How many hours/day do you spend studying for pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll do better than that. I'll tell him you said he's lazy. I can give you his name... and you can put "ffpickle says IOZ's RX roomie is lazy" on your resume... maybe he'll see it if you ever apply to his organization. :smuggrin:

Sounds good. If he has any humility, he will concede that he was lazy in obtaining that 2.0

If he is anything like you though, it's unlikely that he is humble.

You sound like the thought of yourself turns you on

Members don't see this ad.

No I didn't. Learning is lifelong but if you have a 2.0, there is no evidence you have learned as much as the 4.0

So you deny you said if you can't remember it for a duration of semester, you haven't learned it? It hasn't been 1 semester already has it? Let me remind you what you said.

If you can't remember it within the same semester, there is no evidence that you have learned it.

Last edited:
Sounds good. If he has any humility, he will concede that he was lazy in obtaining that 2.0

If he is anything like you though, it's unlikely that he is humble.

You sound like the thought of yourself turns you on

Confidence, cockiness, & conceit equal not narcissism. My roomate was not lazy. And no, he's not humble but he's excellent at picking apart trials and quick to thrash investigators to their face. But he could never get good grades. He's an example why your broad generization of 2.0 equals laziness is completely false. Laziness can result in a 2.0. But gettin a 2.0 doesn't mean one was lazy.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is not my example. Nor was the definition.

Did you not say grades were the most accurate and reliable indicators of intelligence and laziness? If so, can we not imply that lower grades indicate laziness?

You have a habit of making things up and attributing them to others.

Oh yeah? Let's see this habit of making things up. Find me at least 5 examples where I made a habit of it. :smuggrin:

zyvox, man, it's not rational to take everything to extremes.

Tust about everything in life has exceptions. GPA and academic performance, like every measure/marker, has exceptions, but that doesn't invalidate the marker, only mean's the relationship isn't 100%.

Is every successful person a top student in school? No. But do people who are more successful school generally are more successful? Yes.

There are many reasons for a person's good grades:
(1) work hard/determined
(2) smart/intelligent
(3) self-control/discipline under stress
(4) adaptable
(5) can cheat without getting caught :D

There are many more reasons. But I think most people will agree that most of those qualities are some of the the same qualities that helps to make a successful career (even if they are not the only criteria involved). Sure, there will be a college drop-out that becomes Bill Gates here and there, but that's hardly the general tend there. :cool: If we tabulate the average, I think there will be a difference between those who earned a 2.0 vs those who earned 4.0s.

Last edited:
zyvox, man, it's not rational to take everything to extremes.

Rationality has individual variance. What's rational to you isn't rational to me vice versa.

Tust about everything in life has exceptions.

That's what I said.

GPA and academic performance, like every measure/marker, has exceptions, but that doesn't invalidate the marker, only mean's the relationship isn't 100%.

Did I say anything different? Then again, academic performance doesn't necessarily measure laziness. Poor performance doesn't necessarily result from laziness and laziness may have no bearing on grades for some.

Is every successful person a top student in school? No. But do people who are more successful school generally are more successful? Yes.

Not in pharmacy.

There are many reasons for a person's good grades:
(1) work hard/determined
(2) smart/intelligent
(3) self-control/discipline under stress
(4) adaptable
(5) can cheat without getting caught :D

You left out good at taking tests. BTW, smart/intelligent is overrated.

There are many more reasons. But I think most people will agree that most of those qualities are some of the the same qualities that helps to make a successful career (even if they are not the only criteria involved). Sure, there will be a college drop-out that becomes Bill Gates here and there, but that's hardly the general tend there. :cool:

Good grades and high academic performance do not necessarily equate to a successful career. Especially in pharmacy. Do you think your pharmacy leaders today are rho chi high academic achievers of the past? Absolutely not.

You never heard of C students employ B students to manage A students?

Zyvox, do you have any data or just expressing your personal beliefs?

Here is an example: Asian americans on average do better academic wise than other ethnic groups. I hope you don't try to contradict that. And if we look at the average income of asian americans, it's higher than other ethnic groups according to national censes. This is especially interesting since asian americans started out in this country poorer than most but are now doing quite well.

