How many hours/day do you spend studying for pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BetseyJohnson

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a first-year pharmacy student. My goal hours per day include 10 hours/day studying/going to class on M-F+Sunday and 5 hours on Saturday, b/c Saturday is my day for running errands & such...not that I always achieve these goals, but I'm just wondering if I'm studying enough...so, how much time do you spend studying/going to class each week?? Merci beaucoup!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a first-year pharmacy student. My goal hours per day include 10 hours/day studying/going to class on M-F+Sunday and 5 hours on Saturday, b/c Saturday is my day for running errands & such...not that I always achieve these goals, but I'm just wondering if I'm studying enough...so, how much time do you spend studying/going to class each week?? Merci beaucoup!!

I have class from 9-3 most days - off on Friday except for an exam every other week, and on Tuesday my day can go until 6pm or later. I definitely don't put in 10 hours a day though - maybe an extra hour or two at home each night and more the few days before an exam. I probably should be studying harder, but so far it's worked OK for me (GPA is 3.5ish).

This year, my second year, I am doing a better job of actually studying a little every night. It tends to be about 1-2 hours a day and then a lot more the week leading up to exams. I do some studying on the weekends but not much until it gets close to exams. There are some days, espcially those days that I am not done until 4 or 6 that I just don't feel like studying at all. On those days I try to get some studying done during breaks we have during the day. So on average I would say I study 5-7 hours during the week and around 2-4 on the weekends. It worked last semester, we'll see about this semester.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
you guys are so smart.

I have class from Mon-wed-friday from 9-1....i study more than 10 hours a day..hihihihi i only have 2-3 hours to sleep. I think i am not that smart..that's why hihihihi :)

Hi everyone, I have a couples q's regarding preceptors in pharmacy school
could someone tell me:
-if each of the pharmacy students have a preceptor, if so do we pick our favorite
-What is the role of a preceptor ? (I thought sort of like mentor?)
-If so, is having a preceptor help at all?

Thank you

you guys are so smart.

I have class from Mon-wed-friday from 9-1....i study more than 10 hours a day..hihihihi i only have 2-3 hours to sleep. I think i am not that smart..that's why hihihihi :)
Totally agree, I study like 7 hours during the weekdays (after school and before classes start) and about 10 hours or more during the weekend. I study more as exams come by

Reactions: 1 user
the night before the exam, all nighter

Wow, how do you manage that? Just doing enough to pass, become a good pharmacist and fully enjoy your school experience right?:hardy:

today zero, tomorrow, maybe 3-4 hours for my thursday final

it depends what's the next day. it's either nothing or 4-5 hours usually for me

I would say no average about an hour per day, but there is a ton of fluctuation, some days I won't do anything and other days I'll put in 3-4 hours. Now if we're talking about test time, then easily closer to 8-10 hours per day.

This year, my second year, I am doing a better job of actually studying a little every night. It tends to be about 1-2 hours a day and then a lot more the week leading up to exams. I do some studying on the weekends but not much until it gets close to exams. There are some days, espcially those days that I am not done until 4 or 6 that I just don't feel like studying at all. On those days I try to get some studying done during breaks we have during the day. So on average I would say I study 5-7 hours during the week and around 2-4 on the weekends. It worked last semester, we'll see about this semester.

I think this is a good system...I try to make myself adhere to a set schedule whether I have an exam coming up or not. Like 8-10:00 Mon-Thurs and a few more hours each Sat and Sun. I really like being ahead and repetition is your friend...IMO nothing worse than trying to cram with an all-nighter the day before.

Yikes. How does this work out for you?

I can't stay up much past 12 anymore. I did enough of that all-night business during undergrad.

I study a little each day ("review" is a better word; it's not as focused and I'm usually just brushing up on something that I wasn't that clear on, and I'm usually watching TV or something) but I mostly don't really start studying hard-core until a few days before, depending on what else is going on during the week. But I also RARELY skip class, take stellar notes (not on my computer, or else I'll play), and I work 20-25 hours a week (not by choice). When I'm at work, I counsel a lot and talk to patients. I consider that part of my studying.

After two years of pharmacy school, I have over a 3.9. So I'm doing something right.

