How many first year applicants get accepted to dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

88Kieys

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now I know this is a random question that people probably don't know but I'm just curious. What do you guys think is the percentage of first year applicants that get accepted to dental school? 20%....40%? I'm curious because I was at a dental school impression clinic a week ago and there was a Q&A for the current dental students where someone asked how many students got in their first year applying. All of the students(majority) said they got in after there 2nd or 3rd year applying. It even took one girl 4 years of applying to get in.

A year before this event, I was at another impressions clinic at a different dental school and the same question came up to the current dental students, "How many of you got accepted your first year of applying?" of the 12 students being interviewed everyone of them did except 1 made it in their first year.

Like I said, this could be a total irrelevant question, but I was just curious on what is there percent of first year applicants that get accepted to dental school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt anybody will be able to provide you with a solid, legitimate answer.

Maybe with the provided information that user posted, we could assume 50% of 1st time applicants get in....

so 75% of enrollees are applicants with more than one strike at applying...

so 75% of enrollees are applicants with more than one strike at applying...
3/4 accepted students apply to dental school more than once? There is no way that is accurate.

3/4 accepted students apply to dental school more than once? There is no way that is accurate.

It is possible
there are only like 5000 to 6000 seats in the country

half of 1st time applicants is about 2000 to 2500 PLUS multi-time applicants, which like half of [total applicants MINUS 1st time applicants], so like 2500 to 3000

So 2000 to 2500 1st time applicants PLUS 2500 to 3000 multi-time applicant is approximately 5000 to 6000 seats taken

as a whole
1st time applicant enrollees is like 25%.... So yea

Yeah but that's not first time applicants bud.
I THINK that means enrolling in dental school for the first time, but I could be wrong.

@tooth knockn
What are you talking about? That makes no sense. You're saying that only 25% of first time applicants enroll? That's ridiculous.

Yeah but that's not first time applicants bud.
I THINK that means enrolling in dental school for the first time, but I could be wrong.

@tooth knockn
What are you talking about? That makes no sense. You're saying that only 25% of first time applicants enroll? That's ridiculous.
That's what I got out of it. That # of students enroll in dental school for the first time.