How Many Acceptances Are You Holding onto?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Let us know

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
MoosePilot said:
PD, you know I love you, but it's not competitive to give you information that you're asking others for. You're asking them for this information because it would help you. So why wouldn't increasing the sample size by one help a little more? That's all I'm saying.

I think making the poll public was the major difficulty. I don't think you would have hesitated to drop your answer in after a couple others had answered if it wasn't public.

Off topic - does anyone have a link to PD's alleged MDapplicants entry?

I actually added mine hours ago. and yea the mistake was making it public b/c you're right, otherwise it wouldn't have been such an issue to add mine.

blump said:
Just messing with you Psycho. Don't take it to heart. I believe you got in. Youre going to have to be a little less sensitive if you go to one of these schools.
im done messing with you. Good luck wherever you go.

sorry, i only get sensitive when i feel like i'm being attacked for something i'm not guilty of and that i feel uncomfortable discussing to begin with.

Members don't see this ad.

;) back sort of on topic:

In all honestly I think it is absolutely deplorable that some people are HOLDING 10 or more acceptances. For that matter I think it is pretty unconscionable for people to be holding even 5+ acceptances when there are people throughout the country that do not have any and are mired on waitlists. I have been fortunate enough to have already received 3 acceptances (1 of which I gave up after giving more thought to the situation and the fact that I would go to either of the other two ahead of it).

The bottom line is that if you are holding MANY acceptances you have not felt the impetus to analyze your situation fully. There is no "pressure" for you to push yourself to cut out some of those schools. For most applicants, very little will change with regards to the factors associated with each program other than the potential of financial aid. Chances are, of the acceptances that these high achievers have received, there is (or could be if the proper "pressure" was applied, unfortunately for most it will be an arbitrary deadline) only a couple to a handful that they are really considering in terms of location/cost/etc. Having more than 5 options with the only open variable being aid is pretty ridiculous.

This is just me pseudo ranting but the fact remains. Think about it. The sooner you give up those spots that in your heart you know you will not accept, the sooner another person will either have an acceptance and lose a load of pressure, or the sooner someone else frees up 1+ spots at other schools for having gotten into a program they would prefer to go to.

It just seems incredibly selfish, and not at all coherent with the altruistic spirit of the profession in which we are about to embark, to hold NUMEROUS medical school slots.

My rant is at an end. If you have a problem with it we can take it outside ;) but seriously consider the ramifications that your (in)action has on other people.

jdovez said:
;) back sort of on topic:

In all honestly I think it is absolutely deplorable that some people are HOLDING 10 or more acceptances. For that matter I think it is pretty unconscionable for people to be holding even 5+ acceptances when there are people throughout the country that do not have any and are mired on waitlists. I have been fortunate enough to have already received 3 acceptances (1 of which I gave up after giving more thought to the situation and the fact that I would go to either of the other two ahead of it).

The bottom line is that if you are holding MANY acceptances you have not felt the impetus to analyze your situation fully. There is no "pressure" for you to push yourself to cut out some of those schools. For most applicants, very little will change with regards to the factors associated with each program other than the potential of financial aid. Chances are, of the acceptances that these high achievers have received, there is (or could be if the proper "pressure" was applied, unfortunately for most it will be an arbitrary deadline) only a couple to a handful that they are really considering in terms of location/cost/etc. Having more than 5 options with the only open variable being aid is pretty ridiculous.

This is just me pseudo ranting but the fact remains. Think about it. The sooner you give up those spots that in your heart you know you will not accept, the sooner another person will either have an acceptance and lose a load of pressure, or the sooner someone else frees up 1+ spots at other schools for having gotten into a program they would prefer to go to.

It just seems incredibly selfish, and not at all coherent with the altruistic spirit of the profession in which we are about to embark, to hold NUMEROUS medical school slots.