Yikes. How does this work out for you?

I can't stay up much past 12 anymore. I did enough of that all-night business during undergrad.

I study a little each day ("review" is a better word; it's not as focused and I'm usually just brushing up on something that I wasn't that clear on, and I'm usually watching TV or something) but I mostly don't really start studying hard-core until a few days before, depending on what else is going on during the week. But I also RARELY skip class, take stellar notes (not on my computer, or else I'll play), and I work 20-25 hours a week (not by choice). When I'm at work, I counsel a lot and talk to patients. I consider that part of my studying.

After two years of pharmacy school, I have over a 3.9. So I'm doing something right.

I have a similar system. And I agree about the not being able to stay up late part. I think I am getting old. I cannot pull all-nighters like I used to. Fortunately, I used to work nights, so I can use that experience to force myself to stay awake all night if I absolutely need to. I usually start to fade around 3 or 4 am though.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the past semester (second semester 3rd year), I had class from 8am-6pm Mon and Wed, from 9:30am-4pm Tue and Thur, and from 8am-11am Fri. There are gaps in between Mon and Wed classes, so I study for about 3 hours, study during eating lunch, etc. For the evenings, usually study for 4 hours, an average of a total of 6-7 hours of studying a day. I have work study too and I work about 10 hours a week. It's a lot of work, just stay on top of your schoolwork (as in, don't skip class, pay attention, take notes, use a recorder and go back to the time frame you missed notes/did not understand).

From year 1-4, about 2-3 hours/day and that's not even consistently. It was more like a cram when the exam is around the corner.

During 5th year, the studying eventually went up to 3-4 hours at best consistently.

HI. I was wondering if there are any Touro University students in here. If so, could you describe your days. I've heard that are different than the other CA schools since they do a 2+2 program. How does that differ compared to traditional pharmacy schedules??

Thanks!

Hi everyone, I have a couples q's regarding preceptors in pharmacy school
could someone tell me:
-if each of the pharmacy students have a preceptor, if so do we pick our favorite
-What is the role of a preceptor ? (I thought sort of like mentor?)
-If so, is having a preceptor help at all?

Thank you

I am fairly sure that by law only one preceptor to one intern. I do not know what you mean by "picking your favorite." I'm sure that outside of school you will be able to pick your preceptor, but I don't think you are able to do so for school-related experience.

As far as I know, a preceptor is supposed to be a mentor, although some are much better than others..therefore some are more help than others.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Today 0 hours...my shows come on tonite.

Hmmm, well I pull all-nighters before an exam too. Ha, ha, its not because I procrastinated studying, its just that my adrenaline is much higher right before the exam, and I retain so much more. Ummm, if I'm too tired to pull an all-nighter then I'll take a 1-3 hour nap. Its kind of an art. If you don't get enough sleep then you'll do worse on the exam. However, some nights I can go without sleep. Also you have to consider the length of the exam, and what time of the day its at. Don't get me wrong, I study a lot on the weekends, and the weekdays too. I'm doing pretty good though; I got a 4.0 for the last two quarters. I've had 2 exams/week for the past three weeks. First time I've pulled 2 all-nighters in a week for three weeks. It has taken a great physical toll on me, and now my sleeping schedule is messed up. It's not for most people, but I guess it works for me :rolleyes:

I can't do all nighters anymore, usually I'll go to bed around midnight and get up at 4 and start studying again.

Yesterday, I did my self-study CD for the pharmacist immunization course. It took over 4 hours to do.

How about everyone else?

Taking a break from about...7 hours of cardio right now.

For me it basically fluctuated...some days I really didn't look at anything. When I had a test coming up, I maybe studied 2-3 hours a day for a few days leading up to the test, then 4-5 hours a day for the 2 days before the test. Of course, if I was a bigger exam or I needed a better grade, then I hit the books a little harder, but never more than 6 hours a day. After that much, I basically stopped retaining information.

Of course, I wish I could have been diligent enough to study maybe 2 hours a day every day...that would have made some finals a lot easier. But, I still learned the information...you basically need to find a regimen that you can stick to and that gives you good results.

