How many hrs/week are you working?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

urge

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for residents and attendings. I feel I'm working too much. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe not.

I'm averaging 55hrs/week. A saturday call puts me >60hrs/week.

How much are you working?

Members don't see this ad.

Question for residents and attendings. I feel I'm working too much. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe not.

Depends on what you're making, the amount of vacation you have and your ability to work less if you want to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Intern, huge academic center

72.6 hrs/wk average over July.

Intern, large academic center.

31.2 hrs/wk average over July. :smuggrin: (I was in the ED this month....definitely not going to be seeing less than 70/wk for the rest of the year.)

To answer the OPs question in a more useful way, the CA-X residents here quote ~65 hrs/wk for the most part. I don't think it's enough of an apples to apples situation to bother comparing PP attending hours with academic residents, though. And I agree with Pilot that you need to take the other benefits into account as well.

Pretty much the same. Weekend call is a killer, though everyone else has much easier call ( baptism time, they say ;) ). But my residency hours were very long - never shorter than 80 hours per week in the main house.

As a resident I averaged 60-70 hours a week.

As an attending, I average roughly 55-60 hours a week. A particularly busy week (i.e. weekend call commitment) might increase my hours to >70 hours a week. Based on discussions with my colleagues in the community, I think my hours are slightly below average for a primarily hospital-based anesthesiologist (NE small city).

Unless you are looking to work exclusively in an ASC, I think you can expect to work 60-70+ hours weekly as a full time anesthesiologist in a non-academic setting.

As an attending, I average roughly 55-60 hours a week. A particularly busy week (i.e. weekend call commitment) might increase my hours to >70 hours a week. Based on discussions with my colleagues in the community, I think my hours are slightly below average for a primarily hospital-based anesthesiologist (NE small city).

Unless you are looking to work exclusively in an ASC, I think you can expect to work 60-70+ hours weekly as a full time anesthesiologist in a non-academic setting.

So, how can people consider Anesthesiology a "lifestyle" field if you work 60 hours/week?

So, how can people consider Anesthesiology a "lifestyle" field if you work 60 hours/week?

Because it pays well, and your time off is really off.

~65/week for most of my residency, less toward the end.

Well under 40 so far as an attending, but that's the Navy's fault for putting me in a hospital that does very few cases. I'm going to try to get that up around 60 with some 1099 work at a couple other local hospitals.

I'm going to try to get that up around 60 with some 1099 work at a couple other local hospitals.

PGG, are there any Navy administrative hoops you have to jump through before 1099 moonlighting?

I'm a veteran, and was recently advised by one of my retired Navy physician friends to consider joining the Navy post-residency. If it was relatively easy to get moonlighting time in too, that would be another plus in my +/- analysis.

PGG, are there any Navy administrative hoops you have to jump through before 1099 moonlighting?

I'm a veteran, and was recently advised by one of my retired Navy physician friends to consider joining the Navy post-residency. If it was relatively easy to get moonlighting time in too, that would be another plus in my +/- analysis.

There are administrative hoops but they're not too onerous. There is some variability in the limitations between commands. In general, the overall attitude toward moonlighting is positive - people recognize that there are benefits to both the physician's morale and knowledge/competency.

PM me your email and I can forward a copy of the paperwork and rules to you. At my hospital, you're limited to 16 hours/week without explicit approval for more; you can't moonlight in the 6 hours before your regular Navy job; the moonlighting can't interfere with your regular Navy schedule or call duties; you can't refer military patients to other physicians at your civvie job's practice; you can't be more than X miles away unless you're on leave. It's all pretty reasonable. Your outside employer needs to sign paperwork acknowledging that you might be deployed on a moment's notice, and that it's illegal to bill Tricare for services you provide to military beneficiaries at your civvie job.

I wouldn't join and count on doing a lot of moonlighting though. First, you never know where they'll put you, and the locums market in some areas has gone to hell - around Portsmouth, for example, it's now very dry especially for new grads. They also work a lot harder than those of us at small commands (Where I am, out in the sticks, there are lots of opportunities and my Navy caseload is light so I really WANT to work more hours.) Second, if you come in on a 3 year contract via FAP to get some loan payback, you can count on being deployed for ~7-9 months of that, probably somewhere in that 2nd year. Third, some places require you to take leave to moonlight, and coming in from civilian-land you won't have any on the books; most of us coming out of military residencies have 60+ days of vacation time accrued.

Anyway, I've been super happy with the Navy. Don't know if I'll stay in past my commitment - there are about 100 things that will factor into that decision, pro & con - but it's been a good ride so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not a "lifestyle field," in my opinion.

Per hour, it's probably one of the most stressful fields in medicine.

You can find a part-time or ACS gig and make it a "lifestyle field," if you want.

:thumbup::thumbup:

It all comes down to the $$$. Those that want to earn money (better than average) must sacrifice time and family. Want that 500K plus job? Don't expect "lifestyle" along with it.

Lifestyle????
Hours were great at the rotation I've just finished, but when
1) the on call boss is 25min away
2) the nearest anaesthetic help of any sort is 7-10min away (but not actually on call)
3) you're a first year
4) you're doing a case solo
5) you're the only person in your community hospital with airway skills
...there is nothing "lifestyle" about that.

Anyone after a lifestyle job needs to pick one where you don't spend your days rendering people apnoeic and hypotensive with an airway they wouldn't be able to maintain on their own.

Out most days by 3:00pm. Get to the hospital at 6:45am. Some days home by 12:00pm some days home by 6:00pm if not on call.
On call once a week and one weekend a month. Usually home by 9:00pm. Call back rare... likely for an epidural (350 deliveries a year:)) Total time at the hospital 50 hrs. a week. Midwest has great lifestyle and reimbursment\ but only gonna be here for 3-4 years.

Similar to Sevo's gig. With a recent uptick in business, I average 7 call nights/month. At the "big" hospital, that means OR until it finishes (usually between 9pm and 1am) and then OB coverage (1400 deliveries/year). We don't come in until 3pm for call days though and out at 7am post-call. Combining that with the other hospital which is a 24-hr call with usual post-call work for $$, but rarely OR cases and a few epidurals overnight, taken from home (400+ deliveries/yr), I'd say I probably work 45-50 hours/week. It varies, but that is also with 9+ wks vacation and getting out early pre-call most times.

Even though the $$ aren't as high as other gigs (we are hospital employees), we do OK.

PMMD

PGY1 at a big academic center, which is also the major trauma and transplant center in the area. July was 60-65 hours/week on the ENT rotation. Long weekdays, but short weekend rounding and at home call (which isn't counted unless I go in). August is going to be the worst month for hours in my entire residency, easily pushing 80 hrs/week in the MICU. ER will be next, with under 50 hrs/week.

Anybody have an idea of "average" number of hours worked/week? I have heard about 55 hours/week.
Would the typical schedule look lik 6:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. plus call q5-7 days?
Thanks.

Anybody have an idea of "average" number of hours worked/week? I have heard about 55 hours/week.
Would the typical schedule look lik 6:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. plus call q5-7 days?
Thanks.

The answer you provided to your question is probably reasonable. Trouble is, it's not a very useful question. Your lifestyle is going to vary wildly based on your location and income requirements. Need to live in a city that has direct flights to heathrow and make $350K. You're gonna work really hard. Happy to live anywhere on $200K? Then you can write your own schedule.

Yes. They should remove the "A" from "ROADs". Anesthesiology is NOT a lifestyle field. Anyone seeking "lifestyle" should apply for CRNA school.

How about in academics? How many hours are people working there?