How many hours of sleep do you get per night?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axp107

UCLA>> Italian Pryde
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since there are only 2 weeks before the test, I've eased on down with the studying a little.. I've been trying to figure out the amount of sleep that is ideal for me.

When do you guys feel the most fresh.. after how many hours of sleep a night?

I'm going to try 9 - 10 hours and see how it goes.. I definitely want to get it down before test day. I tried 7 - 8 today... and I'm still feeling a little drowsy.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
depends on the quality of sleep i get. ive been hitting the gym regularly so 8 hours is excellent.

I'm exactly the opposite, I'm a lazy@$$ who is sleeping close between 10-13 hours a day, but thats just because i'm still burnt from my SMP (i was sleeping about 5 hours a day) and had a comprehensive exam to complete the degree in mid-june. Overall I feel alright to tackle the MCAT in 2 weeks. Shooting for a 2-3 point increase from a 27. If everything goes right, I could end up with a 33(my highest and most recent practice score), but my avg is about where it needs to be. Verbal needs work though, (fluctuating between 7-9, was hoping for a 10, but its looking dire) :(

Sorry for the excess info, shouldnt have had coffee this morning. :laugh:

Anyone else having problems sleeping??

I've been waking up at 3:30 in the morning after going to bed at 11pm. So, I decided to get a week's worth of Ambien (sleeping pill). Now, I wake up at 5 in the morning instead. I don't feel groggy due to the pill, which is good. But, it's still not giving me a full night of sleep. I must really be tense for even Ambien to not be effective.

7 hours is decent for me

After the MCAT, i'll probably double that amount for a little while :sleep:

Lately I've been getting 4-5 hours of sleep. My test is a week away, so this week I'm definitely going to try for 7-9 a night. It's hard to do that sometimes because I'm a night person and study best around 11-3am or so, but still need to wake up and be somewhere in the morning. I don't want to shift my schedule too much, because if I get 8 hours of sleep but wake up at 8 am, and take the test at 12 pm, I might start to get tired/drowsy during the test. (It happened on a practice test, because I typically start zoning out around 3 pm, especially when it's hot outside, etc etc).

im working on 10pm to 7am right now

although it takesa little while to actually fall asleep that s why i give myself so much time.

I have a hard time going to bed early....i usually get 5-6 hours with 1 hour anap in afternoon

I always feel groggy in the mornings whether I sleep for 7 hours,8 hours, even 9 hours... actually the groginess carries over to the afternoon and evening too..

what can I do?

I made the mistake of getting up at like 5 AM the day of the test to do a little bit of last minute studying haha. I probably should have just gotten up in time to get to the test center on time. The extra sleep would have helped more than the studying did.

I seldom get more than 4-5 hours of sleep, and most of that is in the middle of the day. I get maybe a few extra hours every other night from 11-1 ish. It sucks. I slept from 2am until just before 5 am last night, then took a shower and sat around until test time. Thank god for stimulants.