How Many Hours to Devote to Research Per Week?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mock94

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I would like some advice.

So I am corresponding with my former physiology professor about research and he asked me how much time I'm willing to devote to his lab. I told him 15 hours, and if the lab is opened on weekends 20 hours.

I'm wondering if that is too little? 15 hours translates to 3 hours per day which doesn't seem much in hindsight. So I hope I didn't screw up by giving him a low number.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

During the semesters I was in for 10-15 hrs. During the summer I was in for 30+. It's more about what you accomplish in that time and what role you play in the research.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What else are you doing on top of this?

If classes, I would say don't do more than 20 (realistically more like 10-15) at first unless you are a superhero like mimelim. If you are doing nothing else, then you should really be in the lab whenever you have work to do.

Also, it depends on how much work there is in the lab and can vary week to week. It also depends on how efficient you are in your work. Additionally, you aren't going to be working the same number of hours every day unless you're in a lab (like a fly lab) that requires exactly that. For instance, I would have some days in my lab where I would only need to go in for 30-45 minutes, but other days where I was basically in all day. It just depended on what I was working on at the time, what needed to be done, and how efficiently I worked, and what my other obligations were.

You should ask this professor what you'll be doing in the lab and how long each "thing" you have to do takes, then estimate based on that. What I would do at the beginning of each term is give my PI a readout that looked something like this:

Monday: 1-4 pm
Tuesday: 9am-1pm
Wednesday: 9am-12pm
Thursday:1-4pm
Friday: 10am-1pm

And I would just say these were the times I was free to come in and I would be in as long as there was something useful I could do during that time. It's a very lab dependent question.

Reactions: 1 users
If something in lab requires more than 15 hrs/week, would you go in still? or would you jsut do your 3hrs a day and leave? If you will still go in, then just email him again and say the 15hr/week is just the minimum and that you'll go in whenever your schedule allows, weekends included.

Can't do much in 3hrs

Yes, I would still go in. Thanks for the input!

What else are you doing on top of this?

If classes, I would say don't do more than 20 (realistically more like 10-15) at first unless you are a superhero like mimelim. If you are doing nothing else, then you should really be in the lab whenever you have work to do.

Also, it depends on how much work there is in the lab and can vary week to week. It also depends on how efficient you are in your work. Additionally, you aren't going to be working the same number of hours every day unless you're in a lab (like a fly lab) that requires exactly that. For instance, I would have some days in my lab where I would only need to go in for 30-45 minutes, but other days where I was basically in all day. It just depended on what I was working on at the time, what needed to be done, and how efficiently I worked, and what my other obligations were.

You should ask this professor what you'll be doing in the lab and how long each "thing" you have to do takes, then estimate based on that. What I would do at the beginning of each term is give my PI a readout that looked something like this:

Monday: 1-4 pm
Tuesday: 9am-1pm
Wednesday: 9am-12pm
Thursday:1-4pm
Friday: 10am-1pm

And I would just say these were the times I was free to come in and I would be in as long as there was something useful I could do during that time. It's a very lab dependent question.

I am taking 17 credit hours. But I believe I can handle up to 20 during the week. I had a job working 15 hours a week last year and took 16-18 credits (I quit the job).

And he's still thinking about where to put me. He has 3 projects going on, so I'll wait on a reply from him and ask him more specific questions then. Thank you!

One of the first rules of biomedical science research is that it's not about how many hours you spend in the lab, it's how much you get done during those hours.

Reactions: 1 user
A lot of procedures can easily take longer than 3 hours, and with preparation and cleanup time you'd be cutting it real close. So actually I think devoting 5-6 hours 3 times a week would be better than 3 hours 5 times a week.

I did about 10-15 hours when I was feeling serious about it, but at the same time, was balancing a bunch of other stuff. I think summer research is super valuable, so if you have the chance, definitely do that.

But I don't think it's a problem to say 15 hours. If you are worried, you could email the professor and say that you would be happy to do more if the project required, and that in general you are excited to work with said professor.

How you use your time> Time spent that you put on your resume

Your priority is always keep your grades up at all costs. Don't lose site of that and never do more than you can handle that'll start affecting your gpa. Research is all well and good but if it affects your gpa its not worth the commitment for admissions purposes(do less or during the summer if it starts to). Always focus on priorities and gpa takes it in this case

I did retrospective research (non-lab) at my own very flexible hrs apx 10-15 hrs a wk give or take

I was very candid with my my professor and communicated to her early about weeks about heavy testing periods when I couldn't make this happen and the understood. Communication is key to a professional relationship, especially while you're still in school and have grades that come first.