Again, I'm trying to stress, this is the average here, not an absolute.

Zyvox, do you have any data or just expressing your personal beliefs?

Here is an example: Asian americans on average do better academic wise than other ethnic groups. I hope you don't try to contradict that. And if we look at the average income of asian americans, it's higher than other ethnic groups according to national censes. This is especially interesting since asian americans started out in this country poorer than most but are now doing quite well.

Again, I'm trying to stress, this is the average here, not an absolute.

There is a book called Freakonomics. There is another book called Millionaire Next Door. If you haven't read them, do so.

I highly doubt your typical wealthy Asian business owner was a high academic achiever. I would contribute the success to hard work, persistence, and desire to succeed more so than grades, especially for those first generation immigrants who immigrated and became self employed.

The US Census stat also differentiates between different nationalities of Asians and the income category. I recall Japanese Americans having a higher income than Philipinos and/or Chinese...or Indian Americans over others... I don't recall today because it's been more than a semester..

But I doubt the income level disparity was due to academic performance.

"Factor X" is the determinant of success. Good grades are irrelevant. A succesful business tycoon may or may not have had a 4.0. The fact is, whether he did is irrelevant. If you have the capability of being successful, you will regardless of how you do in school.

I call it factor X because its impossible to determine what it is. Probably a mixture of what's been said, as well as a particular personality type. Forward and aggressive as well as highly driven.

Xiphoid,

I found these as I goggled..

Millionaire Next Door

Freakonomics

I read those books some years ago. But I distinctly remember these books addressing grades vs. success. Of course grades in undergrad to get into either med, RX, Dent, law etc. are important. But for pharmacy, once you're in, grades really aren't that important unless you're looking for a residency. Again, grades do not predict the future success of these residents.

I used to always preach that "go to school, do well, and get a good job" was a corporate conspiratcy to educate young minds to enslave them in our corporate world for the owners to get rich. I still stand by my opinion.

Xiphoid,

I found these as I goggled..

Millionaire Next Door

Freakonomics

I read those books some years ago. But I distinctly remember these books addressing grades vs. success. Of course grades in undergrad to get into either med, RX, Dent, law etc. are important. But for pharmacy, once you're in, grades really aren't that important unless you're looking for a residency. Again, grades do not predict the future success of these residents.

I used to always preach that "go to school, do well, and get a good job" was a corporate conspiratcy to educate young minds to enslave them in our corporate world for the owners to get rich. I still stand by my opinion.

Asians higher income is, at least a large part, contributed by academic achievements. My family came here with nothing but the shirts on our backs, but like so many asian american now my parents are millionaires. How? They studied hard, which got them good jobs; then they worked hard, lived frugally, saved and invested alot. Which is exactly what "Rich dad, Poor dad" advocated (I've read some of that book long ago). Being good grades often require some of the same qualities being good at your job and successful. My grade is a reflection that I'm disciplined and motivated, willing to go lengths that others would not to secure my objectives, the same ones my parents used to earn their wealth.

But I'll agree with you that some people get good grades using attributes that aren't useful at work. And some slackers might actually be great workers, but both are not general/typical indicators. GPA isn't a 100% accurate predictor of success, but having it as a part of the analysis make it more preditive than without it.

P.S I do intend to do residency because I believe that retail pharmacy will be a dying breed in the long run. All those Pharm.D from no-name schools will swamp the retail market, and reputation/grades will then matter. GPA is already useful for residency as you know, and with increased competition, the GPA and other requirements will only go up. And I intend to augment my degree with an MBA to further my advancement, and GPA will matter for that application.

I stand on my opinion as well. But we can agree to disagree. We each can steer our lives in our own ways.

I wonder how learning how to bubble within the lines will help me become a millionaire.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder how learning how to bubble within the lines will help me become a millionaire.

My old boss once told me this story I clearly remember:

A firm bought this hugely expensive machine, but just couldn't get it to work. So they hired a famous engineer to trouble shoot.

