How many here have been uninsured?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Have you been or are you now uninsured?

• Uninsured currently

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • Uninsured in the past, insured currently

Votes: 50 37.6%
  • Never uninsured

Votes: 53 39.8%

• Total voters
Furthermore, no one is asking you do feel sorry for anyone. If you feel such animosity for people while working at free clinics, maybe you should stop working there. It seems like you have too much time on your hands...less criticizing and judging, and more doing. How do you know that the D&G bag isn't fake? Or that those phones weren't gift? Or that the phones are equipet with internet (making the bill 300+ dollars). You don't. So don't assume anything.

Direct quote from the att.com saying that you need a data plan.

Please note: Data plan for iPhone is required for the life of your iPhone service and cannot be removed in the future. If AT&T determines that you are using an iPhone on your account without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee.

I'm not going to refute your point that they also may have received the phones as a gift, however, I DOUBT that someone is paying their monthly $300 total cell phone bill because they are so kind and giving.

In regards to your Walmart example, people need to show PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY in what they can or cannot afford. If you are driving a $30k car, have plasma TV's, iphones, nice clothes, and whatever else and then show up to a free clinic; you have to admit that there is something wrong with that picture.

I do realize that there are truly people out there that cannot afford insurance and thus the free clinics are there. Helping these people is awesome and I love doing it; but I do find it irritating when people who obviously have choosen LUXURIES in life over NECESSITIES and then come into the clinic. You do NOT need an iphone to survive; I don't even have a blackberry/iphone because I find that taking out more loans for a "want" at this time not worth it.

Members don't see this ad.

You're right....luxury was a bad word to use. But I still think someone who works at wal-mart 38hrs a week has a right to a blackberry or any cell phone even if they can't afford private healthcare insurance. A cell phone could run as low as $45 a month while health insurance could be like $1000+ a month. Big difference...

I wouldn't use the word right period. But, yes there is no reason a low-income person shouldn't have a phone as they are easily affordable. An expensive fancy phone on the other hand, no.

You're right....luxury was a bad word to use. But I still think someone who works at wal-mart 38hrs a week has a right to a blackberry or any cell phone even if they can't afford private healthcare insurance. A cell phone could run as low as $45 a month while health insurance could be like $1000+ a month. Big difference...

There is a difference between a cell phone and a blackberry/iphone. If this person had a pay-as-you go phone with $10-20 that is fine. But from my previous posts, iphones require a data plan, so right there with a the cheapest talk plan, you are talking about $60-80 after taxes (now multiply this by how many the family has).

The average insurance cost for a family of 4 for an entire year is around $9k. (Found 2 sources, one said $6k and one said $12k..so I averaged) Thus, that is $750 per month, which I'm sure individuals with iphones, cable tv, and other luxaries could do without and pay for insurance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used to have great insurance. (My dad is in a great union) But now I don't since I couldn't afford to go away to college or come up with the 2k I needed to go to CC. I've been looking for a job that offers insurance for a while but since I have zero experience I can't find anyone who's willing to take a risk on me. What makes matters worse is that I was dx with bp II. I doubt I'd be able to afford to buy it myself even if I did have a job. This whole situation is just a bit depressing.

There is a difference between a cell phone and a blackberry/iphone. If this person had a pay-as-you go phone with $10-20 that is fine. But from my previous posts, iphones require a data plan, so right there with a the cheapest talk plan, you are talking about $60-80 after taxes (now multiply this by how many the family has).

The average insurance cost for a family of 4 for an entire year is around $9k. (Found 2 sources, one said $6k and one said $12k..so I averaged) Thus, that is $750 per month, which I'm sure individuals with iphones, cable tv, and other luxaries could do without and pay for insurance.

Yes, however, some people have nice things and now no longer have that kind of money. For example, when my husband was in the military we bought a big TV. We didn't pay for much, so we could afford to buy something decadent. Now he's out and we can't afford insurance... but we still have the TV. Selling it would not help our situation.

Overly impressive phones and cable plans may be different, but again, just because you still have nice things does not mean that you can still afford nice things. Stuff happens. If you can afford a new car and a house, and cable TV, you're probably doing well enough to afford insurance... but those are not the people that I think of when talking about the healthcare debate. Plenty of people cannot afford those things.