Reactions: 1 user
Having just finished college now there a couple things really I've come to learn and come away with which I guess you can say I wish I had known a little sooner and a MAJOR one is whom you get advice from is by far and away more important than any little tidbit of advice people might have for you. I bring this up because there's always ths message you'll hear from people "you need to get in a lab. you need to get into research from med school" which is something you hear from tons of pre-meds and pre-med advisors themselves.

And yes you need research to be competitive for the top tier medical schools. But really the emphasis placed on it in hindsight when I really think about it isn't all that justified. There is a video often cited on here where they polled ADCOMs from Ohio State and asked them to rank the factors that really matter for admission. One of the questions was what one thing if lacking is enough for you to really consider rejecting someone(slightly paraphrasing don't remember exact wording). Anyway, 57% cited a lack of volunteering experience. 3% cited a lack of research experience. That says it all right there. What people need EC wise at all costs is a) clinical exposure b) ability to demonstrate altruism through volunteering experiences. This along with a GPA and competitive MCAT score are what matter and are the pillars of a successful med school app. It's not spending 3 years in a lab doing research 10+ hours a week during the school year and 40+ hours during the summer for 3 years. It's not racking up publications(btw people really should realize most students even at top schools weren't published as undergrads). It's not spending devouting all your time EC wise to the lab. Because ultimately here's the reality; a not so insignificant number of people get into medical school without any research experience. A not so insignificant number of people get into top 20 schools programs with just a summer or two of research. Most matriculants don't have publications.

Ultimately when you see stats cited as "% of people who did research in undergrad" even for lower tiers in the MSAR those stats are often over 75%. Well my real only take away from that is it shows people a) are getting bad advice from pre-med advisors about how research is necessary for med school and force themselves to do it b) it shows a lack of diversity amongst applicants and willingness to do what most people don't. Because, no in itself, a lower tier med school won't look at someone who doesn't have research experience and downgrade them in most cases if they have made other good uses of their time and have other stand out experiences that document their passion for medicine and hit on the two big things EC Wise clinical exposure and demonstrating altruism I mentioned above. What they are far more likely to downgrade them is the generic pre-med who spent all his time in the lab and has a good PI letter and a summer fellowship or two but who can't express their passion through medicine through their EC's. That means generic volunteering and limited clinical exposure. It reveals not getting out of their comfort zone. It reveals someone who didn't really maximize their time in a way to highlight their passion for medicine. Are there people who get into top med schools all the time following this rubric of top stats, research experience and generic everything else? Of course. But there are two pathways you see amongst pre-meds a) the ones who go down this generic path, spend their summers in research and their main time during the school year b) Those who dedicate significant time to really exposing themselves to the field and getting out of their comfort zone. That means amongst many other examples working with less fortunate, hospice work, tutoring those with disabilities, volunteering in some places that aren't the funest and can have some rather tough experiences, really getting involved with the community, having meaningful leadership experience(not being VP of the pre-med club)---ultimately really demonstrating that altruism and showing you have clinical exposure and know what you are getting into. Sure these latter people also get a summer or two of research, but they have more that defines them. I think you'll find amongst these two groups of people, it's the latter who EC wise who tend to stand out more in the majority of cases. And really, while these sound like major time commitments, if over 4 years you spend those 15 hours a week you would be in lab on volunteering, working with the less fortunate and working your way up to meaningful leadership positions, I think in many cases you'll find that if you are into it is not unrealistic to accomplish these things in the same amount of time that you would have spent on school year research.

Anyway, those are just my take away thoughts having just finished college and spending alot of time looking back on things. It's not particularly relevant to the OP really I spent time writing this just as a general message and if this is relevant to anyone fantastic. But bottom line, never ever get attached to any one activity and act like your application hinges on it. It doesn't. This thread isn't to talk poorly of those who spend large amounts of time in research labs; there are many successful people who do this. But the key is there are always alternatives; as long as the GPA and MCAT are in place and you have a willingness to use your time not spent on those wisely, you can make yourself a very compelling candidate doing many different things and only one of those includes research.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Having just finished college now there a couple things really I've come to learn and come away with which I guess you can say I wish I had known a little sooner is whom you get advice from is by far and away more important than any little tidbit of advice people might have for you. I bring this up because there's always ths message you'll hear from people "you need to get in a lab. you need to get into research from med school" which is something you hear from tons of pre-meds and pre-med advisors themselves.

