How many hours do you study per day?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hours of School Work Per Day Outside of class

• 0-1 hour

Votes: 45 17.0%
  • 1-2 hours

Votes: 54 20.5%
  • 2-3 hours

Votes: 54 20.5%
  • 3-4 hours

Votes: 35 13.3%
  • 4-5 hours

Votes: 35 13.3%
  • 5-6 hours

Votes: 23 8.7%
  • 7-8 hours

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • 8+

Votes: 12 4.5%

• Total voters

David1991

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
More specifically, how many hours do you spend out of class working on class work (homework, labs, taking notes, studying, etc...) each day, on average.

The poll is for total hours which for me I'd say is probably 6 per day or so, studying/note taking alone probably averages to about 3-4. Seems like it's not that much but somehow between everything else throughout the day (eating, classes, maybe a workout, general things) there's very little free time so I'm just curious how this compares to other pre meds.

Edit: I tired editing the poll because I skipped 6-7, doesn't seem like I can do it though

Members don't see this ad.

Varies week to week and semester to semester. This semester is about 4-5 hours, but I had to pump it up because I had two exams today.

Are these 0-1 hour selections jokes? lol how can most pre med students being doing that little each day :\

Members don't see this ad :)
3-4 hours a day on average... probably 1-2 hours weekdays and the rest I just shove onto the weekends.

Though it varies since last semester it was probably around 0-1.

Are these 0-1 hour selections jokes? lol how can most pre med students being doing that little each day :\

uuuuhhhhh.....

dunno man, depends on the day. then again, maybe I'm fondly recollecting senior year when all I was doing was taking Biology seminars where I read journals and talked about them in "class".

Smart people hate to study. Undergrad classes are a joke.

do you guys honestly study when you dont have tests? i just study the day before for bio/chem and the night before for physics and i've been doing fine. i call the weeks without midterms "golden weeks" because i just chill, eat out, or go out every night.

i know i will have to study much more in med school, but for now, its all good.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, I was one of the people that just studied the night before the exams for bio1 and chem1, which is why I got a B and B-. My new goal is three hours a day, with saturday being a free day

Never study unless there's an exam coming up. Then maybe a few hours the day before.

The real question is who are these 6+ hour a day people?? I hate to say this. But some people just don't absorb material in a reasonable amount of time... But if you're one of those people. Maybe med school isn't for you. Idk, maybe you go to the most super competitive undergrad on earth in the hardest major. But I can't really see a valid reason for needing to study 6+ hours everyday in undergrad (yes, even premed :eek:). That makes me think you have a disability or bad study habits.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had my college experience in two texas universities. While at a top Texas University I had to study at least 2-3 hrs per day totaling around 20 hrs/week on outside class work to maintain my GPA.

But when I was at a lower tier university in my hometown I could get by not studying until 1-2 days before the exam. I would cram and still make a good grade.

I'm pointing this out because different colleges have different difficulty levels. The exams at the lower tier university were unbelievably easy. The way they test students at these respective universities is different mainly due to the fact they need to cater to a certain type of student body (IE avg SAT score 2200 vs 1400).

I tried to quantify the amount of time I spend studying but it didn't really work because (a) it varies a lot depending on what my workload is in a given week and how difficult the material is, (b) there isn't necessarily a clear diliniation between study and not-study time (for example, at lunch today I didn't bring any work, but ended up jotting down notes for an essay), (c) it can be depressing--either I end up feeling like I have no free time or I'm not working hard enough, and (d) I don't think it is really very informative.

I try to apply a strategy my high school band director advocated for music practice to my studying: focus on achieving a particular goal, rather filling a particular amount of time. I will acknowledge that I have deviated from this a fair amount this year because a lot of my work is relatively open-ended reading/research, so it is hard to have clear quantitative goals.

