how many hours studying per week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jiggabot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm comparing how much studying the different specialties have. How many hours of studying do ENT residents typically put in per week?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm comparing how much studying the different specialties have. How many hours of studying do ENT residents typically put in per week?

It depends on your program. If you have a strong didactics program in your department, you study more. It's harder to be consistent the further into the training. Everyone is different even within my department. Overall, we study more as we get closer to in-service which is in March of each year.

I haven't studied at all since the last in-service other than the required reading. Will probably start up again soon.

So to answer your question, there is no such thing as ENT standardized study hours.

There is really more to it that "studying" in the way that you might mean it.

I spend at least some time each night thinking about the cases for the next day and refreshing the anatomy and operative technique, especially complex things that I haven't done in awhile like a particular free flap. You might not consider that studying but it sure takes time, and hopefully makes me better at what I do.

My answer is similar to Big's. I spend more time closer to the in service really studying. But we do COCLIA and the home study course so those things require reading and studying too. ENT is a lot more broad than people realize and requires a lot of outside work to master, you just can't see everything at any program so you have to brush up on the stuff that is rare/not seen.