The engineer walked around the machine, looked at it for 5 minutes, and flipped a switch, the machine comes alive.

"That'll be $1000", he said. The company guy "WHAT! You want $1000 for 5 minutes and flipping a switch?!!!"

The engineer responded: "No, it's $5 for 5 minutes and flipping a switch, and $995 for knowing WHICH switch to flip". :D

Hooray for reading the instructions manual? LOL :D

Hooray for reading the instructions manual? LOL :D

NO NO NO!!!! You totally missed the point!!!!!

It's about companies need to get third party insurance, so they can only pay $4 per fix, and have the 3rd party reimburse the engineer at pennies on the dollaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar! You silly. :D

NO NO NO!!!! You totally missed the point!!!!!

It's about companies need to get third party insurance, so they can only pay $4 per fix, and have the 3rd party reimburse the engineer at pennies on the dollaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar! You silly. :D
True, but your example boils down to an entire firm not knowing how to read. :p :D

True, but your example boils down to an entire firm not knowing how to read. :p :D

The story my old boss told me was to make a point: knowledge is power, knowledge is money.

He's a Ph.D who's pretty famous in organic/med chem field. He was trying to urge me to move beyond what I had, which was good by B.S standard but had little advancement opportunites.

So you deny you said if you can't remember it for a duration of semester, you haven't learned it? It hasn't been 1 semester already has it? Let me remind you what you said.

I do deny that. Thanks for providing the quote. Now try reading it.

"there is no evidence you have learned it"

A third example of you making something up and attributing it to someone else....just in this thread.

Yeah... and now BS and even some MS degrees are basic, requiring even more education to find a suitable job.

Asians higher income is, at least a large part, contributed by academic achievements. My family came here with nothing but the shirts on our backs, but like so many asian american now my parents are millionaires. How? They studied hard, which got them good jobs; then they worked hard, lived frugally, saved and invested alot. Which is exactly what "Rich dad, Poor dad" advocated (I've read some of that book long ago). Being good grades often require some of the same qualities being good at your job and successful. My grade is a reflection that I'm disciplined and motivated, willing to go lengths that others would not to secure my objectives, the same ones my parents used to earn their wealth.

But I'll agree with you that some people get good grades using attributes that aren't useful at work. And some slackers might actually be great workers, but both are not general/typical indicators. GPA isn't a 100% accurate predictor of success, but having it as a part of the analysis make it more preditive than without it.

P.S I do intend to do residency because I believe that retail pharmacy will be a dying breed in the long run. All those Pharm.D from no-name schools will swamp the retail market, and reputation/grades will then matter. GPA is already useful for residency as you know, and with increased competition, the GPA and other requirements will only go up. And I intend to augment my degree with an MBA to further my advancement, and GPA will matter for that application.

I stand on my opinion as well. But we can agree to disagree. We each can steer our lives in our own ways.

If you're defining GPA as an indicator of financial success, then your opinion is definitely wrong. Your parents would fall under the exception not the norm. 2/3 of American Millionaires are self employed and became wealthy not through having good jobs but through being self employed.

Also, rich dad poor dad does not advocate "education" as the requirement of becoming wealthy. If you read some of it, you'll know that Robert Kiyosaki, the author of RDPD's claims that his real father is a PhD who went to Stanford, U of Chicago, and Northwestern who promoted education and who RK referred to as the poor dad. His friend's father who's not educated - barely finished 8th grade is referred to as the rich dad, the business owner.

Don't go around quoting a book you haven't thoroughly read.

I rarely agree to disagree. I usually will agree that I'm wrong or right.

Again, many successful minorty first generation immigrants I know are usually self employed who work for themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I always strived for good grades as a personal challenge. But my financial success had nothing to do with my pharmacy school grades.

