dr_dre

10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
Status
Looking at MDApplicants.com, SDN, and through talking to other premeds I know, I can't help but get a little bit worried about this appliction cycle.
So far I've taken about 31 undergrad courses an here is how I stack up:
about 13 B's (range B to B+) and 18 A's (range A- to A+).

:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think the real question is, how many Verified GOLD STARS do you have on your transcript? I mean, isn't that how people get into Harvard?

I got a 3.65 BCPM. I don't know exactly how many A's and B's that is, but it does include a C from a community college Physics class, while I was still in high school! :cool:

wolfram241

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2005
Status
Considering the national average for matriculants is around 3.6 and AMCAS calculates A- to a 3.7, I would say most matriculants have a good deal of B's and lower on their transcripts.

About the Ads

Schaden Freud

MiSanthrope II
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Yo Dre, you can't spell B**** without a few B's. That **** gives yo motha****in application some flava.

Edit: The UPitt Admissions Office would beg to disagree with above statement.

dr_dre said:
Looking at MDApplicants.com, SDN, and through talking to other premeds I know, I can't help but get a little bit worried about this appliction cycle.

zach1201

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2006
Status
jackieMD2007 said:
I think the real question is, how many Verified GOLD STARS do you have on your transcript? I mean, isn't that how people get into Harvard?
To be six again and be on the gold star system would be a dream of mine.

greytmedic

Faster than you
10+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2005
California
Status
Resident [Any Field]
zach1201 said:
The gunners would be buying their own gold stars and sticking them to the board when the teacher wasn't looking. :D

Zuerst

Plutonium Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2005
Republic of Texas
Status
I got a bunch since I took a bunch of biology classes (Bio211, Bio212, Bio325, Bio365...), there are probably at least 10 B's from just those class titles... :p

DoctaJay

bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2005
USA
doctajay.com
Status
Attending Physician
Got one in Volleyball. I guess there is more to the sport than spiking the ball. You will be straight though, as long as you are balanced a lot of Bs won't hurt ya.

CavalierMD

Secondary Stalker 4-Lyf!
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Status
Pre-Medical
wolfram241 said:
Considering the national average for matriculants is around 3.6 and AMCAS calculates A- to a 3.7, I would say most matriculants have a good deal of B's and lower on their transcripts.
numbers don't lie. :thumbup:

leahmaria

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
I have a W...but when i enrolled in the course the next time I earned an A, so that should be good. I have about twice as many As as Bs but I've got my share of Bs

windzilla

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2004
Status
leahmaria said:
I have a W...but when i enrolled in the course the next time I earned an A, so that should be good. I have about twice as many As as Bs but I've got my share of Bs

I Never got gold stars, I was always held in for recess to work on my handwriting and/or my "inside voice" (that means keeping quiet).

perhaps thats why I have a hard time caring about grades as opposed to content.

thanks for the therapy session.

About the Ads

leahmaria

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
windzilla said:
I Never got gold stars, I was always held in for recess to work on my handwriting and/or my "inside voice" (that means keeping quiet).

perhaps thats why I have a hard time caring about grades as opposed to content.

thanks for the therapy session.
i was held in for recess too--first grade...and my teacher threw a big party for everyone with no "pink slips" and I had to sit in the vice principal's office with the kid that threw desks and the bully...and all i did was talk to loud a lot...

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
four or five, I think

Haemulon

Slippery When Wet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2006
On SDN
Status
Resident [Any Field]
40 A's
19 B's
2 C's

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
SOCMOB
Status
Attending Physician
greytmedic said:
The gunners would be buying their own gold stars and sticking them to the board when the teacher wasn't looking. :D
I tried sticking gold stars on my AMCAS application when I was filling it out but then I scrolled down the page and they got all out of place. :(

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
TX
Status
Attending Physician
3.6 but there are 2 Cs in there (Thanks Calc III and mandatory attendance for intro Bio classes :mad: ) and I have my fair share of Bs - no idea how many because I think I'm up over 200 ugrad hours :laugh:

steppwolf

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2006
Status
Non-Student
wolfram241 said:
AMCAS calculates A- to a 3.7 . . .
I've heard that AMCAS makes "adjustments" to GPA. Do they add/subtract points for the perceived quality of the undergrad institution? Where is all this spelled out?