And yes you need research to be competitive for the top tier medical schools. But really the emphasis placed on it in hindsight when I really think about it isn't all that justified. There is a video often cited on here where they polled ADCOMs from Ohio State and asked them to rank the factors that really matter for admission. One of the questions was what one thing if lacking is enough for you to really consider rejecting someone(slightly paraphrasing don't remember exact wording). Anyway, 57% cited a lack of volunteering experience. 3% cited a lack of research experience. That says it all right there. What people need EC wise at all costs is a) clinical exposure b) ability to demonstrate altruism through volunteering experiences. This along with a GPA and competitive MCAT score are what matter and are the pillars of a successful med school app. It's not spending 3 years in a lab doing research 10+ hours a week during the school year and 40+ hours during the summer for 3 years. It's not racking up publications(btw people really should realize most students even at top schools weren't published as undergrads). It's not spending devouting all your time EC wise to the lab. Because ultimately here's the reality; a not so insignificant number of people get into medical school without any research experience. A not so insignificant number of people get into top 20 schools programs with just a summer or two of research. Most matriculants don't have publications.

Ultimately when you see stats cited as "% of people who did research in undergrad" even for lower tiers in the MSAR those stats are often over 75%. Well my real only take away from that is it shows people a) are getting bad advice from pre-med advisors about how research is necessary for med school and force themselves to do it b) it shows a lack of diversity amongst applicants and willingness to do what most people don't. Because, no in itself, a lower tier med school won't look at someone who doesn't have research experience and downgrade them in most cases if they have made other good uses of their time and have other stand out experiences that document their passion for medicine and hit on the two big things EC Wise clinical exposure and demonstrating altruism I mentioned above. What they are far more likely to downgrade them is the generic pre-med who spent all his time in the lab and has a good PI letter and a summer fellowship or two but who can't express their passion through medicine through their EC's. That means generic volunteering and limited clinical exposure. It reveals not getting out of their comfort zone. It reveals someone who didn't really maximize their time in a way to highlight their passion for medicine. Are there people who get into top med schools all the time following this rubric of top stats, research experience and generic everything else? Of course. But there are two pathways you see amongst pre-meds a) the ones who go down this generic path, spend their summers in research and their main time during the school year b) Those who dedicate significant time to really exposing themselves to the field and getting out of their comfort zone. That means amongst many other examples working with less fortunate, hospice work, tutoring those with disabilities, volunteering in some places that aren't the funest and can have some rather tough experiences, really getting involved with the community, having meaningful leadership experience(not being VP of the pre-med club)---ultimately really demonstrating that altruism and showing you have clinical exposure and know what you are getting into. Sure these latter people also get a summer or two of research, but they have more that defines them. I think you'll find amongst these two groups of people, it's the latter who EC wise who tend to stand out more in the majority of cases. And really, while these sound like major time commitments, if over 4 years you spend those 15 hours a week you would be in lab on volunteering, working with the less fortunate and working your way up to meaningful leadership positions, I think in many cases you'll find that if you are into it is not unrealistic to accomplish these things in the same amount of time that you would have spent on school year research.

Anyway, those are just my take away thoughts having just finished college and spending alot of time looking back on things. It's not particularly relevant to the OP really I spent time writing this just as a general message and if this is relevant to anyone fantastic. But bottom line, never ever get attached to any one activity and act like your application hinges on it. It doesn't. This thread isn't to talk poorly of those who spend large amounts of time in research labs; there are many successful people who do this. But the key is there are always alternatives; as long as the GPA and MCAT are in place and you have a willingness to use your time not spent on those wisely, you can make yourself a very compelling candidate doing many different things and only one of those includes research.
That's what I liked about my own research- I did it when I wanted, set my due dates, communicated if I something school related came up that I need to push them back bc she was a PROFESSOR- she understood that my research was important and a mutual priority but she knew my involvement in the community as well. A hard deadline was something different- something where we would compare where we were at. But a Soft deadline was flexible and she knew me well enough to know I wasn't skirting research responsibilities. That's why I prefer this research (over many things) bc I could still be a part of the community and not sacrifice. and I finished pharmacy school 5 yrs ago and did 2 yrs of residency. Now I round with doctors and I'm the one they turn to when choosing a medication and dose. That's why I want to go to medical school. I specialized in neuro and I want to learn how to treat the whole patient. The learning never stops, it always grows.

How you use your time> Time spent that you put on your resume

Your priority is always keep your grades up at all costs. Don't lose site of that and never do more than you can handle that'll start affecting your gpa. Research is all well and good but if it affects your gpa its not worth the commitment for admissions purposes(do less or during the summer if it starts to). Always focus on priorities and gpa takes it in this case
This is a key point. Productive research won't help you get into med school if your grades aren't competitive. Further, you'll need comprehensive ECs beyond just research to be successful. I suggest you communicate clearly to the PI that your hours may need to decrease during midterms and finals.