$9,000 is a lot of money to even a middle class family. While I agree that it can be frustrating seeing people with "toys" or luxuries and no health insurance, I also sympathize with them. Paying $750 every month just for insurance, not to mention the money that you have to spend on co-pays and prescriptions, can be overwhelming. Is it right that a family should have to give everything else just to have health insurance?

And honestly, the way the system is set up now if you don't have any asset, many times it is better to take your chances being uninsured and declare bankruptcy later if you have a major medical incident. You can clamor on about personal responsibility all you want, and I agree with you, to a point. But personal responsibility can only push people so far, you can't expect people to give up all their extra money for health insurance leaving nothing for play...you have to have some outlets or indulgences, even if you are "poor".

I am insured..however, my dad paid big price for it. consider we are middle class family making 45,000 a year in the south, we pay about 6,000 a year to get insure..there is gotta be a more affordable way..

You think that sucks. I have a badass insurance policy.... but my deductible is $5000.... So as soon as I find an extra five grand (a year) lying around I will be able to go see the doc.

This is a falacy.... you don't need $5,000 to see the doc. You can get treatment for common, minor illnesses for <$100, without an appointment, at outpatient clinics. You can see a health care provider to get a routine check up for far, far less than $5,000. If you state up-front that you will pay in cash at the time of the visit, you might even be able to negotiate a discounted fee.

I was uninsured myself for 3 mos between the end of grad school & the start of my first job.

Clearly, the system is broken and the stories are heartbreaking and, at the same time, make me angry at the system.

I'm not going to refute your point that they also may have received the phones as a gift, however, I DOUBT that someone is paying their monthly $300 total cell phone bill because they are so kind and giving.

In regards to your Walmart example, people need to show PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY in what they can or cannot afford. If you are driving a $30k car, have plasma TV's, iphones, nice clothes, and whatever else and then show up to a free clinic; you have to admit that there is something wrong with that picture.

I do realize that there are truly people out there that cannot afford insurance and thus the free clinics are there. Helping these people is awesome and I love doing it; but I do find it irritating when people who obviously have choosen LUXURIES in life over NECESSITIES and then come into the clinic. You do NOT need an iphone to survive; I don't even have a blackberry/iphone because I find that taking out more loans for a "want" at this time not worth it.
again, more assumptions....

And I will refute your statement because as a blackberry AND palm treo owner, I know that the data plan is highly reccomended (read, they make you believe you ahve to have it) but in fact, you do not.

Also, $9000 is a random quote from two random sources. My neighbor, who is middle to middle upper class pay $1300 a month for insurance on her and her husband only. She has a graduate degree is social work and she recently "resigned" from her place of work (she is early 50's) because it was shutting its doors in the near future. She does not plan to stay retired as she has said she cannot afford health care insurance otherwise. Quit applying your little anecdotes to the whole, THEY DO NOT FIT!

Car payment is probably well less than $750 a month, especially on a 30K car. I pay $600 month on a 36K truck. You most likely need a car to get to your job to make any money, especially if you don't live in a place with adequate public transportation.

Cable is less than $750 a month. I pay approx $110 a month and I pretty much everything available (all the premium channels AND internet).

And not that I trust Wiki or Google for much, but if you google the average iPhone monthly bill you get this. Average is around $70 bucks and one person even said they pay $45 before taxes/fees. Thats a far cry form your $300 estimate. I have a blackberry and I pay for not only my phone, my fathers phone (blackberry) and my mothers and brothers phone (regular). My bill is around $180 a month. So yeah, your numbers are way off. For the record, I use Verizon.

My rent on a two bed, two bath aprart? $650. Still less than your quoted "not so bad" $750/month health insurance.

Saying $750 a month on health care insurance (which may or may not be utilized continuously) isn't that big of deal is a bunch of BOGUS. Im guessing that you have never been uninsured, or that you have never had to pay for anything significant in your life (rent, utilities, car, etc & health care insurance all at the same time).

What should I do this month? Pay my car bill and my car insurance, my rent and utilities, or should I buy health insurance? Should I go without a cell phone, cable or internet (which wouldn't equal the cost of one months bill of health insurance anyway) or should I buy some health insurance. hmmmm.

And just so you know, not that it matters or is any of your business, but I am a full time federally benefited employee with a higher than average income. I have better health care coverage than the majority of people. And yet I still see how insurance companies are the biggest rip off on the face of the planet. Odd.

