How many get 100th percentile every year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EdgeTrimmer

Probationary Status
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many get 100th percentile every year?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
100th percentile? No one
Seriously -- he is asking because his kid is in that range. AAMC publishes data -- 521 and up is 99%-ile and 524 and up is 100%-ile. There is no breakdown of the number of people with each score because there are so few up there. The best OP can do is imagine the upper tail of a bell curve from 521 to 528 and guesstimate numbers from how many take the test (AAMC reports in 3 year bands).

OP -- FYI, the number of test takers is around 90,000/yr, so you're looking at around 900 people 521 and above, probably around 450 people 524 and above (assuming 100%-ile really means 99.5%-ile), and you have to guess from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
To be in the 100th percentile you need to score higher than everyone on the test — including yourself lol

To be in the 100th percentile you need to score higher than everyone on the test — including yourself lol
Literally, yes, but AAMC publishes data, and 524 and above is labeled 100%-ile (I'm sure meaning it's 99.5%-ile, rounding to 100). As I recall, SAT published in .1 increments, and only went to 99.9%-ile to take your point into account, but, for whatever reason, AAMC likes whole numbers! :)

Because the number is so tiny, and because AAMC only releases data in 3-year bands, the number OP is looking for is both irrelevant and unpublished, so he's going to have to live with the guesstimate that around 450 people every year score 524 and above, without knowing how many people have each score. It's irrelevant because basically every adcom has posted at one time or another that MCAT scores above a certain level, but certainly in the low 520s (probably 98%-ile) have absolutely no incremental benefit to an application, so whether 300 or 2,000 people have a particular high MCAT score will not move the needle on an application (e.g, people with 515-520 are admitted to Penn/Hopkins/Harvard each year, and people with 521-526 are rejected -- wouldn't dare predict about 527-28, since so few people have that score!).

Last edited:
Literally, yes, but AAMC publishes data, and 524 and above is labeled 100%-ile (I'm sure meaning it's 99.5%-ile, rounding to 100). As I recall, SAT published in .1 increments, and only went to 99.9%-ile to take your point into account, but, for whatever reason, AAMC likes whole numbers! :)

Because the number is so tiny, and because AAMC only releases data in 3-year bands, the number OP is looking for is both irrelevant and unpublished, so he's going to have to live with the guesstimate that around 450 people every year score 524 and above, without knowing how many people have each score. It's irrelevant because basically every adcom has posted at one time or another that MCAT scores above a certain level, but certainly in the low 520s (probably 98%-ile) have absolutely no incremental benefit to an application, so whether 300 or 2,000 people have a particular high MCAT score will not move the needle on an application (e.g, people with 515-520 are admitted to Penn/Hopkins/Harvard each year, and people with 521-526 are rejected -- wouldn't dare predict about 527-28, since so few people have that score!).
I know it is totally irrelevant and won't matter for admissions. I know couple of students who got 100th percentile so curious. You can't assume my child is one of them :) I thought I read breakdowns from 99.5 above somewhere but couldn't find it.

You can get a perfect score, but like, they used to publish the numbers and some years literally none would happen. Occasionally some person on SDN would be claiming they had a perfect score from X year when it had been published zero people had such a score that year lol

You can get a perfect score, but like, they used to publish the numbers and some years literally none would happen. Occasionally some person on SDN would be claiming they had a perfect score from X year when it had been published zero people had such a score that year lol
One of the tutoring companies claim that they have 1 tutor and 8 students with 528. I am not asking about 528s, but 100th percentile. for this year it's 524-528.