How long will the entire EMT-A Route Take?

Started by grapp
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

grapp

EMT-A Firefighter
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there,

How long will the entire paramedic route take?

I do not plan on taking any form of accelerated learning because I believe every minute is important.

EMT-B (3 months)?
EMT-I (6 months)?
EMT-A (15 months?

I'm also looking for a potential mentor who is a paramedic or EMT that I could ask questions about that field?

Thank you!
 
The amount of time each certification will take you varies by a large degree. It depends on whether or not you're going to a community college, fire academy, or technical school. I'll give you examples for my area. I completed EMT in one college semester, but the school recently split the course into two semesters. Most EMT-I courses in the MD are are 12 months long after EMT. A paramedic associates degree could take five semesters to complete but a certificate program might be just 12 months.

I also think you are getting your phrasing wrong. EMT-A is not a paramedic, it's closer to what an EMT-I is: an EMT with additional ALS training. In some states an EMT-A/I is an EMT who can maybe place an invasive airway, but their pharmacology/pathophysiology knowledge is still that of an EMT. On the other end of the spectrum in my state an EMT-I's education is probably 80% of what paramedics get, and they provide the majority of the ALS care in Baltimore City which is a very demanding enviroment.

What are your goals for EMS?
 
Here in NYS, EMT-Is are mostly EMS veterans who have not had to switch to either EMT-B or EMT-P in their area yet or are college students who don't have nearly enough time to dedicate to the paramedic course. I've been an EMT-B for 3 years now and honestly, I would recommend that if you're going to make EMS a career, skip over the intermediate level and go straight for your paramedic cert. If this is going to be a temporary thing before you go into a high level of medical care or if it's just a going to a hobby on the side, I'd recommend just sticking with becoming an EMT-B then.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here in NYS, EMT-Is are mostly EMS veterans who have not had to switch to either EMT-B or EMT-P in their area yet or are college students who don't have nearly enough time to dedicate to the paramedic course. I've been an EMT-B for 3 years now and honestly, I would recommend that if you're going to make EMS a career, skip over the intermediate level and go straight for your paramedic cert. If this is going to be a temporary thing before you go into a high level of medical care or if it's just a going to a hobby on the side, I'd recommend just sticking with becoming an EMT-B then.
Good to know, thank you.
 
The amount of time each certification will take you varies by a large degree. It depends on whether or not you're going to a community college, fire academy, or technical school. I'll give you examples for my area. I completed EMT in one college semester, but the school recently split the course into two semesters. Most EMT-I courses in the MD are are 12 months long after EMT. A paramedic associates degree could take five semesters to complete but a certificate program might be just 12 months.

I also think you are getting your phrasing wrong. EMT-A is not a paramedic, it's closer to what an EMT-I is: an EMT with additional ALS training. In some states an EMT-A/I is an EMT who can maybe place an invasive airway, but their pharmacology/pathophysiology knowledge is still that of an EMT. On the other end of the spectrum in my state an EMT-I's education is probably 80% of what paramedics get, and they provide the majority of the ALS care in Baltimore City which is a very demanding enviroment.

What are your goals for EMS?
It's still what I am trying to decide.