I wouldn't use the word right period. But, yes there is no reason a low-income person shouldn't have a phone as they are easily affordable. An expensive fancy phone on the other hand, no.
How can you say that Blackberrys are expensive? Verizon is giving away Blackberry's if you sign up or upgrade right now. I guess if you bought a Palm Treo 700wx when they first came out, like I did, they cost around $500 unlocked and without a phone plane. But these days, you can score lots of different PDA's for free or for < $100. Like mentioned before, if you upgrade on verizon right now, to a blackberry, you get one for free. Seems pretty cheep to me.

You just cant assume anything. You especially cant assume that because someone walks into a free clinic with an iPhone or a Blackberry that they can afford health insurance or that they are taking advantage of a free clinic.

not that I trust Wiki or Google for much, but if you google the average iPhone monthly bill you get this. Average is around $70 bucks and one person even said they pay $45 before taxes/fees. Thats a far cry form your $300 estimate. I have a blackberry and I pay for not only my phone, my fathers phone (blackberry) and my mothers and brothers phone (regular). My bill is around $180 a month. So yeah, your numbers are way off. For the record, I use Verizon.
Found it direct from AT&Ts website - $69.99 for 450 minutes and ulimited data. Hmmm, and I bet if you have mulitple IPhones, the price is blundled and is even less (they way it is for my phones - the more phones on the plan, the less the bill is than paying individual).

Any other BS you would like to feed us ChiDO?? :rolleyes:

I was using $100 per iphone as that is what my Sister and her fiance both pay (and they are on the same plan), so I added an extra phone (from the person I saw in the clinic) and said the total was $300. Even if we use your $210, that is a lot of money that could be put towards their medication and/or visit to their doctor.

Furthermore, add in your $110 for internet and cable (## provided by you) and you have covered HALF (210+110 = $320) of your health care expense if you were to buy insurance OR paying for the medication that you were prescribed 2 weeks ago in the free clinic (which is definitely 1/10th of that $320).

I never once said that our system is great and awesome; I believe there needs to be reform. My entire point was that people ABUSE the system no matter what and that is what is frustrating.

What should I do this month? Pay my car bill and my car insurance, my rent and utilities, or should I buy health insurance? Should I go without a cell phone, cable or internet (which wouldn't equal the cost of one months bill of health insurance anyway) or should I buy some health insurance. hmmmm.

Once again, people need to have personal responsibility, and decide what is important for them. People need to live within their MEANS and not splurge not things they cannot afford.

LizzyM said:
You can get treatment for common, minor illnesses for <$100, without an appointment, at outpatient clinics.

This is my point exactly. For the family that I saw at the free clinic, their medications cost LESS for the entire then their cell phone bill. Yet, they choose a LUXURY over a NECESSITY.

I'm going to continue to say this and hopefully it gets through to you (Hoody) eventually. People need to be responsible for their own expenses, their health, and the choices they make.

Im guessing that you have never been uninsured, or that you have never had to pay for anything significant in your life (rent, utilities, car, etc & health care insurance all at the same time)

I am fortunate to never have to be uninsured, but I did have a job previous to medical school and thus know exactly what I had to pay for health insurance. Furthermore, I currently have to pay rent, utilities, insurance, bills, ect while I am in school.

I choose NOT to get digital cable and get basic instead ($10), slowest internet ($20), and my cell phone plan is $29.99 (lowest minutes). I know that this is what I can afford with the loans I am taking out and want to minimize my debt. Sure, I can get the $100 digital cable with 20 HD channels and internet, with a new fancy iphone for $70, but I choose to live within my means and not carry an additional $200 in debt/loans each month.

How many american's live on credit each and every month and then pay hundreds of dollars in interest because they choose to spend more money then they make. Then they complain they can't afford health insurance. Does health insurance needs some kind of reform? yes. Do people need to learn how to be fiscally and personally responsible? yes. With both happen? Probably only the former unfortunately.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was using $100 per iphone as that is what my Sister and her fiance both pay (and they are on the same plan), so I added an extra phone (from the person I saw in the clinic) and said the total was $300. Even if we use your $210, that is a lot of money that could be put towards their medication and/or visit to their doctor.

Furthermore, add in your $110 for internet and cable (## provided by you) and you have covered HALF (210+110 = $320) of your health care expense if you were to buy insurance OR paying for the medication that you were prescribed 2 weeks ago in the free clinic (which is definitely 1/10th of that $320).

