How many courses is 12 credits at your school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neil45

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking the following courses next semester and they're all upper-level science courses with 3 credits each:

Applied Microbiology
Evolution
Animal Physiology
Ecological Parasitology

With the exception of Evolution, all have labs. Overall, these courses add to just 12 credits. I'm thinking that this is weird, since I believe other universities would count it higher than just 12 credits. And since med schools like to see applicants with at least 15 credits I probably have to add one more course which I'm thinking an upper-level Georgraphy course (Urban Planning) that I'm really interested in.

Members don't see this ad.

My school is on quarters so most classes are 4-5 credits, most people take 3-4 classes a quarter.

All classes in my major are 5 credits so I usually take 4 classes for 20 credits, which is very unusual at my school (20 is the max without petitioning for more credits)

Members don't see this ad :)
Most lecture classes are three credit hours at my school, but labs will usually be an additional 1-2 credits. I am in three classes right now, and with labs and recitations it adds up to 14 credit hours.

My school's strange... every course is worth 1 credit, or .5 credits. AMCAS corrected for it, and changed all my courses to being worth 4 credits... so I guess each class I take is 4 credits. It's really pretty arbitrary I think.

So to answer your question, 12 credits would be 3 classes.

My 1st (private) college: almost all classes were 4 credits each, so 12 credits=3 classes & 4 classes=16 credits

Current (state) college: most classes are 2-3 credits, so those classes would count the same (4 classes=12 credits) there.

Try to find an easy online course or something to round out your credits. I would not take less than 15-16 credits per semester (I averaged 18 per semester originally...)

12 credits is 3 courses @ my school, all labs are separate 1-2 credit courses except chem, chem lab is part of the course and that is a 5 credit course. 124 credits to get a degree.

Most lecture classes are three credit hours at my school, but labs will usually be an additional 1-2 credits. I am in three classes right now, and with labs and recitations it adds up to 14 credit hours.
Mine is very similar to that.

Science lectures are 3 credits at my school and they allow us to take a lab for 1 or 2 credits.

Most students take 5 classes a semester on average, which adds up to 15 credits or so.

Non-lab courses are 3 credits. Lab courses are 4 credits: 4 credits for the course and 0 credits for the lab. Labs MUST be taken at the same time as the course. :(

Non-lab courses are 3 credits. Lab courses are 4 credits: 4 credits for the course and 0 credits for the lab. Labs MUST be taken at the same time as the course. :(

My school is so weird. Lab courses are considered 3 credits here. :S

At my school classes are 3 credits, but if they have lab they're 4 credits.

My school was on the quarter system, 99% of classes were 4 credit hours.

I'm taking 17 credits but it's only four classes. EMT-B eats up a lot of credits. It's all at a CC though so not the same intensity.

4 courses (full load) are 4 credits at my school...labs = 0 credit

So a course w/ 3 hours of lecture and 4+ hours of lab/recitation, and a course that only meets twice a week for lecture are "equally" 1 credit...

I think the ONLY course weighted more is PChem...1.5 credits

At my school 12 hours can be either:
a- 3 classes with 3 labs (class is 3 hours and lab is 1 hour)
b- 4 classes

Wow you know I thought it was strange going from UCI to a local CC.
Probably b/c UCI is quarter system.

At University of California, Irvine all classes are worth 4 units. (3 hours lecture + 1 hour discussion) even the easy breadth ones. If there's lab you throw on top of that 1 or 2 more units. Therefore, first year is gen bio., gen. chem, and english = 14 units already.

I just wanted to be a full-time student minimum at the CC and find out all classes are just 3 units, so you have to take 4 classes. It was a lot more work than I thought for that reason. Honestly, discussion doesn't make a class any harder and in fact you can usually skip it. At UCI, though, taking 4 classes start pushing the limit you can have billable hours (@20). How do people take five classes? Is that normal???

At my school, the lecture is usually 3 hours and the lab is 1 hour (even though it takes a lot more grr).