How Many Have Successfully Appealed Financial Aid for More Money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brickmanli

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is an inappropriate question since some of you are still waiting for an acceptance.

I just received my financial aid package from Dartmouth today. Has anyone ever tried to appeal for more money and got it, especially at this late stage? I would like to explain to them that my parents have no assets except their savings accounts, and I'd rather get more unsubsidized loans than take money from them.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the school, but most schools that I know about are very susceptible to appeals. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

I don't know if it is too late for this, but some schools will reevaluate scholarship money too. I was successful at getting $10,000 more per year than I was initially offered because I took someone's advice and let them know of a school offering me more money, but told them that I really wanted to be with them if they could make it more financially feasible for me . . . and they came with some more loot!

So don't be hesitant to ask, because all they can say is no. Also, ask current students at the school whether they were successful, their approach, and the best person to contact . . . they'll know what works and what doesn't.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it that much different at public schools?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Quagmire, M.D.:
•Is it that much different at public schools?•••••I think it depends on the school, and you won't know until you try or talk to other students who have tried at that particular school. In my case, it was a public school (not my state school though).

I tried to appeal but the financial aid officer declined my plea and instead went on to brag about how much better they were compared to the other school and that that justified the aid difference. I tell you what though - one piece of advice I was told was to check out the kind of loans offered. One school offered me half a tuition scholarship of $17,000 BUT the rest of the $46+ budget would be made up with UNsubsidized loans. The other school offered a $12,315 scholarship but gave better loans (i.e. school loans whose interest kicks in after residency & subsidized loans). In the long run, I think the latter would be better.

Brickmanli,

I will be matriculating at Dartmouth this fall also. Nanci Cirone (head of fin. aid) and her staff are the most helpful group of people that I have ever encountered in academia. She was very flexible with my package and made some major changes after the initial offer. Give her a call at 603-650-1919. Congrats, I think that we are very lucky to be going to a school that puts so much value in their students. See you in the fall.

I agree, give DMS a call brickmanli. I have yet to get my financial aid package. I was wondering, has anyone recieved anything about health insurance offered to students? My plan just ended and I was wondering whether to wait and get the DMS plan or get a private health insurance plan.