Once again, people need to have personal responsibility, and decide what is important for them. People need to live within their MEANS and not splurge not things they cannot afford.
Once again you need to understand that people don't have and extra $750 a month for health insurance. They may have an extra $400 a month after all their NECESSITY bills are paid. So let me guess, you want them to save the $400 each month and then after two months they can retroactively purchase a months worth of health care insurance.

wake the bleep up.
this is my point exactly. For the family that I saw at the free clinic, their medications cost LESS for the entire then their cell phone bill. Yet, they choose a LUXURY over a NECESSITY.

I'm going to continue to say this and hopefully it gets through to you (Hoody) eventually. People need to be responsible for their own expenses, their health, and the choices they make.
Cause having a place to live (and a mailing address to get a job) is a splurge. Cause having a car to drive to work when there is no other means of transpiration is a splurge. putting food on the table is a splurge. needing electricity and heat is splurge.

Don't quote me saying that I said it was alright for people to have all the things I listed. I was listing those things and the price I pay for each so you would quit inflating your numbers and making them seam relative in comparison to paying $750/month health insurance coverage that you may, or may not use.
I am fortunate to never have to be uninsured, but I did have a job previous to medical school and thus know exactly what I had to pay for health insurance. Furthermore, I currently have to pay rent, utilities, insurance, bills, ect while I am in school.
you mean you have students loans paying them. and doesn't your tuition fee cover student insurance? or do you (your loans) pay for private insurance out of pocket? let me guess, you work a full time job as well as are a full time medical student and you have to walk to school both ways up hill, naked. :yawn:

problem numero uno. most people who dont udnerstand healthcare reform were also born with silver spoons.
I choose NOT to get digital cable and get basic instead ($10), slowest internet ($20), and my cell phone plan is $29.99 (lowest minutes). I know that this is what I can afford with the loans I am taking out and want to minimize my debt. Sure, I can get the $100 digital cable with 20 HD channels and internet, with a new fancy iphone for $70, but I choose to live within my means and not carry an additional $200 in debt/loans each month.
you should be America's life skills coach. :clap:
How many american's live on credit each and every month and then pay hundreds of dollars in interest because they choose to spend more money then they make. Then they complain they can't afford health insurance. Does health insurance needs some kind of reform? yes. Do people need to learn how to be fiscally and personally responsible? yes. With both happen? Probably only the former unfortunately.
Problem numero dos. You assume that all people who are uninsured or underinsured are bums with no responsibility whatsoever. While we have agreed (numerous times I believe) that while your rants are applicable to some, you have neglect to see the millions of hard working americans who are responsible yet cannot afford healthcare or how having to pay for healthcare affects their lives.

What you don't know doesn't hurt you right? Kinda like people not even knowing (without googling) who the 6 people are that comprise the health care reform committee or knowing that people in these groups receive millions of dollars from insurance and drug companies. Ahhhhh, ignorance is bliss.... :oops:

Fact: Other countries with universal health care coverage cannot afford luxuries like iphones. They've never heard of them. It's because they have their priorities straight.

Fact: Other countries with universal health care coverage cannot afford luxuries like iphones. They've never heard of them. It's because they have their priorities straight.

And because they're not rich?

Once again you need to understand that people don't have and extra $750 a month for health insurance. They may have an extra $400 a month after all their NECESSITY bills are paid. So let me guess, you want them to save the $400 each month and then after two months they can retroactively purchase a months worth of health care insurance.

wake the bleep up.

Cause having a place to live (and a mailing address to get a job) is a splurge. Cause having a car to drive to work when there is no other means of transpiration is a splurge. putting food on the table is a splurge. needing electricity and heat is splurge.

Don't quote me saying that I said it was alright for people to have all the things I listed. I was listing those things and the price I pay for each so you would quit inflating your numbers and making them seam relative in comparison to paying $750/month health insurance coverage that you may, or may not use.

you mean you have students loans paying them. and doesn't your tuition fee cover student insurance? or do you (your loans) pay for private insurance out of pocket? let me guess, you work a full time job as well as are a full time medical student and you have to walk to school both ways up hill, naked. :yawn:

problem numero uno. most people who dont udnerstand healthcare reform were also born with silver spoons.

you should be America's life skills coach. :clap:

Problem numero dos. You assume that all people who are uninsured or underinsured are bums with no responsibility whatsoever. While we have agreed (numerous times I believe) that while your rants are applicable to some, you have neglect to see the millions of hard working americans who are responsible yet cannot afford healthcare or how having to pay for healthcare affects their lives.