If I have one or more tests in one week, you'd see me studying non-stop 2 days prior to the test. If I have no tests that week, but some homework/reading, then maybe 1 or 2 hours a night max. This semester has been pretty crazy because we have a compressed semester what with IPPEs coming up. IPPE is where we have to work in a pharmacy for three weeks in April/May in order to get credit.

In short, I spend anywhere from 30 mins to 3 hours daily. Most days it's 1 hour-ish, and it's difficult to say exactly how much because here's why:

Honestly I used to wake up at 5 everyday, and I'd just read. Nothing fancy, just read something. It could be pharmacy, comics, a good book, etc. Importance is in just the fact that you read fresh in the morning. If only for just 30 minutes, that's good enough.

This worked for me, because you will genuinely develop an interest for your subject matter, and then you find that you don't really "study" at all. For the most part I just go to class, I kind of just sit there with a sheet of paper and just pay attention to the professor. I may draw, I may take notes. I may read a little bit after coming home, I may update wikipedia pages in an effort to help others out. I play games, hang out with friends, play guitar, etc. But then again the next day I'll wake up at 5 and just read something.

In the end, whether you rock a 4.0 or 2.0, the importance is that you actually learn something. No, you do not need to remember everything, but you do need to remember how to go about finding anything. You'll find that while you're in school they'll teach you the most updated information, but once you get out you'll quickly fall behind if you do not know how to find your own information.

"50% of what they teach you will be wrong in the future, trick is figuring which half it is..." - Dr. Linn

In short, I spend anywhere from 30 mins to 3 hours daily. Most days it's 1 hour-ish, and it's difficult to say exactly how much because here's why:

Honestly I used to wake up at 5 everyday, and I'd just read. Nothing fancy, just read something. It could be pharmacy, comics, a good book, etc. Importance is in just the fact that you read fresh in the morning. If only for just 30 minutes, that's good enough.

This worked for me, because you will genuinely develop an interest for your subject matter, and then you find that you don't really "study" at all. For the most part I just go to class, I kind of just sit there with a sheet of paper and just pay attention to the professor. I may draw, I may take notes. I may read a little bit after coming home, I may update wikipedia pages in an effort to help others out. I play games, hang out with friends, play guitar, etc. But then again the next day I'll wake up at 5 and just read something.

In the end, whether you rock a 4.0 or 2.0, the importance is that you actually learn something. No, you do not need to remember everything, but you do need to remember how to go about finding anything. You'll find that while you're in school they'll teach you the most updated information, but once you get out you'll quickly fall behind if you do not know how to find your own information.

"50% of what they teach you will be wrong in the future, trick is figuring which half it is..." - Dr. Linn

Wow, great post. :)

A 4.0 learned more than a 2.0

:smuggrin:

And sooner you realize Dr. Linn's quote is in the wrong 50%, better off you are..

No, 4.0 retained more than a 2.0.

That, or the 4.0 is a better test-taker. Grades don't reflect things like on-the-fly problem-solving skills, they measure how much you can cram into your head and regurgitate over a 1 hour (sometimes longer) period.

That, or the 4.0 is a better test-taker. Grades don't reflect things like on-the-fly problem-solving skills, they measure how much you can cram into your head and regurgitate over a 1 hour (sometimes longer) period.

have to disagree. memorizing will only get you so far. I see memorizers get their asses handed to them on therapeutics and pharmacokinetics tests. Why? because these tests exactly test your problem solving skills, not how much you can recite the notes verbatim. My memory skills is average at best, so I definitly didn't earn my 4.0 that route. My gf kicks my ass at how fast she can memorize things, but she only has a ~3.2.

To OP: P1 year was easy for me. I would say I studied about 15 hours a week. P2 year was rough, it was basically going from classroom to Barns&Noble to study. So was about 30 hours a week study time. P3 is easing off a bit, I would say 25'ish.

The key to my grades basically self-discipline -- (1) study everyday to keep up with the lecture materials. And (2) really get to understand the material, understand the WHY behind it. By looking up/figuring out the why, you reinforce the knowledge for the long run, reduce the amount of memorizing, give you the big picture of things, and be able to reason your ways to conclusion on unfamiliar scenarios on the tests.

