How many ECs is enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EEL08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is probably one of those annoying questions but I didn't really find what I was looking for using the search function. I know there is no set number of hours and I'm not trying to do just enough. I guess I'm just concerned because of balancing my classes, being pregnant or breastfeeding, and working around my husband's schedule for the past few years I only have 10 months of volunteering in an Osteopathic hospital. About 6 months on the Oncology/Renal floor and about 4 in the ER. I plan on shadowing a DO this semester as soon as I can get my CV completed (not really sure how to include being a stay at home mom for 2 years and working mainly in retail before then). I did have a semester's practice experience working with troubled teens in a residential facility and was employed for a year working with the mentally ill. Other than that I don't have a lot of different experiences. I did volunteer 3 hours with Habitat and thought about joining them this semester or contacting the local Ronald McDonald House about volunteering there. I was also interested in volunteering with a wildlife group but I think I will have to let them know I can't do it. I'm taking O Chem 2, Physics 2 and two classes for my MPH degree this semester as well as studying to take the MCAT in May and taking care of my 2 kids so volunteering two different places will not work well. I will be doing a Public Health practice experience this coming summer as well. I guess now that I think about it this question really seems stupid but I typed it all out so I might as well post it. Has anyone heard anything about the kind of ECs or amount that schools are looking for?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard anything about the kind of ECs or amount that schools are looking for?

Something unique.

IMO its better to be devoted to a few things you are really interested in as opposed to spreading yourself thin to pad your resume.