How many hours do you study a day as PharmD students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPharm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pharmacy Students,

How many hours each day/week do you study? Does it seem to get better or worse for upperclassmen? Currently, I'm studying at LEAST 4 hours a day as a P1 (2-4 days before an exam--we have 1-3 exams a week).

*Also while at the library or at home, how do you keep alert and concentrated on what you're studying? Red Bull? Usually, the adrenaline of procrastinating keeps me going the night before - but what about other times?

Members don't see this ad.

it depends on the class... it depends on the day.. it depends on my mood...

it depends on the grades you want...

currently i only work on therapeutics every day... each instructor has objectives and we have a new instructor/topic every day or at least every few days... i come home and try to polish off the objectives that we went over in class that day.

it definitely got worse... i didn't do a thing my 1st year (i studied like undergrad)

i hate the library i am a talker and i do not keep concentrated at the library .. i get way to bored... here at home i have "study movies" that i have seen so many times that i know practically all the words...

this way if i get tired of studying i just watch the TV again.....'

i'm not a good example....

Reactions: 1 user
I study 3 to 4 hours a day during a non-test week. On a test week, I will study 6 to 8 hours. Sometimes that is not even enough now that I am considered a P3. I just can't wait for APhA since we are leaving right after a test and coming back into a test! yuck

Members don't see this ad :)
It really depends on the class. Most days I don't study at all. If I have a test I tend to read through the notes for about 45 minutes 2 days before the exam and then study 5-6 hours for the exam the next day. Then again, I am not someone who really cares much about grades. I essentially study enough to hit the mid B range and that is it. I imagine I will have to pick up the pace a bit next term for pharmaceutics, but I am not really too worried. On the flip side, I know some people that are studying 4-6 hours every day. Even so, they are not all getting A's, often times because professors tend to toss in 2 or 3 questions that no one has ever seen before that trip everyone up (which really irritates me). Each person learns differently though, some people fare much better studying the way I do, and others learn much better by keeping up and studying every day. I am basically just trying to enjoy my time at pharmacy school and so far that has worked out pretty well for me.

Caverject said:
I study 3 to 4 hours a day during a non-test week. On a test week, I will study 6 to 8 hours. Sometimes that is not even enough now that I am considered a P3. I just can't wait for APhA since we are leaving right after a test and coming back into a test! yuck

:eek:
Whoa...is that a straight 6-8 hrs or a more relaxed 6-8 with breaks, or 6-8 over the course of the whole day?

I'll take a break every 3 hours. If I take a break, I lose my train of thought and get distracte. You can still pass if you reduce the hours, but I like to do better than just a C

im a dp1 (3rd year)... i like this thread, i would have to say i "average out" 3 hours a day... but i havent done anything this week yet and i have a pda and patho exam next week... so this weekend i have to pick up some hours for that average :) its called "single tasking"... (or maybe cramming heheh)

you know, it's kinda funny...venturing out from the med school forums, i wanted to see this. my friend goes to Univ of KY pharm school and it seems like he's NEVER studying. always playin halo and goin to the gym. haha. but he studies hardcore like 40 hours right before blocks. but before that... maybe 1-2. i hope i can pull this off in med school!

virilep said:
you know, it's kinda funny...venturing out from the med school forums, i wanted to see this. my friend goes to Univ of KY pharm school and it seems like he's NEVER studying. always playin halo and goin to the gym. haha. but he studies hardcore like 40 hours right before blocks. but before that... maybe 1-2. i hope i can pull this off in med school!
we have a lot of students in my class who do the whole HALO thing too... i think they actually go to bed at 9pm and then get up early in the morning and study so it seems as if they never do...i personally couldn't imagine getting up early everyday to study.

I have found that I probably average about 3 hours a day Sun-Thurs. 0 on fri or sat. When I am a few days from tests I will only study 1-2 hours, but the nights before tests I usually have to put in about 5 hours. It has been real manageable so far, but of course I don't work at all like others have to do. It would be harder if I had to work through it. I probably will start working a bit in year two, but probably only a night a week. Wives that work rock!

