How many courses to take per semester for postbac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zorroy2k

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, how many courses per semester is advisable for someone who has to take all the pre-reqs but doesn't plan on working during this time and doesn't have any family commitments, i.e. Wife and kids. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The party line is to take as many as you feel you can get A's in. But if you are starting out, take it easy then ramp up as you get back into the groove.

This is good advice. Compare the process to running a race. If you aren't a runner, sprinting right out of the gate is likely to end up with you becoming exhausted quickly, injuring a muscle, and doing poorly overall. Take the time needed to let your muscles warm up and for your body to get into a groove - then start picking up steam.

Also, I've found many pre-meds saying, "you need to take at least x amount of credits if you're working," or "y amount if you're not working," in order to impress adcoms. After reading many interviews threads though, and reading advice from adcoms themselves, I have yet to find any proof that adcoms take the number of credit hours taken each semester as an important variable within an application.

Overall GPA > credit hours per semester

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, how many courses per semester is advisable for someone who has to take all the pre-reqs but doesn't plan on working during this time and doesn't have any family commitments, i.e. Wife and kids. Thanks.

I agree with everything said. I think the natural tendency for a new Post Bacc is to overload yourself with classes during the first semester thinking that a) you can handle the workload and b) you will get done faster. But that's a big mistake. The idea of the Post Bacc program is to repair your low undergrad GPA so you need to have a mindset that you will need to get all "A"s as much as possible. Every single Post Bacc student in my program told me their biggest mistake was taking too many classes too early and getting some "B's" in the process. They would prefer to take only 12 credits in that crucial first semester, which gives them time to get used to the professors' teaching style, feel the vibe of the school, get in tune with their own learning style, before they charge ahead. It's much easier to increase the workload during the Spring semester, and during the 2nd year, once you understand your own strengths and weaknesses.

I'm taking one class, the first in my post bacc., this fall. But I work full time and have twins on the way....so I really can't take much more. hopefully that doesnt look bad down the road. I'll hopefully be able to up my load down that road. my pln is to pay off my debt (almost there!) and then I will be able to start looking for 2nd shift jobs that would allow me to take more classes.

what if you just take the courses you need on your own, at a 4 year institution without being in a "postbac" program? hmmmMmMmmMm decisions...

what if you just take the courses you need on your own, at a 4 year institution without being in a "postbac" program? hmmmMmMmmMm decisions...

That's what i did. I took some upper level courses at a 4year without officially enrolling in a "postbac". I think that's totally acceptable.

To the OP, I think 12 credits is fine. I took 19-20 credits during undergrad in a school with a quarter system while working full time so i think i've demonstrated plenty that i can handle a rigorous course load.
When it came to taking some postbac classes, i did 12 credits per semester but they were all sciences with labs. Don't forget some classes demand more time, eg: Ochem lab alone was like 6hrs or more a week. It a little hard while working full time and having volunteer and other commitments.
If you're working full time, i think anything more than 12 is a bit too much. If you're not working, then help yourself. Remember your goal is to Ace these classes so i say stay with whatever load you can handle safely. Best wishes

That's what i did. I took some upper level courses at a 4year without officially enrolling in a "postbac". I think that's totally acceptable.

This is also what I am currently doing. It is not a formal post-bacc, it is a self made/do-it-yourself one.