It definitely varies a lot, but I'm taking a pretty heavy course load, and before this semester, I had been out of school for five years, so my studying skills are pretty weaksauce. I'd say it's somewhere between 2-4 per day, depending on when tests are coming (this includes time researching and writing papers for non-science courses).

Smart people hate to study. Undergrad classes are a joke.

Well i think everyone hates to study :D but i don't see a way around it

do you guys honestly study when you dont have tests? i just study the day before for bio/chem and the night before for physics and i've been doing fine. i call the weeks without midterms "golden weeks" because i just chill, eat out, or go out every night.

i know i will have to study much more in med school, but for now, its all good.

What year are you in? Have you been getting A's doing that?

And what about work besides studying?

The real question is who are these 6+ hour a day people?? I hate to say this. But some people just don't absorb material in a reasonable amount of time... But if you're one of those people. Maybe med school isn't for you. Idk, maybe you go to the most super competitive undergrad on earth in the hardest major. But I can't really see a valid reason for needing to study 6+ hours everyday in undergrad (yes, even premed :eek:). That makes me think you have a disability or bad study habits.

Well it's not just studying.

Do you guys take notes too? That's where a ton of my time goes. The way you guys are talking it seems like you don't have notes to take, labs to write, and other classes with homework, projects, etc..

Given all the above I just don't see how you could get it done in 0-2 hours per day, or even close.

I've had my college experience in two texas universities. While at a top Texas University I had to study at least 2-3 hrs per day totaling around 20 hrs/week on outside class work to maintain my GPA.

But when I was at a lower tier university in my hometown I could get by not studying until 1-2 days before the exam. I would cram and still make a good grade.

I'm pointing this out because different colleges have different difficulty levels. The exams at the lower tier university were unbelievably easy. The way they test students at these respective universities is different mainly due to the fact they need to cater to a certain type of student body (IE avg SAT score 2200 vs 1400).

I think that's part of it too. I've read a number of sources saying my school is the most competitive in NJ next to Princeton, and a girl in one of my classes said she just transferred from Rutgers which was apparently a joke compared to how it is here (and she's only a psych major, so it would obviously be worse for people taking sciences with labs)

Also, might as well just throw in how much "free time" you have per day as well. As in time to do what you want not including essentials like sleep, eating, showering, etc...

For me it's 2-3 hours per day probably on average. 3 would be when i workout which alone is about 1.5 hours.

For me, it's usually an hour or two at most each day, more when there are exams coming up, but I don't really study that much (depends on class though) because I just can't focus on it if I take a long time (I use notecards for my memorizing classes, which most of mine are now, so take an hour and generally have memorized most of the stuff). That's not taking into account stuff like lab writeups, research papes, etc... which take me more time.

For me, it's usually an hour or two at most each day, more when there are exams coming up, but I don't really study that much (depends on class though) because I just can't focus on it if I take a long time (I use notecards for my memorizing classes, which most of mine are now, so take an hour and generally have memorized most of the stuff). That's not taking into account stuff like lab writeups, research papes, etc... which take me more time.

Well yea basically I meant total school work outside of class

personally, i think studying 5+ hours every day in undergrad is incredibly inefficient. back when i was in the prime of my pre-med classes, i wouldnt study til 3-4 days before the exam, and then it was on average of only 3-4 hrs. in my toughest class i studied close to 30 hrs over the course of 3 days for exams.

now in my senior year, im lucky if i study 2 hours for a test the night before. granted im taking really easy gen ed classes.

obviously some people need to study more, but at some point daily studying gets excessive.

get out and live life, youll have plenty of time to study in med school

also, my undergrad is consistently top 25

Well it's not just studying.

Do you guys take notes too? That's where a ton of my time goes. The way you guys are talking it seems like you don't have notes to take, labs to write, and other classes with homework, projects, etc..

Given all the above I just don't see how you could get it done in 0-2 hours per day, or even close.