My rant is at an end. If you have a problem with it we can take it outside ;) but seriously consider the ramifications that your (in)action has on other people.
look this is my week for making some decisions..i'm finally on spring break and can breathe. i will be dropping several, but before you give everyone such a hard time, realize some people just heard from some schools which changes the whole evaluation process. In addition some people sitll didn't hear from some schools which may be their top choices. Whereas it may seem selfish, there are plenty of reasons some people haven't made decisions yet, financial aid packages being a huge factor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Psycho Doctor said:
look this is my week for making some decisions..i'm finally on spring break and can breathe. i will be dropping several, but before you give everyone such a hard time, realize some people just heard from some schools which changes the whole evaluation process. In addition some people sitll didn't hear from some schools which may be their top choices. Whereas it may seem selfish, there are plenty of reasons some people haven't made decisions yet, financial aid packages being a huge factor.

Dude, I am sorry if you have felt "attacked" by some people on this thread whether it be a good natured ribbing or an analysis of the situation as others see it. However, as I stated in my post (which may or not make perfect sense, it was a bit late). Whether you are weighing financial factors or have just received even 4 additional acceptances, if you have a large number (10+ would qualify as such) then there is absolutely NO reason for this. I find it IMPOSSIBLE to believe that anyone would truly be torn between 10 institutions with only fin aid being the factor which is still unknown. Even if you just yesterday received thos 4 additional acceptances, then one could easily then drop several that they had (if those new 4 are competitive for the individual).

Again I do not mean for you to feel that you need to be defensive. I just think that people in your situation should be a bit more "christian" and help those applicants who have not been as fortunate. I am glad to hear that you finally have some free time to analyze your school situation and as such are planning to drop schools. That is excellent and quite philanthropic of you.

jdovez said:
Dude, I am sorry if you have felt "attacked" by some people on this thread whether it be a good natured ribbing or an analysis of the situation as others see it. However, as I stated in my post (which may or not make perfect sense, it was a bit late). Whether you are weighing financial factors or have just received even 4 additional acceptances, if you have a large number (10+ would qualify as such) then there is absolutely NO reason for this. I find it IMPOSSIBLE to believe that anyone would truly be torn between 10 institutions with only fin aid being the factor which is still unknown. Even if you just yesterday received thos 4 additional acceptances, then one could easily then drop several that they had (if those new 4 are competitive for the individual).

Again I do not mean for you to feel that you need to be defensive. I just think that people in your situation should be a bit more "christian" and help those applicants who have not been as fortunate. I am glad to hear that you finally have some free time to analyze your school situation and as such are planning to drop schools. That is excellent and quite philanthropic of you.

You don't know others' people situation to assume they can make these decisions so easily. Normally i would have dropped my Chicago schools but then there is this little thing called a gf who goes to school there who is crying constantly if i turn them down...sometimes these things take time. Furthermore, i have a medical situation i need to investigate with some schools and have not completed what i need to do yet...so i need to hold onto my schools before i end up out every where. Sorry if you see it as being unChristian. I will give them up as soon as I can, but i worked too hard to end up nowhere if i give up too many too soon.

It's not as easy to drop schools as some would think either. I had kindof ranked schools in my mind given a very good-case scenario and decided that I would drop all but two at any given time in order to be courteous to my fellow applicants. When situation came to fruition, however, it wasn't quite so easy. Each school has qualities that no other school possesses, financial aid is a major concern, interviews don't give the best impression, significant others are pulling you one way or another, there are match lists, board scores, class size, endowment, rankings, reputation, individual departments, endless factors that make the decision much harder than it was six months ago. Nobody's complaining, it's a wonderful position to be in, but just give us until the 2nd looks pass and financial aid comes and then everyone will start shedding excess acceptances like a bad analogy. The only real consequence that all the indecision has for those only on waitlists is that they have to wait a little bit longer. We all certainly can sympathize with you on that point. As Psycho said, however, it would be a major bummer to work so hard and so long and end up at the wrong school because others don't want to wait for a few more weeks. It's a decision to be made slowly, and to make certain you've got right.

