How Many Criminal (felonies), Sued, Non-Board Certified Staff At You School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CorpuSpongiosum

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't want to embarass my school by calling it out, but the answer is quite a few.....

Pretty much the majority who are not PHD's....

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you find this out?

do search on-line.

See if they are board certified, if they completed there residencies, if they even did a residency. If they have lost their license due to gross negligence, fraud, etc etc....

You'd be surprised at who lurks the halls of your school......

You'd be surprised at who lurks the halls of your school......
Perhaps this is an osteopathic school issue that I ought to stay out of as an allopathic student. I don't know about felonies or lawsuits. I do know, however, that physicians who have lost their licenses due to substance abuse problems are sometimes required to practice in an academic setting. It doesn't mean that they are bad doctors or not qualified, it just means that the doctor's state medical board feels more comfortable having that physician in an environment where his appearance and behavior are frequently observed by other physician colleagues. Some very fine physicians who had substance abuse problems in the past teach for just that reason - and some of them, we're lucky to have.

Perhaps this is an osteopathic school issue that I ought to stay out of as an allopathic student. I don't know about felonies or lawsuits. I do know, however, that physicians who have lost their licenses due to substance abuse problems are sometimes required to practice in an academic setting. It doesn't mean that they are bad doctors or not qualified, it just means that the doctor's state medical board feels more comfortable having that physician in an environment where his appearance and behavior are frequently observed by other physician colleagues. Some very fine physicians who had substance abuse problems in the past teach for just that reason - and some of them, we're lucky to have.

The OP is a D-bag, at best. It's definitely not an osteopathic or allopathic situation. Worst case scenario, it's exactly how Non-TradTulsa describes. Med schools (allopathic and osteopathic alike) are NOT hiring physicians with felonies. Doctors w/ substance abuse problems (very possible), but I've never come across a convicted felon at my school.

This thread should probably just die, considering who it was started by.

The OP is a D-bag, at best. It's definitely not an osteopathic or allopathic situation. Worst case scenario, it's exactly how Non-TradTulsa describes. Med schools (allopathic and osteopathic alike) are NOT hiring physicians with felonies. Doctors w/ substance abuse problems (very possible), but I've never come across a convicted felon at my school.

False. A DUI conviction is a felony. Elected Bushes, Cheneys and Kennedys have DUIs, and lots of doctors teaching in med schools have them. As NTT indicated, if you look into what it takes for a doctor to keep his/her license after getting a DUI, you'll never drink & drive.

Whether DUI is a felony is dependent on state law. There are states where possession of an ounce of "recreational" marijuana is a civil infraction. Not even criminal.

I was just about to post the same link. I quickly ran through it and didn't find a single state where a first time DUI conviction was a Felony. Not to mention, I don't ever recall referring to a DUI in my original post. If a doctor is found to have any sort of substance abuse/dependence problem (even without committing an actual crime, although it's often prescription drugs that they abuse), they are in jeopardy of losing their medical license.

Oh good lord. I'm just trying to make the point that it's not unthinkable for doctors, teaching in medical schools or not, to have a felony conviction. I'm not trying to say that the OP is all great. I'm not trying to say that every first non-manslaughter DUI is a felony everywhere. I'm just saying that it's not uncommon for a physician to get his/her 3rd DUI where somebody gets hurt, or to get busted self-scribing narcotics, and spend the next 5-10 years monitored by his/her state licensing board, doing non-clinical work (like teaching) before getting his/her license back. Also, consider that DUI-as-felony has been a fluid definition going back 40 years. They used to throw you in jail, not in rehab.

Oh good lord. I'm just trying to make the point that it's not unthinkable for doctors, teaching in medical schools or not, to have a felony conviction. I'm not trying to say that the OP is all great. I'm not trying to say that every first non-manslaughter DUI is a felony everywhere. I'm just saying that it's not uncommon for a physician to get his/her 3rd DUI where somebody gets hurt, or to get busted self-scribing narcotics, and spend the next 5-10 years monitored by his/her state licensing board, doing non-clinical work (like teaching) before getting his/her license back. Also, consider that DUI-as-felony has been a fluid definition going back 40 years. They used to throw you in jail, not in rehab.

And I'm trying to make the point that the overwhelming majority of doctors (teaching at med schools or not) do NOT have a felony. Fact of the matter is you need to severely injure someone or incur your 3rd or 4th DUI for it to be considered a DUI. If you're on your 3rd or 4th DUI as a physician, you likely no longer have a license to practice.

Finally, I bolded your last statement, because I have no idea what it means. DUIs, up until the last 30 years, were rarely considered a crime (in my personal opinion, they very much should be), so instead of even being thrown in jail, they were simply driven home or told to have someone else come pick them up. We can all thank MADD and other such groups for the DUI laws and current public's perception of DUIs that we see today.

Sued? Nearly every physician on this planet will be named in at least one lawsuit. Getting sued is pretty common. The other stuff is a different story, but I wouldn't worry about the getting sued thing too much. Hell, when we lived in South Florida, my dad was named in about 1 or 2 lawsuits a year. Moved to the midwest and it was 1 in 20 years. (Won them all)

So I'm not really sure what the purpose of your thread is op? To try to inflame others? To try to embarass someone specific at your school? Just b/c someone got a dui, or did something stupid as a kid, etc does not mean they shouldn't be allowed to teach at a med school. What would you rather they do, be delegated to working in the stock room. After looking at some of your other posts as were so nicely pointed out I cant quite figure out how you haven't been banned yet. :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown