advice on how much I should study and how long it will take?

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone has different study habits but I got a 147-Q & 150-V (297 combined) on my first attempt and a 154-Q & 157-V (311 combined) on my second attempt. My writing also improved from a 4.5 to a 5. This was after 2 1/2 weeks of studying using Magoosh.

Reactions: 1 user
Everyone has different study habits but I got a 147-Q & 150-V (297 combined) on my first attempt and a 154-Q & 157-V (311 combined) on my second attempt. My writing also improved from a 4.5 to a 5. This was after 2 1/2 weeks of studying using Magoosh.
Do you mind telling me what exactly was your method when using Magoosh? Like did you go through most of the video explanations or do practice problems?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mind telling me what exactly was your method when using Magoosh? Like did you go through most of the video explanations or do practice problems?

I studied for ~3-5 hrs a day, mainly watching the videos and doing practice questions/quizzes. If you've already taken the GRE, focus on material that you have difficulty with until you feel confident. Also when I had free time, I would use magoosh's flashcards app and review vocab words. Overall, I think I took like 2 or 3 practice exams throuhout the 2.5 weeks. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I am starting at 300 on my GRE my goal is 310. Does anyone have any advice on how much I should study and how long it will take?

Echoing what @808hawaiiwarriors said, I found Magoosh to be very helpful - especially on the verbal portions. They have videos and tutorials online that I found to be very helpful and the teachers do a good job on breaking the question down, explaining what to look for, and how to get the right answer option.

Since you've taken the test before, focus on the sections that you had more trouble with while making sure you are still able to perform well on your strong sections. And more importantly, just keep practicing. It's okay to get the questions wrong, as long as you learn from them and understand why your answer is wrong why the correct answer is correct. And continuing to build off what @808hawaiiwarriors said, everyone's study habits and learning methods are different, so it is hard to given a definitive time frame on how fast you will improve your score from a 300 to a 310.

What's the standard deviation predicted for the new GRE? Knowing that can help guide study duration, etc.