About the Ads

sfnix

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
BM, PA
Status
Pre-Medical
steppwolf said:
I've heard that AMCAS makes "adjustments" to GPA. Do they add/subtract points for the perceived quality of the undergrad institution? Where is all this spelled out?
would like to know this as well. my school assigns only an "A" "B" "C" etc.... no plus, no minus. really nice in some ways, not so nice in others. one point is the difference b/t a 4.0 and 3.0 (kinda archaic right?).

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
SOCMOB
Status
Attending Physician
sfnix said:
would like to know this as well. my school assigns only an "A" "B" "C" etc.... no plus, no minus. really nice in some ways, not so nice in others. one point is the difference b/t a 4.0 and 3.0 (kinda archaic right?).
This is how AMCAS adjusts your GPA in any situation. They do not take quality/difficulty of your institution in to account. So a 4.0 from Harvard is the same as a 4.0 from Springfield Community and Clown College. Now, this is just for AMCAS, this doesn't say the Med Schools don't weight rigor of academic institution, they probably do. How much or how they do so? Only they know.

Haemulon

Slippery When Wet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2006
On SDN
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Depakote said:
This is how AMCAS adjusts your GPA in any situation. They do not take quality/difficulty of your institution in to account. So a 4.0 from Harvard is the same as a 4.0 from Springfield Community and Clown College. Now, this is just for AMCAS, this doesn't say the Med Schools don't weight rigor of academic institution, they probably do. How much or how they do so? Only they know.
Great link :thumbup:

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Matth52 said:
Dos, in this last semester. One was by 6 points, which the prof could have easily floated me since I never missed a class, but no the prof made me look to see if I had any missed points on tests
Right, because you're ENTITLED to your grade. Good thinking. You would be LIVID if you got an A fair-and-square and then found out that a bunch of people got "floated" some points... :thumbdown:

Depakote, I enjoyed Clown College. It was HARD to get a 4.0 there you guys!

uvce

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2006
Status
Depakote said:
As to how med schools view it, posts from LizzyM in the following threads might give some indication.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=298526
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=298995
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=299663

steppwolf

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2006
Status
Non-Student
Depakote said:
Thanks for the link.

Also, I found this while poking around on Google:

The fact remains that how well you have done at Swarthmore is the major determinant in gaining entrance to medical school. Swarthmore has a rigorous grading situation and we tell medical schools about it. With your Committee letter of recommendation we include a description of both the distinguished faculty and current students at Swarthmore. In other words, most medical schools know that anyone with a B+ average from here has done a good job in a very competitive situation. Many medical schools rate undergraduate colleges on selectivity and competitiveness, and Swarthmore has a top rating in these categories. Some medical schools even make a slight upward adjustment to a Swarthmore GPA.
http://www.swarthmore.edu/Admin/health_sciences/guide_for_applying_to_med.html

Too bad I'm not a Swarthmore student.

Compass

Squishy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2006
Status
How many Ns do you have on your 3rd Grade Report Card? N for Noob.

rickthetwinkie

10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Status
Medical Student
33 A's, 3 B's(one in calculus and one in organic chem II lecture), 1 C(in a computer science ethics course ><), and, and 2 grades(NC's) that will be considered F's by AMCAS :mad:

HemaOncoDoc

One Step At A Time
10+ Year Member
May 8, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
What's a B? I got As and Cs.

About the Ads

isobel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
i had more Cs than Bs and i still got in.

doublehh03

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2005
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
4 Bs (3B+)

just keep it movin. cant fret over somethin u can't change. sometimes it's really our fault. since for ochem lab and physics 3 (which is effin calculus based), i only went to the final.

but dont worry, the avg is 3.6, which is less than a 3.7 (A-). so if the avg is a B+, most ppl get the same amount of As and Bs i think, w/ more As im sure.

HemaOncoDoc

One Step At A Time
10+ Year Member
May 8, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
iceman77_7 said:
My transcript makes me C-sick. Har har har.
You may be C-sick, but receiving an interview invite by Columbia is NOT too shabby at all. Kind of puzzles me though since you submitted your secondary yesterday. Hmm?

It would be kind of peculiar to get just As and Cs...now what would I get Cs in...let's see, basket weaving for one...

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
dr_dre said:

Um. B's are fine. Even a few C's are okay.

Take a XANAX.

iceman77_7

10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2006
Status
Medical Student
HemaOncoDoc said:
You may be C-sick, but receiving an interview invite by Columbia is NOT too shabby at all. Kind of puzzles me though since you submitted your secondary yesterday. Hmm?

It would be kind of peculiar to get just As and Cs...now what would I get Cs in...let's see, basket weaving for one...
Whoops. I clicked the wrong box. Definitely no interview invite from Columbia. For a sec I thought you knew something I didn't!

asunshine

can't sing but i got soul
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 8, 2006
Status
Medical Student
5 B/B+, one AB, 28 A/A-...but the B's were in BCPM. Yikes!

tandski

MS3
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2006
Richmond, VA
Status
Medical Student
Only A's and B's? I have the full range...excluding C's. A's-many, many, B's-a few, D's - two, and yes.....one F. And of course it was in a math class. Oh my freshman year how do I regret thee!

MinnyGophers

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
Status
Post Doc
My worst grade right now is a B in bio, and I intend to keep it that way :laugh:

HemaOncoDoc

One Step At A Time
10+ Year Member
May 8, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
MinnyGophers said:
My worst grade right now is a B in bio, and I intend to keep it that way :laugh:
:thumbup: Please do!

HemaOncoDoc

One Step At A Time
10+ Year Member
May 8, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
iceman77_7 said:
Whoops. I clicked the wrong box. Definitely no interview invite from Columbia. For a sec I thought you knew something I didn't!
lol. I thought you were extra special and was speculating in becoming REALLY good friends for you... You'll get that interview invite soon though :)

baylormed

On the Search
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2005
Right behind you
Status
Post Doc
1-------D (Yikes :eek: , this was freshman year and it was retaken, got a B+, unfortunately, it's part of my BCMP...chemistry....)

1/1 ----C/C+

3/5 ----B/B+

24-----A

My freshman science gpa is a 2.6, or something like that, but it's only because of two chemistry classes (C and D), because I got an A in pre-cal....

My sophomore BCMP is a 3.3 and my junior BCMP is a 3.6... (I got straight A's in pretty every upper level science I've ever taken, biology, biochem, o-chem lab, etc, as well as in physics, but I got B's in math and o-chem lectures)

However, my AO gpa is 4.0 all througout college, so my overall is decent...

I'm getting paranoid about this, although I hope adcoms will notice my good UPWARD trend. :scared: I have good EC's and clinical experience, but no research.

What do you guys think?

riceman04

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2005
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
greytmedic said:

No they would not...they'd still the other kids and buy their own

riceman04

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2005
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
MinnyGophers said:
wait...did I miss a joke? Not sure I get it! Try again :thumbdown:

jojocola

10+ Year Member
May 20, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
zach1201 said:
Um, you guys don't have the gold star system implemented at your college?

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
20 As
4 Bs*
1 Withdrawal (BOOOORING Class... I just missed the deadline unfortunately)
1 D**
90 semester hours toward BS.

*Wasn't always pre-med and didnt' care so much about showing up to class or doing homework :) I also got a B in precal during summer but that was the result of a SEVER sunburn around finals week and my teacher was an ass and gave me an 89%.
**Basically, a class that should have been dropped wasn't dropped (I had a bunch of CRAP come up one semester and I couldn't really participate in school.) I'm trying to have it taken care of ATM. I've heard my school can whipe it clean and I've also heard that they'll just remove it from my GPA. Either way, I'll just retake it an get a good grade, but it still sucks to have it there.

Not counting that class that SHOULD have been dropped :mad: I should have a BCPM of 3.76 with an OA of 3.83 and a Total of 3.84 (not sure how I got that calculation, but I know my overall is 3.84). With the D BCPM drops to 3.52 and overall to 3.71. They better take care of this crap...its killing my GPA.

I'm hoping since I'm a bit more serious now and plan on focusing on schoolwork to bring my overall up to about 3.90 / 3.91 by the time I apply. I figure if I do that and get a decent MCAT I'm set. *crosses fingers*

About the Ads