The question wasn't how much time do you spend writing notes (which, by the way, I only write in class... so thats in class time), or labs to write, or spend on homework. I consider "studying" the time your memorizing/learning material. Not working on homework or writing a lab. But even with my labs and homework, don't spend more than 2 hours a day average. Some days I'll spend 3 hours, but there's some days I don't do anything. So average would probably still be 0-2.

Which is good... because between my class, labs, internship, travel time (between everything), clubs, volunteering, eating, sleeping, I don't have more than a few hours to study everyday lol and stay sane.

I went to class almost every lecture, took good notes and refreshed the day before each test for maybe an hour or two (3.99 sGPA). I can't imagine having to study more than that for undergrad classes, just like alot of people can't imagine studying for less than 3 hours per day for the same undergrad. Obviously I realize that I'll be spending 8 hours a day studying in med school and am not naive enough to think I can get by with the same study habits as undergrad. I do have to agree with an above post though and say that those studting 8 hours/day for undergrad should be more worried than the 0-1 hour people if it really does take them that long to absorb undergrad material.

personally, i think studying 5+ hours every day in undergrad is incredibly inefficient. back when i was in the prime of my pre-med classes, i wouldnt study til 3-4 days before the exam, and then it was on average of only 3-4 hrs. in my toughest class i studied close to 30 hrs over the course of 3 days for exams.

now in my senior year, im lucky if i study 2 hours for a test the night before. granted im taking really easy gen ed classes.

obviously some people need to study more, but at some point daily studying gets excessive.

I'm not in a top-25, but this basically describes me. I keep up with my assignments and such every week, but that only takes me 2-6 hours/week (depending on whether it's just a lab report or an actual paper). I don't feel that I "neglect" my studies... I spend only as long as I need to on them. I'm sure that in med school this will be totally different.

It's probably 2-3 hours a day...4 when I've got a lot going on. Weekends vary depending on what's coming up the following week.

But yeah, really...how can people possibly say they study LESS THAN AN HOUR A DAY?? My guess is they are kidding, doing really poorly in their classes, or are freshman.

Also...6+ HOURS?! Um, hi...I'm roseglass and I'd like to introduce you to a thing called "having a life." :rolleyes:

I feel like study time has to be adapted to intelligence level/learning style. My friends can pull of the 2-3 hours the night before an organic test and come out with an A, but if I do the same I get a C. I've been diagnosed with ADHD for a very long time, and take Adderall for it, but it only brings me up to "normal" level, it doesn't make me some info-retaining superstar.

I don't "over-study," but the more I immerse myself in the material, the more comfortable I am when being tested. I don't think undergrad classes are a joke, and my genetics and cell bio classes are certainly not. However, these classes are so interesting that I choose to study that much, whether it's just organizing notes, working on efficiency in problem-solving, or clarifying points I have trouble with.

When I do this, I rarely have to study more than 2-3 hours per class the week of a test, meaning if I have a week with four tests in three days I don't have to pull the all-nighters that make everyone cranky. I think that's the goal of most students: to avoid cramming information into our heads. Especially in our science classes. Because honestly, why not just retain it and have one less concept to worry about when it comes to MCAT prep?

I consider "studying" the time your memorizing/learning material. Not working on homework or writing a lab.

Yeah...OP should've been more specific. I consider studying to include doing homework, working on lab reports, writing papers, etc. If we're talking just purely studying (i.e. reviewing material, reading ahead, etc.) ...it's probably about an hour a day.

hi, i am premed student outside usa. i have taken about 26 credits so far. i am not success in managing my time. i have Bs. can anyone help me to find a useful plan to study well and have high grades ?

Yeah...OP should've been more specific. I consider studying to include doing homework, working on lab reports, writing papers, etc. If we're talking just purely studying (i.e. reviewing material, reading ahead, etc.) ...it's probably about an hour a day.

I would consider all of those studying. And I take notes both in class and out my text in my science courses.

