How many hospital years--equal residency?

Started by baronzb
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

baronzb

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How many hospital years equal a residency for a new grad working in a hospital? When does one become competitive for other hospital/inpatient work?

What caliber of hospital (size and variety of dpts.) factors into the equation mentioned above? Thank you.
 
Answer could be infinity... some hospitals have a department requirement that a residency is a requirement for employment, such as UCLA... So unless you check off completed residency on the app, your application gets tossed...

I’ve heard number like three thrown around, however you should read the requirement when you apply, it’s usuallh specified like “residency or X yrs of experience”...

Then there is also the movement to try to make residency a requirement for hospital pharmacists...

So, in summary it differs from institution to institution
 
UCLA is a teaching medical center in a large city--makes sense. I'm talking about the general hospital in a mid-sized city.

Country hospitals may not have a transplant dpt., do open heart surgery, or chemotherapy, etc. How big of a deal is that?

What is the definition of a small hospital? Would holiding the title of clinical pharmacist make one more competitive for staffing hospital work?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've seen job postings asking anywhere from 1 year to 5 years. The higher the number the less likely you'd even want to work with that management.

If you ask me, 1 year of residency is equal to 0.7 years of inpatient experience. I've never met a freshly graduated resident who I would trust to run a pharmacy more than someone who has been doing it for a year.
 
If you ask me, 1 year of residency is equal to 0.7 years of inpatient experience. I've never met a freshly graduated resident who I would trust to run a pharmacy more than someone who has been doing it for a year.
That's my impression. Not to mention, every residency is different in how it prepares the resident for the real world. I know mine sucked.