Personally, I don't study every day. But I do study hardcore about 3-4 days before an exam. I just make sure to run through the material at least 2-3 times before I sit down for the exam. I think I make up for studying every day by going to all my classes and paying attention. Two weeks from now I start my two weeks of hell for exams (6 exams in a row- starting on a Tuesday and ending on the following Wednesday), so for this I'm studying well ahead of time...or at least attempting to :D .

emogrrrrl said:
Personally, I don't study every day. But I do study hardcore about 3-4 days before an exam. I just make sure to run through the material at least 2-3 times before I sit down for the exam. I think I make up for studying every day by going to all my classes and paying attention. Two weeks from now I start my two weeks of hell for exams (6 exams in a row- starting on a Tuesday and ending on the following Wednesday), so for this I'm studying well ahead of time...or at least attempting to :D .
I study about the same as you. Not everyday, but I do pay attention to my lectures. The best thing about having them pre-recorded is that I can stop them and replay as needed. It's really helped me get more out of the lectures the first time around.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a horrible slacker these days. I watch my lectures and do assignments, but I never look at my notes until 2 days before an exam. I have enough case studies to prepare, presentations to work on, etc. I'm doing better in school this semester by taking more time to relax. Also, everything seems to have clicked for me. I only have 8 weeks left of hard core book learning.

dgroulx said:
I'm a horrible slacker these days. I watch my lectures and do assignments, but I never look at my notes until 2 days before an exam. I have enough case studies to prepare, presentations to work on, etc. I'm doing better in school this semester by taking more time to relax. Also, everything seems to have clicked for me. I only have 8 weeks left of hard core book learning.
Make sure it's only 8 more weeks then! You better kick some butt on your exams!

I guess the amount of time I study depends of how many exams I have that week.

Right now we are in mid terms and studying WAAAY more than I care for.

My friends and I start at the library around 8am...and stay studying until class starts at 1pm. Than we stay afterschool from 5pm to 7pm.

I'm currently a P1...some people say it gets easier. I seem to think you just get used to the workload.

ChemAngel said:
I guess the amount of time I study depends of how many exams I have that week.

Right now we are in mid terms and studying WAAAY more than I care for.

My friends and I start at the library around 8am...and stay studying until class starts at 1pm. Than we stay afterschool from 5pm to 7pm.

I'm currently a P1...some people say it gets easier. I seem to think you just get used to the workload.

Do you go to Nova? I am starting there this fall- my friend who is graduating from there this year said it does get easier. Do you drive from Miami everyday? I live in Boca but am in Miami quite a bit because my boyfriend lives in south beach.

I wish the years got easier at my school- apparently the first year is nothing compared to the 2nd and 3rd year.
Fun times.

emogrrrrl said:
I wish the years got easier at my school- apparently the first year is nothing compared to the 2nd and 3rd year.
Fun times.

The material gets harder during year 2 at my school, but we are more used to the pace by then. Still, grades fall off sharply and people start to fail.

The 3rd year students told me that year 3 is easier than year 2 at our school. They are given patients with symptoms and you have to use your own resources to figure out the rest. We go through Koda Kimble, do all the pharmacology, all the drug specific med chem and all the kinetics in year 2. We are expected to retain it and apply it in year 3. If it leaks out of your head, then I expect that year 3 could kill you.

dgroulx said:
The material gets harder during year 2 at my school, but we are more used to the pace by then. Still, grades fall off sharply and people start to fail.

The 3rd year students told me that year 3 is easier than year 2 at our school. They are given patients with symptoms and you have to use your own resources to figure out the rest. We go through Koda Kimble, do all the pharmacology, all the drug specific med chem and all the kinetics in year 2. We are expected to retain it and apply it in year 3. If it leaks out of your head, then I expect that year 3 could kill you.
my head leaked...... i died......

I'm so looking forward to year 3 -- I'm afraid all this year 2 hardcore pharmacology and everything to do with drugs material is already leaking out too fast.

