How many hours shadowing ?? Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nbde 2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I have come to the US on a visitor visa to give NBDE exams. After giving NBDE part2 in June, I am planning to do shadowing.I graduated in 2015 and don't have much experience.TOEFL score :113, GPA:3.94
I have the following questions
1. Is shadowing really helpful to get admission into advanced standing programs? If yes, how many hours should it be done?
2.Is there anything else I can do on my current visa status that would help me?
3.Should I even apply to IDP program or wait till my profile becomes stronger?

please help!! the road ahead seems really confusing!

Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!
I have come to the US on a visitor visa to give NBDE exams. After giving NBDE part2 in June, I am planning to do shadowing.I graduated in 2015 and don't have much experience.TOEFL score :113, GPA:3.94
1. Is shadowing really helpful to get admission into advanced standing programs? If yes, how many hours should it be done?

Thank you in advance
Hey, You are a recent graduate; your gpa and and toefl scores are awesome. If I were you, I would apply this year. Add some community and volunteer work. you stand a very good chance.

Hey, You are a recent graduate; your gpa and and toefl scores are awesome. If I were you, I would apply this year. Add some community and volunteer work. you stand a very good chance.
Hey! thank you for the reply! it's very encouraging to hear that I stand a good chance :)

Quick question, volunteering/communuty service experience should be from the US or from my home country?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!

Thank you in advance
Hi , u have good stats ...do apply.. regarding ur questions:
1. Shadowing is very helpful , I have'nt heard of a requirement in terms of no of hours for IDP bt im not sure I can suggest shadow as much as u want or like to, shadow at multiple practices if u can also getting an LOR from the dentist wud be a definite plus point
2. Just like said before do some volunteer / community work , it can be either in US or home country ,try finding some volunteer opportunities while u r in states.
3. I'll give u my opinion...since u cleared the basic eligibility for applying that is nbde 1 ,toefl ,ece nd now part 2 on the way I ll say focus on making a strong SOP , get good LORs ,being a recent grad u dnt have to worry abt exp, just maintain continuity for ur passion in dentistry nd present ur application in the best way( browse thru sdn prev posts u will find great suggestions for SOP) then apply to schools ( though u shud apply to max schools after shortlisting based on eligibility, I wud say do some research on schools u apply...find the aspects of the school that attract u to it since with questionnaire sec its better to knw y u want the particular school)
Path is difficult and confusing bt we shud stay positive nd keep dreaming big...;)
Hope this helps, all the best for part 2 :)

Hi , u have good stats ...do apply.. regarding ur questions:
1. Shadowing is very helpful , I have'nt heard of a requirement in terms of no of hours for IDP bt im not sure I can suggest shadow as much as u want or like to, shadow at multiple practices if u can also getting an LOR from the dentist wud be a definite plus point
2. Just like said before do some volunteer / community work , it can be either in US or home country ,try finding some volunteer opportunities while u r in states.
3. I'll give u my opinion...since u cleared the basic eligibility for applying that is nbde 1 ,toefl ,ece nd now part 2 on the way I ll say focus on making a strong SOP , get good LORs ,being a recent grad u dnt have to worry abt exp, just maintain continuity for ur passion in dentistry nd present ur application in the best way( browse thru sdn prev posts u will find great suggestions for SOP) then apply to schools ( though u shud apply to max schools after shortlisting based on eligibility, I wud say do some research on schools u apply...find the aspects of the school that attract u to it since with questionnaire sec its better to knw y u want the particular school)
Path is difficult and confusing bt we shud stay positive nd keep dreaming big...;)
Hope this helps, all the best for part 2 :)
hi!! Thank you for you advice! this is really helpful and cleared many of my doubts! :)

hi!! Thank you for you advice! this is really helpful and cleared many of my doubts! :)

i quite agree with the others.. your profile is excellent. while u prepare for the nbde part 2 i would suggest u just check on volunteer math near our community.. do few volunteer jobs. also slowly start filling out caapid if u can.. so that its good to go and all u need to update is your par 2 scores..

as for shadowing i strongly suggest it because i learnt alot. also it give u a feel of what you are in for .. the hours depends on how uch u are learning and also how comfortable your dentist is. Getting a LOR from there would def improve your chances and put u in the mix! good luck :)

i quite agree with the others.. your profile is excellent. while u prepare for the nbde part 2 i would suggest u just check on volunteer math near our community.. do few volunteer jobs. also slowly start filling out caapid if u can.. so that its good to go and all u need to update is your par 2 scores..

as for shadowing i strongly suggest it because i learnt alot. also it give u a feel of what you are in for .. the hours depends on how uch u are learning and also how comfortable your dentist is. Getting a LOR from there would def improve your chances and put u in the mix! good luck :)
Hey! Thank you! Shall keep that in mind.
I was wondering what kind of volunteering work I can do?
Do they allow people who are on visitor visa status?

Hey! Thank you! Shall keep that in mind.
I was wondering what kind of volunteering work I can do?
Do they allow people who are on visitor visa status?
Hey, as far as I knw u can shadow, volunteer , attend conferences , CE courses and short classes on a visitor visa..do check the allowed and prohibited activities on a tourist visa for details on the official site . :pompous: