how many characters did you use for your activity description?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

con1988

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering how other people filled out their activities section. The 1300 char limit seems like a lot... Did you describe your activities in point form or full sentences?

Most of my activities are described in only a few sentences, the longest one was about 500 characters. I used point form for some while full sentences for others...

Members don't see this ad.

The description for my main research lab was about 800-900 characters, and the ones for all my other activities weren't even close to that. I used point form for all. I don't know why you are doing points for some and full sentences for others, wouldn't that look sort of weird and random?

I would keep the same format throughout (all sentence preferably). Be concise; you don't have to explain EVERYTHING. I wrote good descriptions about my activities (I don't think I ever got NEAR the limit), but at every interview they wanted to know more about stuff. It gives them questions to ask. Give them the gist, and then you'll have plenty to talk about at interviews.

I thought about the problem of inconsistency. For the ones I used point form, i basically took out the pronoun "I". Instead of saying I shadowed Dr. S. I just said Shadowed Dr. S, did this, then that...

The ones in full sentences are usually description of a certain organization or club.