What you don't know doesn't hurt you right? Kinda like people not even knowing (without googling) who the 6 people are that comprise the health care reform committee or knowing that people in these groups receive millions of dollars from insurance and drug companies. Ahhhhh, ignorance is bliss.... :oops:

Not going to read that, but I'm willing to bet it's full of comments where Hoody's trying to be witty and ends up sounding like a *****.

Found it direct from AT&Ts website - $69.99 for 450 minutes and ulimited data. Hmmm, and I bet if you have mulitple IPhones, the price is blundled and is even less (they way it is for my phones - the more phones on the plan, the less the bill is than paying individual).

qft. my iphone bill is ~$80 a month after taxes and adding an additional iphone doesn't increase the fee for the data plan. also, you can buy an iphone from apple for as low as $99 and could probably find a used cheaper one on ebay or somewhere like that.

I have no insurance and haven't had one for the past 10 months. I applied for one that would cost about $80 a month, but I got rejected for a pre-existing condition and was offered an alternative plan of monthly premium $540. No thanks. It's more than my monthly rent. I sure have a few things to say about the healthcare system at interviews.

I've always been insured, and many MD's in the family so no need to worry if I ever lose it.

I have no insurance and haven't had one for the past 10 months. I applied for one that would cost about $80 a month, but I got rejected for a pre-existing condition and was offered an alternative plan of monthly premium $540. No thanks. It's more than my monthly rent. I sure have a few things to say about the healthcare system at interviews.

I wish you would take more personal responsibility for your healthcare and stop looking for hand-outs from big brother. :laugh:

jk- i feel for you buddy. Great mdapps profile btw!! I wish mine was going as well as yours.

Were you born in the U.S.? If so, you probably were insured as a child via Medicaid or a SCHIP plan.

Medicaid covers all persons below the poverty line in exactly zero states. In some states, Medicaid isn't really funded despite the availability of matching federal funds. Medicaid's low reimbursement prompts many providers not to accept it. This is largely beause Medicaid is for the poor. They might actually fund it if everybody had to use it, and then they could get cooperation from the middle class.

SCHIP was created in 1997, but the number of uninsured children continues to rise. 2/3 of newly uninsured children were in families less than 200% of the poverty line. http://www.vimo.com/reports/uninsured.pdf

Bush vetoed expanding the funding of SCHIP twice. Though I don't think it was the ideal solution, I'm glad they passed SCHIP. That year was one of the few years the number of uninsured did not increase much, but it remains underfunded and is the wrong approach. Caste-based health systems won't work, least of all in a representative democracy where it is considered shameful to be poor.

While we're on the subject, which amendment authorizes the government to require citizens to purchase insurance?

Necessary and proper clause + commerce clause, unless you're a strict constructionist. Healthcare expenses are 2.2 trillion per year and eats up 16% of our GDP: A threat to economic security.

Clearly you have never served uninsured or underinsured people.

Get off your pedestal. And make sure karma doesnt hit you in the ass on the way out (especially if your ass is as big as your head) :rolleyes:

We shouldn't put as much stock into anecdotes as he does, because he's wrong to do so. I have worked with the poor and I don't see them whip out expensive blackberries either, but maybe he has. But neither his nor my experience matters because we can't determine what is usually the case based upon our personal experiences. That takes statistics.

"Cost of a bowl of soup at homeless shelter $0.00 dollars

Having Michelle Obama serve your soup $0.00 dollars

A homeless person who is receiving government funded meals while taking a picture of the first lady using his $500 Black Berry cell phone... Priceless"

Some people prioritize different things. I've seen people with nice sports cars who live in trailer parks. People with nice houses who drive crappy cars. People with expensive cell phones who don't have cars. Some people who don't have much would like to have just one nice thing, instead of 3 mediocre things. It happens in a consumption-worshipping society.

It's hard to infer much about a person's income based upon a 500 dollar item because 500 dollars isn't very much money unless they're spending proportionally on their car/house/etc. Maybe they had enough money to buy a 500 dollar item last year but lost their job and are eating through their money faster than they can find a new job. One might be able to make the case that welfare programs should not dispense cash, but food stamps for nutritious food, utility subsidies, and things like that, though. And maybe make people work for it to the greatest extent possible while they can't find a regular job.

