How many interviews are too many?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dallasdaines

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Checking my inbox and seeing that I received an interview invite was one of the most exhilarating things that has happened to me thus far in the application process. This morning I got a phone call that was an interview invite and an email that was another invite to a different school. Those today today make ten total interviews, and I haven't even had my first one yet. It's not until next Monday. Things are getting pretty expensive, as you can imagine, but I don't feel confident turning down interviews until I at least have an acceptance somewhere. Has anyone else been in this situation, or is in this situation right now? Have you turned down interviews without having an acceptance? How long can you wait to schedule an interview without seeming like you don't care about attending that school? I have researched the schools that I applied to, but I hear so many people say that their preferences for schools change once they interview and see the campuses. What the hell do I do? How many interviews are too many?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't feel confident turning down interviews until I at least have an acceptance somewhere.

THIS.

if you really feel that you would never ever never go to some school even if accepted then dont do that interview.

there are too many intangible variables in this whole process to give up interviews. Until you have a acceptance somwhere do your best to attend all interviews.

You would much rather be in the position of saying NO to schools rather than reapplying next cycle.

Remember that you will be paying a arm and a leg to go to medical school. its important that you go to a school that fits you. Whatever those variables are they are unique to you. At the end of this, you want to have a good experience and you have make that happen right now by seeing and picking what you like and dont like about each school.

:)

Checking my inbox and seeing that I received an interview invite was one of the most exhilarating things that has happened to me thus far in the application process. This morning I got a phone call that was an interview invite and an email that was another invite to a different school. Those today today make ten total interviews, and I haven't even had my first one yet. It's not until next Monday. Things are getting pretty expensive, as you can imagine, but I don't feel confident turning down interviews until I at least have an acceptance somewhere. Has anyone else been in this situation, or is in this situation right now? Have you turned down interviews without having an acceptance? How long can you wait to schedule an interview without seeming like you don't care about attending that school? I have researched the schools that I applied to, but I hear so many people say that their preferences for schools change once they interview and see the campuses. What the hell do I do? How many interviews are too many?

Schedule all the schools that you hold lukewarm sentiments for after the holidays in January. You can cancel those later if you get accepted. Schedule 4 of your top choices immediately.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with jumpstar. prioritize your interviews

you don't want to burn any bridges... sure it will cost you a few hundred for an interview, but is it really that much in the long term? i mean surely you spent hundreds on studying for a test, hundreds on a suit, invested thousands of hours studying for courses, labs, volunteering, shadowing, etc.

you can make the money back, but if you lose an opportunity to go to a school, you can't always get that back.

Schedule all the schools that you hold lukewarm sentiments for after the holidays in January. You can cancel those later if you get accepted. Schedule 4 of your top choices immediately.

This is great advice. The only problem is that when I had interviews come in, I scheduled them sooner rather than later, thinking it would increase my chance of acceptance. I also had to buy plane tickets which are non refundable. I guess you live and learn.

Had 12 interviews lined up and once I gained an acceptance I cancelled 4 that I didn't really see myself attending. So get one first and you have more leeway into which ones you want to attend. One acceptance helps you relax and feel all giddy inside =]

I have 13 II so far, have went to 10 (5MD/5DO), cancelled 2, and have one more to go here in the next few days...

1- Keep going to them until you have an acceptance
2- prioritize the most important ones
3- schedule the lower priority ones for later after you hear back from a few
4- sometimes schools will surprise you after you go there and will change drastically vs. your pre-interview perspective
5- don't cancel any until you get a yes from some place!

:luck: Count your blessings and good luck! There are many who would love to be in such a great position

If it's possible schedule a school you are only so-so interested in first. That way you can get your interview nerves out of way. I did that and it helped a ton. If it's not possible to do it then don't worry.