1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

How many hours a week do YOU study?

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by LabDoc33, Sep 7, 2014.

1. LabDoc33

Pre-Medical
    For all the non-trads alike out there with jobs.

How many hours do you devote a week to studying for the MCAT?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. futuremdforme

5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I studied ~15-20 hours a week for 5 months and a got a 36. I studied for 1-2 hours before work, 40 minutes during my commute (AO or pre-reading a chapter), and sometimes an hour when I got home. I would do 4-12 hours on the weekend, depending on various factors. It sucks, I know!

4. LabDoc33

Pre-Medical
    Wow, nice score!

I have about 5 months until my test date as well and I am able to contribute max of 15-20 hours a week. I am taking a Princeton review live online class at night which totals to 7.5 hours a week plus whatever other self study I can get in.

I am at the beginning of this studying journey and I was wondering how much everyone else was able to do it, there aren't enough hours in the day!

5. kraskadva

kraskadva ...
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I did ~5 months, ~12-15 hrs a week and got a 32.
    1-2 hours a day during the week & ~6-8 hrs on the weekend
    For content review I had a study group MWF for 1.5-2 hrs then self study on alternate days & weekend. Practice exams we started with 1 full section every other day, reviewing answers on alternate days, for ~5 weeks, then FLs on the weekend and reviewing answers through the week for ~5 weeks.

6. LabDoc33

Pre-Medical
    I plan on taking every FL I can get my hands on, I'm fortunate enough that my work schedule gets significantly easier during the last month of my prep from mid-December to January. I plan on taking as many FL's as I can during that time period on top of starting to take one every other week starting at the end of this month. I will probably save a hand full of AAMC exams for that time frame.

I am really lacking in content since I took most of the prereqs almost 4 years ago now, plus I am currently taking physics II and organic II.

7. wdwrn

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Wow, OP - taking Physics II and Organic II AND studying for MCAT? You kick butt. Thanks for the motivation...! Good luck.