dopaminophile said:
It's not as easy to drop schools as some would think either. I had kindof ranked schools in my mind given a very good-case scenario and decided that I would drop all but two at any given time in order to be courteous to my fellow applicants. When situation came to fruition, however, it wasn't quite so easy. Each school has qualities that no other school possesses, financial aid is a major concern, interviews don't give the best impression, significant others are pulling you one way or another, there are match lists, board scores, class size, endowment, rankings, reputation, individual departments, endless factors that make the decision much harder than it was six months ago. Nobody's complaining, it's a wonderful position to be in, but just give us until the 2nd looks pass and financial aid comes and then everyone will start shedding excess acceptances like a bad analogy. The only real consequence that all the indecision has for those only on waitlists is that they have to wait a little bit longer. We all certainly can sympathize with you on that point. As Psycho said, however, it would be a major bummer to work so hard and so long and end up at the wrong school because others don't want to wait for a few more weeks. It's a decision to be made slowly, and to make certain you've got right.

I certainly agree with your perspective. This is a huge decision and not one to be entered into lightly. I also agree that it is more difficult to narrow schools when you are presented with several scenarios. However, if you are holding 10+ or in all honesty 6+ spots, then there is something wrong. There is no reason that you could not drop down to 4-5 max (I understand between say 2-5 there are these different factors to consider). However, if you are holding 6+ then you are not really being honest with yourself and evaluating the schools stringently enough up until this point. Second looks are a great time to learn more and financial aid is of paramount importance, but allowing this additional info help you decide between say your final 4-5 schools should be more than adequate.

Additionally you are right, those only on waitlists only need to wait a little longer. However, put yourself in their shoes. Every minute, every second is relatively torturous seeing as they may feel that they will not be able to realize their dream this year, or perhaps they are so crushed that they think their dream virtually an impossibility. It is very easy to be holding X acceptances trying to find the "perfect fit." But then there are those that do not even know if they will be able to go to school next year. I just want everyone to consider the other side of the coin and take actions accordingly. Be careful, but be expedient in your decision making process.

MoosePilot said:
Off topic - does anyone have a link to PD's alleged MDapplicants entry?

It's not hard to find if you do a search - and it is a very impressive profile. But if someone chooses not to link their profile please don't post it here for them.

Kazema said:
It's not hard to find if you do a search - and it is a very impressive profile. But if someone chooses not to link their profile please don't post it here for them.
thank you

honestly, people should be able to do whatever they want with their acceptances. if you work hard, get accepted, you should take all the sweet time in the world to make your decision, until may 15th of course. it may be selfish and uncompassionate, but they have every right to hold onto them until the very last minute. don't make people feel bad about it. everyone's time will come.

Kazema said:

I've seen it now.

liverotcod said:
Yeah, not too hard to find, and I'm with Kazema: very impressive.

Eh. It's fine, but it's like attracting lots of women. You can only marry one. I'm glad he has his choice of a number, but ultimately now it's time to move on.

After all this hype, I had to take a look at Psycho's profile too. :smuggrin: WTG, Psycho. That's impressive as hell. :thumbup:

Those of you giving Psycho a hard time for holding all of his acceptances should be ashamed of yourselves. No one has any right to demand that he give even one of them up before May if he's not ready to yet. He earned them, fair and square; it's not like they were your acceptances that he stole or somehow obtained through dishonest means. You don't like this system? Hey, no one else does, either. Everyone plays this waiting game to some degree, and we all wish there were a fast track to getting into medical school. But don't blame Psycho because you're still waitlisted at World's Greatest Medical School, and you are oh-so-impatient to find out your final status. He isn't the one who put you on that wait list, and he's not responsible for getting you off it, either.

