how many hours of research is enough for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soxman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many hours of research do you think is sufficient to get into med school. Now this is not taking into account of the other highly competetive schools like Harvard, UTSW, Yale, Stanford, etc.
Thanks
Sox

Members don't see this ad.

Scientific research is a wonderful opportunity to make discoveries and to better understand science, and I would recommend it for your own enlightenment. However, you don't have to do research to get into medical school. It shouldn't be one of those things that you just want to check off a magical list. In other words, do what interests you, and you should be ok.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many hours of research do you think is sufficient to get into med school. Now this is not taking into account of the other highly competetive schools like Harvard, UTSW, Yale, Stanford, etc.
Thanks
Sox

Research isn't measured by the hour. If you work on an interesting project you can talk about and get a good LOR out of it, that is good experience. If you manage to get listed on a publication out of it, that is great experience.

Thanks
Sox

I was thinking 5-10.

Research isn't measured by the hour. If you work on an interesting project you can talk about and get a good LOR out of it, that is good experience. If you manage to get listed on a publication out of it, that is great experience.

right on. :thumbup:

Uh, there is NO requirement for research for medical school.

Do it because you enjoy it. I do.

Thanks for the replies, guys. So since research isnt a requirement, if done, would it be considered as extra curriculars? I dont think that volunteer services and shadowing a physician is actually required (correct me if I'm wrong), but it is an added plus.
I just got an opprotunity to just be involved in research for a week or so and I was just thinking if it would be beneficial for me to get into med school.

Thanks for the replies, guys. So since research isnt a requirement, if done, would it be considered as extra curriculars?
I just got an opprotunity to just be involved in research for a week or so and I was just thinking if it would be beneficial for me to get into med school.

If it's only for a week, forget about it.

...I pulled 10 40-hour weeks this summer.

Thanks for the replies, guys. So since research isnt a requirement, if done, would it be considered as extra curriculars?

I doubt you will accomplish much in a week to help you get into med school, because you won't likely get an LOR or anything like that out of it. If it's something that interests you, do it. Having done it might open the doors to more useful research of longer duration. Most of the schools that like research (which is not a requirement) like to see that it was a significant activity you worked on.
But yes, research not for a class is an extra curricular activity.:rolleyes:

I dont think that volunteer services and shadowing a physician is actually required (correct me if I'm wrong), but it is an added plus.

Having some form of clinical experience is pretty much a must if you plan to go to med school. No specific mode of clinical experience is required, but no med school will accept someone who hasn't gotten decent exposure to what physicians do. Nor should they because you cannot possibly form an idea that physician is a job you'd like to do if you haven't seen it firsthand.

So is working for 10 weeks (40+ hours per week) in the summer and presenting a poster counted as a good experience? Or is working on a research project 4 hours a week for two academic years (for example) a much better experience?

Edit: Better as applied to getting into normal med schools (not research powerhouses aka Harvard, Yale, etc).

off of the topic - i do DNA Sequencing for a lab and since it has so much potential for learning, I am getting a research credit hour for it as well. i'm obviously not partaking in an actual research project, but would this count as research for medical school?

In addition, the person I am doing the research under works for the university and runs the lab and has a Ph.D but is not a professor. Could he still get me an LOR?

So is working for 10 weeks (40+ hours per week) in the summer and presenting a poster counted as a good experience? Or is working on a research project 4 hours a week for two academic years (for example) a much better experience?

To be honest, the best experience would be the one that would produce the best LOR and give you a sense of how academic research operates (GREAT fodder for interviews). Length of time is irrelevant.