Loves_Chai

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2003
Status (Visible)
Throughout this interview season I kept hearing about the increase in applicants to PMR. How much of that increase was from us DOs :) ? And how much of that increase is from Allopathic students? I have a feeling that a lot of this increase is from Osteopathic students. I'm curious to know who are DOs on this PMR forum.

drvlad2004

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2001
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Obviously from my signature, I am a DO. Regarding the increase in applicants, I had the impression that there were always a huge amount of DO applicants. From my school alone, there has been an average of 7-11 students/year who went into PM&R. I would guess that the # of US-trained MD applicants that has increased more than DOs. Throughout all of my interviews, I ran into only 6 FMGs/USIMGs. Thus, I would assume that there is a bigger increase in US applicants.

Last year's NRMP match showed that out of total # of applicants who matched, 56% of them were US-trained MDs? I wonder what percentage of the total applicants who matched were DOs? I would guess 25-35%.

Finally M3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'm sure the Osteos-to-be would be able to take the informal pulse of their perspective classes, but my allopathic class has 5 or 6 people applying to PMR...out of 240+.

I would guestimate on the interview trail that the MD/DO ratio was roughly 2:1, at least on the days and places I interviewed at. How's that for a scientific study :laugh:

I have heard from the MSUCOM people I run into on rotations that a lot of their classmates are interested in PMR...and heard that on the interview trail as well.

About the Ads
Nov 21, 1998
Over the rainbow
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I think that DO's get more exposure to PM&R at DO schools and the whole idea of musculoskeletal medicine that doesn't involve chopping bones off kind of intuitively obvious. And, PM&R is a great context to use the hands-on stuff that we learn---PT's are using it all the time! The other day I walked by and saw a PT doing cranial on a patient in the hospital. I had to look twice and just about fell over! The MD's could care less what the PT is doing, but if I said was going tweak my patient's temporal bone they would laugh me out the hospital...

PTjay

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2001
west hartford, CT, USA
Status (Visible)
YEAH PTs!!! PM&R is a strong possibility in my future as is a DO degree. You guys are great here, I love reading these posts.

-J

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.