How many hours in class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

souljah1

Attending
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I know that many threads have existed that considered how much time do we spend studying, etc...but I don't recall a thread that stated how much time we are asked to spend in class per week. I'm curious as to how UCSF compares with others when it comes to how much time they expect us to be in class/lab/pbl/etc.

I am expected to be in class about 24 hours per week. That is comprised of an average of 2 hours of lecture per day, while the rest is made up of lab, small group discussions, etc.

Share your schedules please.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, here at UCLA it's a little more traditional curriculum, so we are expected to be in class about 25 hours per week the first 8 weeks, then they add another 2 hours of class. I think they may continue to add class time as the year progresses. As an MSTP, I also have another hour or two of seminar stuff that I have to attend. There are also 'selective' courses we have to take (at least one during the year) which can add an hour or two to whatever quarter you take it in.

Later,

Adam

Mayo starts off with lots of lecture/lab hours then slowly decreases throughout the rest of first year and the beginning of second year.

First "semster" first year: 27 hours per week
Second "semseter first year: 18 hours per week
First "semester" second year: 22 hours per week
Second "semester" second year: begin clinical rotations + 8 hours lecture per week

The school year for first year is also long. This year it is August 5 until June 27...Second year classes begin again at the beginning of August and then there are no summers off.

Members don't see this ad :)
UNC is 8:30-5 three days a week, and 8:30-12:30 the other two days. It's a mix of lecture, lab, and small group discussions. All in all, it's a lot of class time, but I guess that's to be expected for the most part.

At VCU we have lecture 8-12 five days a week and then labs, small groups, precepting or reviews most afternoons.

Bizump.

and suz, if you spend 20 hours in lecture every week, how many hours per week do you spend in lab and small groups?

At Maryland we're in class 20-24 hours per week:

10 hours Lecture (2 hr/day)
10 hours Lab (2 hr/day)...but rumor has it we'll spend extra-time in there on our own

The other four hours are for Intro to Clinical Practice and PBL, which we don't start for a few more weeks. I guess they are giving us a chance to get in the groove.

At OSU (osteopathic school) we're in class about 24 hours a week. We get monday mornings and friday afternoons off.

Lectures from 9am till noon. Then labs from 1 until 5.

At the University of Puerto Rico, we have 10 hrs of lectures/week (minus a 10 minute break in between lectures, so that's 50 minutes less/week), 10 hours of labs/week (Histology & Gross Anatomy), 2 hours on Tuesdays for ICS and eventually we'll have Groups discussions on Thursday afternoons. We were told that we are NOT expected to finish the labs during the lab periods, and sometime's we've stayed for 3 1/2 hours for a Gross Anatomy lab. Also, we have ocasional Radiology semminars, and we'll have macrosemminars (More Gross anatomy) some Wednesdays during the afternoons. All in all: 21 hours/week, for now.

At McGill, we have about 4-6 hours of lecture per day, and 2-4 hours of lab or small group per week. I don't know... I'm not really enjoying my first few weeks of school so far. It's mighty hard to sit for 6 hours of lecture in a given day, you know what I mean??! But things are supposed to get better with different units coming up, when we start gross anatomy and patient visits and things like that.

20hrs of lecture a week (minus 10 mins per hour breaks)
3 hrs of PBL a week
4 hrs of clinical stuff a week

--Trek

Souljah,
We have 2 hrs of biochem small group , 2 hrs of review for each biochem and population medicine plus 3 hours of fundamentals of clinical medicne every week (one week is small group and the next is precepting).