Should I have mentioned financial aid in my letter of interest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RuggedShark

Reaction score
I wrote a letter of interest to a school with which I interviewed. In the letter, I effectively said "This school is my top choice, and the only reason I'm not writing a letter of intent is that I do not yet know about financial aid". Am I shooting myself in the foot by saying it comes down to money? Basically, is it bad to be talking about financial aid before you've been accepted - or not accepted? I dunno, something just feels wrong about it.

Most of the letter was about my interest in the school, updates on what I've been doing, etc. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: I wanted to update this thread for people who might have the same question in the future. The school did end up accepting me (and with a 70% merit scholarship!), so no need to panic. You did not kill your application necessarily. But this is just one school, so your results may vary. Best of luck with everything!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
I wrote a letter of interest to a school with which I interviewed. In the letter, I effectively said "This school is my top choice, and the only reason I'm not writing a letter of intent is that I do not yet know about financial aid". Am I shooting myself in the foot by saying it comes down to money? Basically, is it bad to be talking about financial aid before you've been accepted - or not accepted? I dunno, something just feels wrong about it.
More like shooting yourself in the head. With a .45 Colt M1911 pistol.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11 users

Most of the letter was about my interest in the school, updates on what I've been doing, etc. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
You wrote it, sent and now you are worried. No sense in worrying. What’s done is done. IMO if it were truly your top school it would be without any limitations-including financial aid. Financial aid is a bonus and if it’s for your top school, well congrats. Stop worrying. Nothing you can do now.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
More like shooting yourself in the head. With a .45 Colt M1911 pistol.
I don't know guns so I'm gonna assume thats a bad one. I swear I'm too dumb for this process or maybe just too naive - should've known better than to listen to someone also applying to this school.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
You wrote it, sent and now you are worried. No sense in worrying. What’s done is done. IMO if it were truly your top school it would be without any limitations-including financial aid. Financial aid is a bonus and if it’s for your top school, well congrats. Stop worrying. Nothing you can do now.
I think your opinion makes a lot of sense. Well, future people, it should go without saying, but don't be me.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
It's a lesson with broad application. Don't sound presumptuous. Just like you wouldn't (or shouldn't) go into a selective job interview and start asking how much vacation time you'll be able to take. And you wouldn't (or shouldn't) go on a first date and start asking how they'd like to split household bills. Are those topics important, and possibly determinative on whether you proceed? Sure. But take things one step at a time.

Have you looked at the school to see what percentage of interviewees get accepted?

Last edited:
It's a lesson with broad application. Don't sound presumptuous. Just like you wouldn't (or shouldn't) go into a selective job interview and start asking how much vacation time you'll be able to take. And you wouldn't (or shouldn't) go on a first date and start asking how they'd like to split household bills. Are those topics important, and possibly determinative on whether you proceed? Sure. But take things one step at a time.

Have you looked at the school to see what percentage of interviewees get accepted?
Less than 100% so I'm not loving my odds.

Well put, all of the above. I guess I've never run into this problem. All the places I've worked have been so short-staffed, they'd hire the first presentable serial killer who walked in the door. Or me. Lesson learned, if kinda painfully.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I can understand why you wrote it that way, but I agree with the wise minds around here that it was not a great tactical move. But depending on the school, this communication might be barely a feather on the scale (some schools care a lot more than others about being slathered in affection). If the bulk of your letter displayed your great interest and information about what you've been up to, this might just get shrugged off as naivete. Good luck this cycle!

Reactions: 1 users
Less than 100% so I'm not loving my odds.

Well put, all of the above. I guess I've never run into this problem. All the places I've worked have been so short-staffed, they'd hire the first presentable serial killer who walked in the door. Or me. Lesson learned, if kinda painfully.
To be clear, I don't think the mistake is a fatal (aka, would get your app thrown directly to the reject pile). If you're a strong candidate and a great fit otherwise, you may make it through despite this lapse. We've all made worse mistakes. Best of luck!