How many hours for the MCAT/week?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theboeingguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a plan in mind which adds up to 40hrs/week on MCATS besides school. I'm planning to take them in July '10. Any suggestions from previous MCAT veterans as to what sections should I concentrate on more than the others? What materials should be using other than the free stuff available on line?

~ Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

:eek: You'll burn out and stuff. I studied for probably 10 hours a week for like 2 months, took a break for about a month and a half (school got to be too much). Then 25-30 hours a week during Winter Break. I tested in January so it worked out pretty nicely.

Also, I'm moving this thread to the MCAT forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a crammer so the MCAT posed a huge problem for me.

I studied about 6 hours a day for the first month that I studied...and then upped it to 8 hours a day for the second month. The last 2 weeks I just took a practice test every other day (I DO NOT recommend this last part - i started getting very burnt out by test #6 or 7 in a 2 week period lol...). But it worked out well and I went from 18 (1st test score) to 34-35 a week before the exam.

If I could go back and change anything, I would take more than JUST two months (extend it to 2.5-3 months) of pure content/strategy studying and only study 5 hrs a day the first month then up it to maybe 6-7. That way you can spread out practice exams a bit more.

YOU CAN DO IT - Im horrible at verbal reasoning and the slowest reader in the world. I took physics and G chem as a freshman and acted stupid because I was "too cool" to go to class and got straight Bs and learned nothing. The real MCAT my physical science was a 13 - up from a 4 (1st practice test ever). Anything is possible. goodluck :thumbup:

I have to agree with KSMI and J Dub. Don't start studying so intensely right now. You will burn out. Heck, I had a three month study plan and still had to take a break somewhere in there. Just take it easy until March/April. Also, if you are in school really think about if you are going to have time to devote to the MCAT in April/May when finals start getting crazy. Is there a particular reason you have July in mind?

As for the other questions. No one can tell you what you need to focus on other than yourself. It all depends on what your weaknesses are. You probably will need other materials other than the free stuff. I used the entire ExamKrackers series as well as The Berkeley Review books. I had the Kaplan books they use in class as well, but honestly, did not find them to be all that helpful.

Person: Hey, how many hours does it take to get into shape per week?

Fitness Professional: It really depends on many things. First off it depends on what your goals are. Secondly it depends on what your workouts consist of and how you spend the time. Also, your current fitness level and experience will play a huge role. After knowing all this I could give an estimate of how long you would expect to train per week.

Person: cool. Lets figure it out.

Person: How many hours does it take to prepare for the MCAT per week?

SDN'er: ___ hrs per week.

Person: cool. later on.

hmmmm.