How many credits should i take with MCATs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbehzad

Faddayy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering how many hours most people took when they were taking the spring MCAT? I am thinking a regular load (16 credits, 4 classes at my school) but 3 of the classes would be poly sci/history and physics. But lots of people i know are taking only 12 credits (3 classes), so I am wondering do you think the 1 less class will make that big of a difference? I am signed up for the Kaplan course, and I am wondering if I take a regular load if that will prevent me from gaining the most out of Kaplan and maximizing MCAT studying?
Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey pbehzad!

I think you should be fine with taking 4 classes. The point is not to take too many hardcore classes at once. One or 2 sciences max would be advisable as you are doing. Since you are taking 3 poli sci classes, you are probably used to them and should have no problem studying for the MCAT in the midst of that. Reading will also be good for the verbal section so it is all good. Good luck with your MCAT studying! Start studying during the break (read all the Kaplan books and do the questions in them). Get the Examkrackers verbal passages. They are great!

:)

Originally posted by pbehzad
I am signed up for the Kaplan course, and I am wondering if I take a regular load if that will prevent me from gaining the most out of Kaplan and maximizing MCAT studying?
Thanks for any advice.

I dropped down to 13.5 credits last spring before I took my MCAT. I was taking Kaplan concurrently with my classes, and even with the 13.5 creds, at first I felt like it was hard to get in much indepedent MCAT studying done between lectures, labs, and going to Kaplan twice a week. It took me a few weeks before I figured out a good agenda for maximizing the use of the Kaplan library (practice tests are their best resource!).

It's all about time management. Apportion your schedule accordingly. The MCAT is worth as much, if not more, than the 8 semesters of your coursework, so don't underestimate its importance. You probably won't hurt your MCAT performance unless you 1) procrastinate studying for it/neglect setting aside study time, or 2) overload your semester by taking 17+ credits along with a prep course. Avoid those pitfalls. Good luck!

tf

I am in the same boat- I am taking the MCAT in April and everyone has advised me to keep it to 12 credits. You are taking physics in that group so let me say that unless you enjoy that class, it can become the bain of your existence. 13 might be a better idea.