Also, you'll have to weight the value of a GPA... it's relative to the school you got it from. Can a 4.0 from an online university like U of Phoenix compete against even a 3.0 at say MIT, Stanford, Harvard, or even a state university? :)

Confidence, cockiness, & conceit equal not narcissism. My roomate was not lazy. And no, he's not humble but he's excellent at picking apart trials and quick to thrash investigators to their face. But he could never get good grades. He's an example why your broad generization of 2.0 equals laziness is completely false. Laziness can result in a 2.0. But gettin a 2.0 doesn't mean one was lazy.

Why do you keep telling me about how amazing your friend is?

He worked his ass off and got a 2.0? What then, is the reason for this sub-par academic performance? This is a rhetorical question by the way. I don't care about your life or the people in it. Stop bringing them up! Again, you seem very self-absorbed.

I do deny that. Thanks for providing the quote. Now try reading it.

"there is no evidence you have learned it"

A third example of you making something up and attributing it to someone else....just in this thread.

Let's try again. You wrote,

If you can't remember it within the same semester, there is no evidence that you have learned it.

Let's try this scenario. You learn the structure of b-lactam in pharmacology class during the early part of the semester. You take an exam 3 weeks later and a question requires you to draw the structure which you get right. Then at the end of the semester, you can't reproduce the structure because you forgot it.

Does this mean you didn't learn it? Or does it mean you learned it but failed to retain it? With your description because you failed to remember it during the same semester it was taught, you have no evidence that it was learned...except the exam is a proof that it was learned. It's happened to me many times.

Also, you'll have to weight the value of a GPA... it's relative to the school you got it from. Can a 4.0 from an online university like U of Phoenix compete against even a 3.0 at say MIT, Stanford, Harvard, or even a state university? :)

True enough. For the purposes here, I believe we're talking about two people in the same class. Given only that one person has an A, and the other a C, the objective conclusion is that the A has demonstrated greater understanding of the material.

Why do you keep telling me about how amazing your friend is?

He worked his ass off and got a 2.0? What then, is the reason for this sub-par academic performance? This is a rhetorical question by the way.

:smuggrin:

His reason for sub par academic performance? He couldn't memorize worth a chit. But he had an amazing sense of analytical ability.

True enough. For the purposes here, I believe we're talking about two people in the same class. Given only that one person has an A, and the other a C, the objective conclusion is that the A has demonstrated greater understanding of the material.

or C student was lazy.

Let's try again. You wrote,

[/i]

Let's try this scenario. You learn the structure of b-lactam in pharmacology class during the early part of the semester. You take an exam 3 weeks later and a question requires you to draw the structure which you get right. Then at the end of the semester, you can't reproduce the structure because you forgot it.

Does this mean you didn't learn it? Or does it mean you learned it but failed to retain it? With your description because you failed to remember it during the same semester it was taught, you have no evidence that it was learned...except the exam is a proof that it was learned. It's happened to me many times.

If I'm the prof, I mark exam 1 and conclude you knew the material. I mark exam 2 and conclude you have not learned it sufficiently to reproduce the material. Learning is, in part, the acquisition and gradual accumulation of knowledge.

There are few concepts to "understand" in pharmacy school. It's mostly a bunch of memorization. Memorizing all the information takes discipline, good time management, and proper focus. I wouldn't say someone with a 2.0 GPA is lazy, but I will say they may lack these skills and qualities.

Also, I think Zyvox is seeing the tree, not the forest (proper expression!?), which isn't necessarily a bad thing. We should always try not to generalize people.

* If you take any class and plot "time spent studying for this class" vs. "grade received", you will almost always see a positive correlation. I remember two professors who used this plot to encourage us to study :D

If I'm the prof, I mark exam 1 and conclude you knew the material. I mark exam 2 and conclude you have not learned it sufficiently to reproduce the material. Learning is, in part, the acquisition and gradual accumulation of knowledge.

then would you take away the points from the first exam because it was missed on exam 2? No you wouldn't.

Are you even in pharmacy school?

Have you heard of the phrase "I have forgotten more than you've learned?" It's usually told by older pharmacists to young interns. But there's a lot truth in this.

In pharmacy school, you will be bombarded with enormous amount of information which you will learn then forget just as quickly. And No, you won't retain it throughout the whole semester. Ok, you might...but most people won't.