I do believe that my study time would decrease if I managed my time better though.:rolleyes:

I use to bat around 5-6 hours a day back in undergrad.
2hrs in the morning at my local coffee shop (yes it was starbucks =) )
then off to class / research. then another 3-4hrs solid at night at my local coffee shop again =)
On weekends it's more like 7-8hrs a day ( 3-4 hr sessions )

Well I guess the concern is about getting into med school in the first place lol.

The question wasn't how much time do you spend writing notes (which, by the way, I only write in class... so thats in class time), or labs to write, or spend on homework. I consider "studying" the time your memorizing/learning material. Not working on homework or writing a lab. But even with my labs and homework, don't spend more than 2 hours a day average. Some days I'll spend 3 hours, but there's some days I don't do anything. So average would probably still be 0-2.

Which is good... because between my class, labs, internship, travel time (between everything), clubs, volunteering, eating, sleeping, I don't have more than a few hours to study everyday lol and stay sane.

I couldn't change the title of the thread but the title of the poll said total work and so did the post.

I mean sure just the actual studying really is only about 3-4 days before exams....most of the time that I'm talking about is all the note taking for bio and chem and then all the projects/homework/write ups for all of them

I went to class almost every lecture, took good notes and refreshed the day before each test for maybe an hour or two (3.99 sGPA). I can't imagine having to study more than that for undergrad classes, just like alot of people can't imagine studying for less than 3 hours per day for the same undergrad. Obviously I realize that I'll be spending 8 hours a day studying in med school and am not naive enough to think I can get by with the same study habits as undergrad. I do have to agree with an above post though and say that those studting 8 hours/day for undergrad should be more worried than the 0-1 hour people if it really does take them that long to absorb undergrad material.

I don't know what it is, that just seems crazy to me. I think a huge part of it, and a trend I'm seeing from other peoples posts, is that most people are "going to class, taking notes, and then refreshing before an exam". This is literally impossible with the sciences I've had so far (chem 1&2 and bio). The teachers are good people and from reviews comparing schools they're apparently up there but you seriously just can't take notes in the classes. All of the lectures are power points which either just have pictures that the professor briefly explains or slides with highlights of the chapter that really doesn't tell you anything if you don't read the whole chapter by yourself anyway. So basically a huge amount of my time goes into outlining every chapter we cover

A good example of this is in my chem class. I've skipped 3-4 lectures this semester and on the first exam I scored a 91. The class average was a 65 and I either had the highest grade or the 2nd highest so going to the lecture hardly does anything. In bio for the first exam we got back today the average was a 71, I got a 98 and am probably one of the very few who took such extensive notes. So I just don't see an alternative because the students who aren't doing what I'm doing here seem to be sucking :D

We had a quiz in bio today on osmoregulation and I just studied what she went over, then a lot of the questions were on an entirely different section of the topic even though it wasn't even mentioned in class so like I said it seems you literally need to read every detail of everything mentioned.

Also...6+ HOURS?! Um, hi...I'm roseglass and I'd like to introduce you to a thing called "having a life." :rolleyes:

Yea I seem to have lost mine to work :( lol, so much for the "best 4 years of my life" :D

Sometimes it's definitely less than that, but often out of necessity. Today for example I was in classes, lab, and studies from 9:30am-7:30pm. I'll be going to sleep probably at 12:30 so even if I wanted to I couldn't do more than 4 hours or so outside of class (assuming I take some time to eat and whatnot)

Yea my mistake, like I mentioned I couldn't change it in the title but the post and poll say overall work.

I feel like study time has to be adapted to intelligence level/learning style. My friends can pull of the 2-3 hours the night before an organic test and come out with an A, but if I do the same I get a C. I've been diagnosed with ADHD for a very long time, and take Adderall for it, but it only brings me up to "normal" level, it doesn't make me some info-retaining superstar.

I agree, but I don't think I'm stupid or anything and that's the reason I need to study so much. I mean I'm outscoring the students here who are in the accelerated med school programs and almost always score in the top 1-5 grades for exams...I guess sometimes I over study but if I don't I feel like I won't be covering what I need to.