You might say that people who do not prioritize their health deserve to die early. While I do disagree with that, the point is that what we want is to reduce costs for the wider society. If we let them be irresponsible by being uninsured, it will affect the rest of us when they declare bankruptcy from ER/inpatient visits. We can introduce incentives to reward responsible and irresponsible behavior, without the supreme lack of pragmatism that is found in letting people continue to go without coverage. For example we could cover more cost-effective things at a higher rate, and things that were preventable given different behaviors at a lower rate. We should also tax unhealthy foods to hold people accountable for that.

Wow 4 years!?!? :eek: Exactly how many hours a week? 2? Please, you're the one on the pedestal. No one gives a s*** about your volunteer work, and it certainly doesn't give you the right to talk like you know more than medical students.

This med student worship is just disgusting. They aren't all geniuses and they don't all know a lot about healthcare policy or society. Maybe I'd yield to them when it comes to anatomy or pathology, but even then they're not infallible. Volunteer work is more relevant than pre-med versus med student status for this issue.

And because they're not rich?

or because they're not getting screwed by 22% overhead (2% in Taiwan, 5-10% in pluralistic systems like Germany and Switzerland), and massive malpractice costs. Other than America, the richest nations do have universal coverage, though not always by single payer. If anything, America's dominance is diminishing because of our poor management of healthcare.

I am currently uninsured. I cannot afford to buy insurance. I can barely afford food and given the choice between the two, I would take food over insurance.

i have been uninsured for so long, i no longer know what being insured feels like. I cut my finger once while cooking. I went to a clinic to get it stitched. 6 stitches and $1100 bill later, i decided I am never getting sick again.

I broke my fibular playing soccer two years ago. luckily i guess it was a simple fracture with no displacement. I stayed in bed the entire weekend with my leg wrapped in ice. Hopped around classes with one foot the following week and walked with a limp for 3 months before the thing healed completely. yeah I started playing soccer less, i stick to running now.

Yes I am out of school now and severely underemployed. My choice is either pay for basic living expenses + food, or buy exorbitant insurance with a high deductible. In 5 years of having no health insurance, I have only spent $1000 on healthcare. I see no reason to spend that much buying health insurance in a month. To be honest i don't even have that amount of money.

And don't call me lazy, I work part time in 2 places that add up to over 50 hours a week, and I am taking 17credit hours at the university to finish up my pre-reqs for med school.

And yeah Chido, I have one of those nice PDA phones (got it for freee) and i def have cable tv. Sorry i refuse to walk around in rags and live like a monk so that I can give insurance companies my entire paycheck.

I got my global transfer plan. In case of emergency, I will be sent back to my home country where they have universal health care.

Yes. I was uninsured until I went to college and was required by my university to have school-provided coverage. When I did go to the doctor it was paid for by my family (who rarely took me) or me.

After working EMS and working in different clinics, I've seen many examples of people considered to be poor by almost every definition of the word. There are those that genuinely need the services provided by shelters and the like and others that will indeed have more luxury items than most because they know that the necessities will be provided. It ain't photoshop, it's reality.

We can't assume everyone takes advantage of "the system" like this, but it sure does p*ss me off when it happens. Mainly because there are many in this world who truly need the resources that aren't available due to such greed.

A (non-medical) example: I live in NY state. The State had this GREAT idea: We'll send a $200 debit card (one for every child in the home) to everyone who qualifies for government assistance to help pay for each child's school supplies! :idea:

The result? Most of the local ATMs ran out of money within 24 hours and Sony's stock went up about 2000%. You have never seen so many Wal-Mart stores experiencing a shortage of HDTVs and video game systems in your life.

I want to go to school that requires these items. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Medicaid covers all persons below the poverty line in exactly zero states. In some states, Medicaid isn't really funded despite the availability of matching federal funds. Medicaid's low reimbursement prompts many providers not to accept it. This is largely beause Medicaid is for the poor. They might actually fund it if everybody had to use it, and then they could get cooperation from the middle class.