Today, I know much less about biomedicinal chem or pharmacology than your typical P2 or P3. But I have more pertinent knowledge that allows me to practice pharmacy.

Learning is more than just retaining required information taught in class for a semester. It's being able to find and utilize information to practice your trade. Why do you suppose Drug Info handbook or software thrive in today's practice? Because it's almost impossible to have retained important information you were once taught...just one semester or longer.

There are few concepts to "understand" in pharmacy school. It's mostly a bunch of memorization. Memorizing all the information takes discipline, good time management, and proper focus. I wouldn't say someone with a 2.0 GPA is lazy, but I will say they may lack these skills and qualities.

Also, I think Zyvox is seeing the tree, not the forest (proper expression!?), which isn't necessarily a bad thing. We should always try not to generalize people.

Seeing the forest is easy. It's seeing what trees make up the forest that will help you learn.

If you're defining GPA as an indicator of financial success, then your opinion is definitely wrong. Your parents would fall under the exception not the norm. 2/3 of American Millionaires are self employed and became wealthy not through having good jobs but through being self employed.

Also, rich dad poor dad does not advocate "education" as the requirement of becoming wealthy. If you read some of it, you'll know that Robert Kiyosaki, the author of RDPD's claims that his real father is a PhD who went to Stanford, U of Chicago, and Northwestern who promoted education and who RK referred to as the poor dad. His friend's father who's not educated - barely finished 8th grade is referred to as the rich dad, the business owner.

Don't go around quoting a book you haven't thoroughly read.

I rarely agree to disagree. I usually will agree that I'm wrong or right.

Again, many successful minorty first generation immigrants I know are usually self employed who work for themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I always strived for good grades as a personal challenge. But my financial success had nothing to do with my pharmacy school grades.

I still disagree. Education has been the way many (if not most) asian americans relied upon for success. Again, I point the the average income level of asian americans being higher than the rest.

Excelling in school doesn't correlated with becoming super rich, but it is with being rich-er. I hold that you don't need a 4.0 to be a CEO, but a better student will on average know more and do a better job.

Unless you have actual data to support your opinion, then we will have to agree to disagree.

PS. you know as well as I do that Rich Dad Poor Dad has been criticized by god knows how many angles. The guy mainly used a made up story to sell the book and get rich. I agree with the basic "be frugal and invest your way up" message, but that's about it.

I'd rather pay attention to the tree directly in front of me, though.

...not to get off topic.

I still disagree. Education has been the way many (if not most) asian americans relied upon for success. Again, I point the the average income level of asian americans being higher than the rest.

Excelling in school doesn't correlated with becoming super rich, but it is with being rich-er. I hold that you don't need a 4.0 to be a CEO, but a better student will on average know more and do a better job.

Unless you have actual data to support your opinion, then we will have to agree to disagree.

PS. you know as well as I do that Rich Dad Poor Dad has been criticized by god knows how many angles. The guy mainly used a made up story to sell the book and get rich. I agree with the basic "be frugal and invest your way up" message, but that's about it.
Hey, don't forget about being frugal; first generation asians were very frugal with their money and expenses. :)

Hey, don't forget about being frugal; first generation asians were very frugal with their money and expenses. :)

True...LOL :laugh:

* If you take any class and plot "time spent studying for this class" vs. "grade received", you will almost always see a positive correlation. I remember two professors who used this plot to encourage us to study :D

yeah but the line gets much steeper at the top. I could study 2 hours and get an 89, but to get a 95 would require 4 hours.

http://frontpage.wiu.edu/~mfjtd/asian-americans.htm

Interesting stuff... Japanese> Indian > Philipino > Chinese > Korean...
in income. So... does that mean Japanese have the highest level of education?

Actually, the best workers in pharmacy...were average students. The 4.0 interns tried to find every way to work less to go study.

Well, my statement of more than 1/2 of American millionaires being self employed isn't an opinion.

http://web.ncf.ca/aj624/millionaires.html

hey...you brought it up to try to prove your point. Not me. I've never said anything about being frugal and investing. The topic of this discussion is "academic performance."