Last edited:
To OP: P1 year was easy for me. I would say I studied about 15 hours a week. P2 year was rough, it was basically going from classroom to Barns&Noble to study. So was about 30 hours a week study time. P3 is easing off a bit, I would say 25'ish.

The key to my grades basically self-discipline -- (1) study everyday to keep up with the lecture materials. And (2) really get to understand the material, understand the WHY behind it. By looking up/figuring out the why, you reinforce the knowledge for the long run, reduce the amount of memorizing, give you the big picture of things, and be able to reason your ways to conclusion on unfamiliar scenarios on the tests.

anything above 3.0 in pharm school is fair game

The concept behind grades is shady. The way I study is, I look at the material until I feel like I genuinely understand it and am happy with what I've come away with. I don't sit there memorizing every detail, which is often what it takes to get that A. The way I do it, I tend to get half As and half Bs, which I'm fine with. I'm more concerned with how well I know the material when it comes time to use it than my grades.

^
I think anyone with a 3.5 or above for p2 and beyond should rightfully be pretty pleased with their performance. Not only does it put you on a competitive footing for residencies, it give you access to more scholarship $$$. Of course being able to grin when others moan and complain about tests is pretty price less. :D

We review 1 to 2 hours after school each day - so 8 to 10 hours each week. That number gets bumped up during test week (the day before the test is similar to cramming).

The amount you study should be whatever works for you - it doesn't matter that the other people I study with spend more or less time - we all learn and pass the test = end result.

No, 4.0 retained more than a 2.0.

Same thing. No point in "learning" something if you can't reproduce it. In that case, I know everything from every disicpline. I have learned everything there is to know in the universe. Just wish I could retain it.

You gotta be damn lazy to get a 2.0

Same thing. No point in "learning" something if you can't reproduce it. In that case, I know everything from every disicpline. I have learned everything there is to know in the universe. Just wish I could retain it.

Nope, not the same thing. do you remember everything you learned in OChem and reproduce it? If you do, I'll shut up. I learned a lot of crap in college...like triple integration and p-chem etc. I don't remember any of it nor do I want to.

As dumediat said

You gotta be damn lazy to get a 2.0

Nope. My RX school roomie worked his ass off to get 2.0. Of course he now travels around the country and gives presentations..and is a big shot in PBM..

Academic grading system is not a true measure of intelligence nor laziness.

Nope, not the same thing. do you remember everything you learned in OChem and reproduce it? If you do, I'll shut up. I learned a lot of crap in college...like triple integration and p-chem etc. I don't remember any of it nor do I want to.

As dumediat said

If you can't remember it within the same semester, there is no evidence that you have learned it.

Nope. My RX school roomie worked his ass off to get 2.0. Of course he now travels around the country and gives presentations..and is a big shot in PBM..

Academic grading system is not a true measure of intelligence nor laziness.

It is not an absolute measure but one of the most accurate/reliable.

Give your friend a hi-5 for me.

Last edited:
If you can't remember it within the same semester, there is no evidence that you have learned it.

so you define learning as being able to retain new information for 1 semester? Good one! :thumbup:

I'm going to have to break this profound information to students in quarter system. I'm not sure how they'll take it.

Is that right... so let me give you your example.

GPA: 1.0 - really lazy
2.0 - lazy
3.0 - Not lazy
4.0 - Hard worker.

Woo hoo...if you study hard, you'll get 4.0. Welcome to America.

Give your friend a hi-5 for me.

I'll do better than that. I'll tell him you said he's lazy. I can give you his name... and you can put "ffpickle says IOZ's RX roomie is lazy" on your resume... maybe he'll see it if you ever apply to his organization. :smuggrin:

so you define learning as being able to retain new information for 1 semester? Good one! :thumbup:

I'm going to have to break this profound information to students in quarter system. I'm not sure how they'll take it.

No I didn't. Learning is lifelong but if you have a 2.0, there is no evidence you have learned as much as the 4.0

Is that right... so let me give you your example.

GPA: 1.0 - really lazy
2.0 - lazy
3.0 - Not lazy
4.0 - Hard worker.

Woo hoo...if you study hard, you'll get 4.0. Welcome to America.

That is not my example. Nor was the definition.

You have a habit of making things up and attributing them to others.