Here's a tip: you'll have more free time if you take notes during class instead. Try it sometime.

As mentioned above, this is unfortunately impossible in my classes for the most part.

It varies. Sometimes I don't study at all and save it for a long Saturday and Sunday. Sometimes I do 3 hours a day for a week and sometimes 1 hour a day. Here are some other things to consider;

-At least for me, I "study" while the tv is on (unless I'm reading), the internet, food breaks, etc. So how much of that time I'm actually studying is probably multiplied by 3-4.

-Is doing note cards or making an outline actually studying? It takes a lot of time but is pretty mindless. I even find myself daydreaming while making note cards. The amount of time I actually study said note cards or outlines is probably 1/4 of the time it took me to make them.

-As many have hinted towards, it is hard to come up with an average because most college students have varied responsibilities and it ends up that one does what is the priority at the moment (kind of procrastination, but not really). Therefore there could be a few days of not studying followed by killer cram session (which I really try to avoid, but it happens).

-Lastly, we all learn differently. Some people may not make outlines in the detail I do so it doesn't take long. Others may like to read more, which may take longer. Just because one person takes longer than someone else does not mean one person is smarter than the other necessarily.

EDIT: However, there is no reason anyone should be studying 6+ hours a day. That is just nuts.

Last edited:

If you learn the CONCEPTS, trends, and theories, then you don't have to spend 2+ hours a day memorizing pointless crap. This may also help you finish your homework really really fast so you can get back to more important things like enjoying life. :cool:

-At least for me, I "study" while the tv is on (unless I'm reading), the internet, food breaks, etc. So how much of that time I'm actually studying is probably multiplied by 3-4.

I'm guilty of this as well. Hell I am taking a break from doing some calc hw to post on SDN.

-Is doing note cards or making an outline actually studying? It takes a lot of time but is pretty mindless. I even find myself daydreaming while making note cards. The amount of time I actually study said note cards or outlines is probably 1/4 of the time it took me to make them.

I'd consider it studying. And even if you only review the cards, writing it down helps you remember it better.

Therefore there could be a few days of not studying followed by killer cram session (which I really try to avoid, but it happens).

That almost always seems to happen to me. :p:D

It varies. Sometimes I don't study at all and save it for a long Saturday and Sunday. Sometimes I do 3 hours a day for a week and sometimes 1 hour a day. Here are some other things to consider;

-As many have hinted towards, it is hard to come up with an average because most college students have varied responsibilities and it ends up that one does what is the priority at the moment (kind of procrastination, but not really). Therefore there could be a few days of not studying followed by killer cram session (which I really try to avoid, but it happens).

-Lastly, we all learn differently. Some people may not make outlines in the detail I do so it doesn't take long. Others may like to read more, which may take longer. Just because one person takes longer than someone else does not mean one person is smarter than the other necessarily.

EDIT: However, there is no reason anyone should be studying 6+ hours a day. That is just nuts.

6 hours of just studying notes each day I agree is crazy, but total though?

I can't watch tv while reading/studying but sometimes I'll have it on if I'm writing a report.

As for the outlining, I would say it definitely helps me a lot, but is also very time consuming. For example I just took from 8:20-10:20 to take notes on 10 pages of my chemistry textbook. So there's 2 hours right there with basically a 5 minute break, it's hard for me to imagine people could get by only doing that total amount of work each day (man, that much free time would be amazing...). There's about 6 "premeds" on my floor alone and the ones who are just doing 2 hours or so are the same ones who get C's on exams and I can tell are the same ones who won't really make it to med school. One or two girls I know will both make it are constantly studying.