SCHIP was created in 1997, but the number of uninsured children continues to rise. 2/3 of newly uninsured children were in families less than 200% of the poverty line. http://www.vimo.com/reports/uninsured.pdf

Bush vetoed expanding the funding of SCHIP twice. Though I don't think it was the ideal solution, I'm glad they passed SCHIP. That year was one of the few years the number of uninsured did not increase much, but it remains underfunded and is the wrong approach. Caste-based health systems won't work, least of all in a representative democracy where it is considered shameful to be poor.

:confused:

Did I say that Medicaid covered all persons below the poverty line? I am specifically talking about a special class -- CHILDREN -- who can qualify in some instances even if their parents don't qualify. And I didn't even say all children.

Secondly, I am aware of the date of SCHIP's inception. If the person I was talking to is 18-22 yrs of age then that means he/she could have been covered as young as 6 yrs or as old as 10 yrs.

Thirdly, I told the poster "probably".

Uhm, I'm aware of all this info you posted so WTF are you talking about and how does it pertain to what I said to the poster I was responding to?

What about my post made you spew out all of these factoids obtained from Wikipedia that you memorized strictly for the purpose of impressing the Ad Com during your interviews? Apparently, it's outdated b/c you're stuck on Bush even though Obama expanded SCHIP several months ago. :rolleyes:

Chido, have you ever, you know...talked to the poor that you claim to love serving and tried relating to them? sounds like you don't know too much about any culture except your own. it's sad to have these opportunities and still be in your bubble.

Sorry i refuse to walk around in rags and live like a monk so that I can give insurance companies my entire paycheck.
:claps:
exactly.

:confused:

Did I say that Medicaid covered all persons below the poverty line? I am specifically talking about a special class -- CHILDREN -- who can qualify in some instances even if their parents don't qualify. And I didn't even say all children.

Secondly, I am aware of the date of SCHIP's inception. If the person I was talking to is 18-22 yrs of age then that means he/she could have been covered as young as 6 yrs or as old as 10 yrs.

Thirdly, I told the poster "probably".

Uhm, I'm aware of all this info you posted so WTF are you talking about and how does it pertain to what I said to the poster I was responding to?

You used probably covered in one sentence and then all eligible in the next sentence. My purpose was to remind people that eligible definitely doesn't mean covered, as your post may be taken to imply otherwise, and particularly when we're talking about Medicaid or SCHIP.

What about my post made you spew out all of these factoids obtained from Wikipedia that you memorized strictly for the purpose of impressing the Ad Com during your interviews? Apparently, it's outdated b/c you're stuck on Bush even though Obama expanded SCHIP several months ago. :rolleyes:

Doubt adcoms would ask me about SCHIP, nor would I want to bring it up. No reason not to talk about Bush here since those here that you referred to were under 18 at the time he was in office. My purpose honestly wasn't to tear you down, and given your reaction to discourse I'll try to steer clear of you from now on.

Last edited:
We should note that a significant portion of the uninsured are above 75k a year and choose not to be insured.

Anyway, I'm very fortunate to still be under my dad's retired military health coverage. I believe I keep it until 25, as long as I am a full-time student. I have a $12 co-pay on most things.

Under Austrian economic theory, the dissolution of the current system to a catastrophic-coverage only system would drastically lower basic health care prices and also put more money in your pocket and the pocket of your employer (who could then afford to pay you more, should you be worth it). I believe Austrian economics works, but I haven't had the chance to see it implemented in wide-reaching full scale since I got into it.

I work for a local health department and do see quite a few people on government-assistance programs who still have "toys". Personally, it is frustrating to see when I work so hard myself and have so little. What upsets me the most are those with a demanding sense of entitlement-"It's free and I want it NOW!" Perhaps they are just trying to compensate for a lack of control in their lives, I'll never know.

Anyhow, the point I wanted to make is that despite all of this, I am so glad that the assistance is available for those families who truly do need it and appreciate it. We do end up carrying the weight of a lot of people who are perfectly capable of taking care of themselves yet choose not to. They are the proverbial bad apples. Let's not let them ruin it for the bunch.

We should note that a significant portion of the uninsured are above 75k a year and choose not to be insured.

This is quoted often, but is not entirely true...the 75k number refers to household income. That includes living with roommates even if you aren't related and don't share money. Since many young people live with roommates after college this number is skewed, it's almost impossible to know by how much, but it should not be taken at face value.

Also, 75k in a city like new york or LA is very different than making 75k in the midwest. A large portion of these people don't necessarily choose to be uninsured but are because of other monetary responsibilities such as student loans.