You is lazy.

:laugh::thumbup:

You know I worked a ton the first 3 years - I often worked 30 hrs/wk. And again, I think the working knowledge gained at work didn't always translate to exams, but I think is a more practical knowledge.

It's a cost:benefit analysis. Doubling my study time wasn't worth it for me to get an A.

I dunno, 2/3 brothers in my immediate family will be doctors of some form - but our cousins that own hotels make WAY more money. They live neither frugally nor were they particularly intelligent (Good people yes, particularly intelligent no).

Good grades only matter if you plan on moving to the next level of education...

I needed good grades in HS to get into college - Good grades in undergrad to get into pharmacy school - Good grades in pharmacy school to lock on a residency - Good job in PGY1 to get a PGY2 - Good job in PGY2 to get a good job after... at that point - My grades cease to be an indicator of future success.

A better indicator of future success is how many drinks are purchased for me at the next APhA or ASHP meeting. Zero means I have not made enough contacts; wasted before the second day with people I didn't know before means I am doing networking the right way...

:laugh::thumbup:

You know I worked a ton the first 3 years - I often worked 30 hrs/wk. And again, I think the working knowledge gained at work didn't always translate to exams, but I think is a more practical knowledge.

It's a cost:benefit analysis. Doubling my study time wasn't worth it for me to get an A.

well.. extrapolate some theories being thrown around, if you didn't get an A, you're either lazy or you didn't learn as much as the A student.

I dunno, 2/3 brothers in my immediate family will be doctors of some form - but our cousins that own hotels make WAY more money. They live neither frugally nor were they particularly intelligent (Good people yes, particularly intelligent no).

Good grades only matter if you plan on moving to the next level of education...

I needed good grades in HS to get into college - Good grades in undergrad to get into pharmacy school - Good grades in pharmacy school to lock on a residency - Good job in PGY1 to get a PGY2 - Good job in PGY2 to get a good job after... at that point - My grades cease to be an indicator of future success.

A better indicator of future success is how many drinks are purchased for me at the next APhA or ASHP meeting. Zero means I have not made enough contacts; wasted before the second day with people I didn't know before means I am doing networking the right way...

:smuggrin: Come to Complete RX party at ASHP...I'll get you many drinks..

Your insight is exactly right.

http://frontpage.wiu.edu/~mfjtd/asian-americans.htm

Interesting stuff... Japanese> Indian > Philipino > Chinese > Korean...
in income. So... does that mean Japanese have the highest level of education?

Maybe they do, do you have data to refute? But don't be a selective reader. The article said (1)most asian-american groups had higher income levels than non-asian, and (2) a major factor for this is their emphasis on education. So it supports my point: there is a correlation.

Actually, the best workers in pharmacy...were average students. The 4.0 interns tried to find every way to work less to go study.

Prove it. I could say the opposite -- average studnt want to do mimimum work and leave with the paycheck. The better students are more motivated to get learn and get ahead.

Well, my statement of more than 1/2 of American millionaires being self employed isn't an opinion.

http://web.ncf.ca/aj624/millionaires.html

You missed the point, I'm not questioning that. <sigh> I'm questioning your claim that 4.0 students doesn't get higher average income than 2.0 students. (let's keep comparison apple to apple within a profession).

hehehe true. My parents save/invest about 50% of their income. I was pretty surprised when my mom told me the family networth. I remember being a paperboy chipping in $100 to my dad's $900/mo graduate stipend to feed the family... it was like yesterday.. ok it was 16 year ago, but.. damn.:(

Almost always a positive correlation. I never study for Pharmacy Ethics or Pharmaceutics yet I'm getting Bs and As.

I study every day for Pathology and Therapeutics but I cannot break the C barrier. My problem has been trying to decipher how K-type questions work.

If I'm not in class or eating I'm studying. My hunger for knowledge keeps me awake at night!

most days: 2-3

today: 12

fml... But only because I have 100% in my cardio therapeutics class going into the 3rd exam. I want to keep my streak alive.