How many hours do you work/wk?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fzwarrior

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like a lot of people on this forum devote all of their time to school and don't work. I work 3days/wk and it is tough to juggle with premed. Just wondering how many hours others in the work force put in?

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like a lot of people on this forum devote all of their time to school and don't work. I work 3days/wk and it is tough to juggle with premed. Just wondering how many hours others in the work force put in?

I used to put in around ~ 30hrs in undergrad and postbac.

Learning to multi task like this will be great for you when you reach medical school. Your classmates who are not used to it will have a tougher time adjusting to the demanding clinical schedule and work hours.

I have some classmates who even worked i medical school. The EMT's did weekend shifts. I don't know how they pulled it off.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work about 12-15 hours per week (paid research position), I think this is probably a little on the low side for people who work in undergrad, but I'm also taking about 20 credits per semester so that might balance it out a bit.

36 hours at my day job, and am paid for 20 hours a week in my assistantship (although i actually put in about 10). throughout undergrad i worked between 30-40 hours, and at one point was working 45 hours a week constantly for a year. otherwise, i bartended at night and put in 30-40 hours depending how many shifts i worked.

wow at the 40+ hrs. must be difficult to manage that while still maintaining a competitive gpa. just 20 hrs/wk for me.

20+ hrs a week working, and 4hrs a week volunteering

I have been working 35-40 per week and still managing all A's while taking at least three upper level science courses. It is hectic, but with good time managment and efficient study skills its bearable.

I can't wait until medical school because I'm not going to work. I will only have school and thats it.

I wouldn't encourage anyone to work this much though, but 20 hours wouldn't be a problem.

I normally work around 18 - 20 hours a week in a photo lab.

I do about 7 at one job + TAing
Over summer I work about 35/wk

The most I've ever done during school was 9 hrs at one job + 8-16 hours on the weekends at another + 3 hrs of research a week.

Members don't see this ad :)
16+ hours every week in a paid hospital position
15 hours a week research position
16 hours every other month for 2nd part time job
Instruct ~10 cpr classes a year 5 hours each

12 units every quarter.
Single parent

= good times :)

36-48 hrs a week (EMT) plus volunteering hrs

I have been working 35-40 per week and still managing all A's while taking at least three upper level science courses. It is hectic, but with good time managment and efficient study skills its bearable.

I can't wait until medical school because I'm not going to work. I will only have school and thats it.

I wouldn't encourage anyone to work this much though, but 20 hours wouldn't be a problem.

:thumbup: I feel the same way.

Wow this thread makes me feel terrible.

Last year I worked about 15 hours a week, plus travel time (about 17 hours a week).

This year I was going to work as a research assistant for 8 hours a week but I started falling behind in o-chem and biochem so I'm cutting it down to 5 hours a week. And yes, they let me do this because they need all the help they can get. After all, I'm not doing it for money.

I hope my lack of work experience won't make me look like I'm incapable of multi-tasking, but I guess my reasoning is that GPA + MCAT are a teeny bit more important than hours spent a week at a job.

Wow this thread makes me feel terrible.

Last year I worked about 15 hours a week, plus travel time (about 17 hours a week).

This year I was going to work as a research assistant for 8 hours a week but I started falling behind in o-chem and biochem so I'm cutting it down to 5 hours a week. And yes, they let me do this because they need all the help they can get. After all, I'm not doing it for money.

I hope my lack of work experience won't make me look like I'm incapable of multi-tasking, but I guess my reasoning is that GPA + MCAT are a teeny bit more important than hours spent a week at a job.

They are. Demonstrating strong academic capability is priority number 1.

I worked as an EMT my Junior year doing 48 to 72 hrs a week, but only enrolled in 12 credits hrs (3 science courses) per semester. Interestingly, my grades dramatically increased that year. But, I was only able to keep it up for a year due to schedualing conflicts.

I just posted this question last week. Maybe do a search first next time?

Anyways I work full-time 40hrs a week and if we get a big enough fire I go in on overtime

I work as a firefighter/EMT

I used to work around 36 hours a week after graduating so I could save up enough money for the whole med school application mess (I didn't work at all during undergrad). I was accepted to med school last year but I was deferred a year, so since then I've worked maybe 4-5 hours a week :laugh:. Just a little spending money for me since I live with my mom currently and she takes care of everything else.

I work ~30 hrs a week for the past 6 years + volunteer ~10 hrs a week for the past 2 years, but I'm really looking forward to quitting once once I get in to med school

45 hours a week, but I'm only taking 10 credits this semester.

like heinzmoleman im also a firefighter /emt, but i also work as a tech in the ER. Im averaging about 40 hrs + as well ( i work a lot of nights and weekends)

edit: 17 credit hours

Last edited:
I work 20 hrs a week + about 10-15 hours per week teaching an anatomy lab

Oh- 13 credit hours (I'm graduating soon and only need 12 next semester too)

When I was in school, I took anywhere between 12 and 17 credit hours (averaging about 15), and worked about 10 hours a week. I also did lots of extracurricular activities, especially in my senior year, which probably took up another 10-20 hours a week, more on busy weeks.

Now that I'm not in school anymore, I work anywhere from 40 to 50 hours a week (I think the most I've worked is 3 12's in addition to my other 7 8's in one pay period, so that'd be 44-48 hours a week), plus I manage a non-profit. Since it's November, I'm also writing a novel, and my daily writing takes anywhere from 3 hours to 6 hours, depending on how inspired and diligent I am in writing that day.

I work 8 hour days on Saturday and Sunday. It sucks having class 5 days a week then working all weekend. I think I'm going to find a full time job this summer and save absolutely everything I make so I won't have to work at all/as much during the school year.