If you learn the CONCEPTS, trends, and theories, then you don't have to spend 2+ hours a day memorizing pointless crap. This may also help you finish your homework really really fast so you can get back to more important things like enjoying life. :cool:

I don't know. I mean you could learn the basic concepts of, say, osmoregulation but if you get a question like "what signals cause ADH to be produced in the body" you're not going to know on earth the answer is unless you specifically studied ADH, it's functions, and what activates its secretion. Same could be said for chem where you have 10+ equations per chapter that you need to learn how to use given some specific wording of a problem

6 hours of just studying notes each day I agree is crazy, but total though?

I can't watch tv while reading/studying but sometimes I'll have it on if I'm writing a report.

As for the outlining, I would say it definitely helps me a lot, but is also very time consuming. For example I just took from 8:20-10:20 to take notes on 10 pages of my chemistry textbook. So there's 2 hours right there with basically a 5 minute break, it's hard for me to imagine people could get by only doing that total amount of work each day (man, that much free time would be amazing...). There's about 6 "premeds" on my floor alone and the ones who are just doing 2 hours or so are the same ones who get C's on exams and I can tell are the same ones who won't really make it to med school. One or two girls I know will both make it are constantly studying.

Well for the record I voted 3 hours. But it's not like you need to make an outline every night right? I usually take notes at the end of a chapter, and I don't know about you, but I never get assigned more than 2 chapters a week. So that's 4 hours of outlines a week. (now I know that's not practice problems, reading, etc. but you get my drift).

Last edited:

senior year, man. all I have to do is make sure I skim Cliff Notes of the Iliad before my Lit class and do some Statistics homework here and there.

Well for the record I voted 3 hours. But it's not like you need to make an outline every night right? I usually take notes at the end of a chapter, and I don't know about you, but I never get assigned more than 2 chapters a week. So that's 4 hours of outlines a week. (now I know that's not practice problems, reading, etc. but you get my drift).

Well for me that 2 hours was for 10 pages. Each chapter is about 20-30+ pages and bio pages take even longer. 2-3 chapters per week and that's maybe 12 hours per week (honestly I'd say more) outlining just chem and bio, then of course there's homework, projects, labs and my other 3 courses. That's just a "normal" week not even including the actual "studying" portion before exams/quizzes.

Well for me that 2 hours was for 10 pages. Each chapter is about 20-30+ pages and bio pages take even longer. 2-3 chapters per week and that's maybe 12 hours per week (honestly I'd say more) outlining just chem and bio, then of course there's homework, projects, labs and my other 3 courses. That's just a "normal" week not even including the actual "studying" portion before exams/quizzes.

I might say 2 hours to outline 10 pages is inefficient. That's 12 minutes per page.

I might say 2 hours to outline 10 pages is inefficient. That's 12 minutes per page.

Yea it's insane. I remember when I was going through the details of the excretory system for biology every damn sentence had a relevant and seemingly important detail, I was averaging something like 20 minutes per page while taking notes on it

I probably spend 2-3 hours per weekday studying (writing lab reports or reading up for quizzes, plus i read articles for research) and probably about 6 hours a day on saturday and sunday studying for a graduate level physiology class (going through powerpoints, reading the book, reading articles, listening to nobel prize lectures, and at times listening to lectures i record of the prof). So if I average it out it's about 13 hours on the weekdays give or take and 12 hours on friday and saturday, 25/7 is between 3-4 a day.

I probably spend 2-3 hours per weekday studying (writing lab reports or reading up for quizzes, plus i read articles for research) and probably about 6 hours a day on saturday and sunday studying for a graduate level physiology class (going through powerpoints, reading the book, reading articles, listening to nobel prize lectures, and at times listening to lectures i record of the prof). So if I average it out it's about 13 hours on the weekdays give or take and 12 hours on friday and saturday, 25/7 is between 3-4 a day.

what year are you in oaklandguy ? I also live in MI (around Madison Heights), and my schedule is pretty much the same. All of my lifeguard peers (including managers) go to OU. I love young managers (sometimes).

UCLA - 4 hours a day for 2As and a B.
Pierce - Night before test.

Sad, really.