LBS615 said:
Do you go to Nova? I am starting there this fall- my friend who is graduating from there this year said it does get easier. Do you drive from Miami everyday? I live in Boca but am in Miami quite a bit because my boyfriend lives in south beach.

yes...you guessed right. I am currently going to Nova. I commute from miami everyday. I live in west miami...so it takes about 45 minutes with no traffic (which if you live in miami...is only like...sundays) and usually about 1 hour back and forth.

ChemAngel said:
yes...you guessed right. I am currently going to Nova. I commute from miami everyday. I live in west miami...so it takes about 45 minutes with no traffic (which if you live in miami...is only like...sundays) and usually about 1 hour back and forth.
No place like sweetwater florida! :)

Caverject said:
No place like sweetwater florida! :)

i see we have someone that used to go to florida (FIU alumni?)

virilep said:
Cool... I hope I don't have to study very much. I'm about fried from this last semester. Hopefully, I will recoperate over the summer. This past week, I've been getting up at like 4 or 5 to study for my tests. I'm forsure an early morning studying. No TV, no husband (he's still asleep), no dogs (stiill sleeping too) and only one cuddly kitten who likes to curl up with me and studying along.

How many hours do you spend a day in class?

bbmuffin said:
it depends on the class... it depends on the day.. it depends on my mood...

What school do you go to in alabama (if you don't mind my asking)?

vafcarrot said:
How many hours do you spend a day in class?

eww...NSU spends about 4-7 hours a day (depending if there is lab or service learning that we have to do)

:laugh: You'd be surprised how much studying you can get done when you are not paying attention to the useless classes...

I try to at least do a little bit (meaning 30 mins or so) everyday, if there's a test coming up, I'll put in a number of hours related to the difficulty/quantity of material. My class is really working as a team this semester where one person will type up answers to the objectives for a lecture then email them to me and I post them on our class website. Those are really good for studying and it makes it so nice when someone else does them and you only have to do maybe 2 or 3 the entire semester instead of like 45 sets per class.

I guess i am the odd job out. I do my homework and stuff when due (like pre labs) But i rearly ever study. I just seem to retain all the junk i see. I might do some readings but mostly dont. Ill study about 1-3 hours the night before an exam or maybe a little more. I dont do any note reviews during the week. I will spend a good deal of time bombing around clinical pharmacology or lexi-comp to answer random drug questions i have when they pop up at work and stuff. Sometimes i worry that the lack of studying will hurt me in the long run, but i do well on the tests and i think i retain teh important things

I'll take a break every 3 hours. If I take a break, I lose my train of thought and get distracte. You can still pass if you reduce the hours, but I like to do better than just a C

8am to 10am study

break

3pm to 5pm study

break

8pm to 10 pm study

sleep

At UK we are "blessed" with blocks. Most of us takes the 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off method to studying. So for our 2 weeks off we can do whatever we please and not really study much. However, ask one of us during block week and we will tell you we hate blocks. However, it is better than having a test every week.

P1 here. I study 3-4 hours on weekdays and 6 hours on weekends. I study in 30 - 60 min increments and then take a small break.

I studied about 15 hours per week when I was a student.

studying 5-10 hours/week on pharm related stuff and 25-30 hours/week on cs related stuff.

I would rewatch lectures on my phone at 1.5-2x speed while exercising (stationary bike or walking on threadmill, sometimes while walking around campus), was decently effective for how simple and easy it was, most test questions were straight from lectures thankfully. Sub 2 hr a day studying for about a B average

Zero.

Just crammed the night before exams, maybe 2-3 days of cramming for serious therapeutics exams.

Actively listening and taking notes during class was my studying for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
You guys are very dedicated. I studied approx 0-2 hours per week.
I might have slightly upped you - 5 hours per week, but much of that was with a beer in had while trying to flirt with some gal at a bar

8 hours the day before the exam. But I also didn't go to classes. Are we taking that into account?