One suggestion I want to make to Psycho: don't choose your school based on your girlfriend. You're very young, and you should concentrate on getting your education for now. Go to the school that is the best fit for you, and if that relationship is meant to be, it will work itself out. Part of loving someone is wanting what's best for them, not what's best for yourself. Good luck to you with everything. :luck:

QofQuimica said:
After all this hype, I had to take a look at Psycho's profile too. :smuggrin: WTG, Psycho. That's impressive as hell. :thumbup:

Those of you giving Psycho a hard time for holding all of his acceptances should be ashamed of yourselves. No one has any right to demand that he give even one of them up before May if he's not ready to yet. He earned them, fair and square; it's not like they were your acceptances that he stole or somehow obtained through dishonest means. You don't like this system? Hey, no one else does, either. Everyone plays this waiting game to some degree, and we all wish there were a fast track to getting into medical school. But don't blame Psycho because you're still waitlisted at World's Greatest Medical School, and you are oh-so-impatient to find out your final status. He isn't the one who put you on that wait list, and he's not responsible for getting you off it, either.

One suggestion I want to make to Psycho: don't choose your school based on your girlfriend. You're very young, and you should concentrate on getting your education for now. Go to the school that is the best fit for you, and if that relationship is meant to be, it will work itself out. Part of loving someone is wanting what's best for them, not what's best for yourself. Good luck to you with everything. :luck:

I'm just curious what makes everyone so sure they even know which is his profile, unless he told people which was his and they leaked it to others. Plenty of people have similar stats, but then again I'm not even sure how to do a comprehensive search.

Amino Acid said:
I'm just curious what makes everyone so sure they even know which is his profile, unless he told people which was his and they leaked it to others. Plenty of people have similar stats, but then again I'm not even sure how to do a comprehensive search.
In the profile notes, he goes on and on about how he has 4,000+ posts on SDN and how he's the only person in the world known to be able to keep his eyes open whilst sneezing. Sound like anyone you know?

Just kidding. :cool:

Amino Acid said:

Well, psycho has said a lot of things in this forum and mentioned these same things in his profile, which have led us to believe it is his.

MadameLULU said:
Well, psycho has said a lot of things in this forum and mentioned these same things in his profile, which have led us to believe it is his.
But what key things would you do a search on? He never publicized his MCAT (people harrassed him for that) or his GPA. You could plug in a few acceptances he mentioned but surely that would throw out plenty of profiles.

Amino Acid said:
But what key things would you do a search on? He never publicized his MCAT (people harrassed him for that) or his GPA. You could plug in a few acceptances he mentioned but surely that would throw out plenty of profiles.
Actually, I thought I had it for sure, but then realized it was a 2004 matriculation year profile.

Update: I cannot believe I've wasted this much time searching for PD's Easter egg. I've definitely got it this time. Amino Acid - if I told you how to find it you would miss the pleasure of the hunt!

PD, xoxoxo to you too.

liverotcod said:
In the profile notes, he goes on and on about how he has 4,000+ posts on SDN
well i had to keep editing my number of posts as they changed

liverotcod said:
and how he's the only person in the world known to be able to keep his eyes open whilst sneezing. Sound like anyone you know?

Just kidding. :cool:

well i did do a few seminars on that so ihad to list it as an EC :D

liverotcod said:
Actually, I thought I had it for sure, but then realized it was a 2004 matriculation year profile.

Update: I cannot believe I've wasted this much time searching for PD's Easter egg. I've definitely got it this time. Amino Acid - if I told you how to find it you would miss the pleasure of the hunt!

PD, xoxoxo to you too.

and can we please drop it now; it's really no big deal to waste your time on

Psycho Doctor said:
and can we please drop it now; it's really no big deal to waste your time on

i don't see how you continually fail to understand that the more secretive and protective you are of your precious stats, the more fascinating they become to the board at large. sorry. but it's true. (and congrats on penn!)

Today, I am giving up 17 of my 19 spots: still can't decide between last 2.