How many interviews do you plan to attend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheMightyAngus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far, I have 7 interviews at a wide range of places (2 top tier, 3 mid tier, 2 safeties). I'm perfectly content with these, and dont want anymore. I haven't received any acceptances yet, but I really can't handle taking more time and $$$ to fly around and interview. $5k on the credit card already and I'll keep on trucking until I get accepted. But this is getting ridiculous! How many interviews do you all plan on attending? How many does the "average" student attend?

Members don't see this ad.

i would advise you to stall until you get accepted cos honey u do not want to be left out in the cold with no acceptance for 2006

TheMightyAngus said:
So far, I have 7 interviews at a wide range of places (2 top tier, 3 mid tier, 2 safeties). I'm perfectly content with these, and dont want anymore. I haven't received any acceptances yet, but I really can't handle taking more time and $$$ to fly around and interview. $5k on the credit card already and I'll keep on trucking until I get accepted. But this is getting ridiculous! How many interviews do you all plan on attending? How many does the "average" student attend?

More is better. Remember, the average, student (and by that I mean more than 70% of all you bright-eyed hopefulls) will be rejected. If you want to actually get into medschool then stack the odds in your favor.

BTW, if you don't have the stamina for the hassles of the interview process you're gonna find medschool itself a real big shock.

-casey

Members don't see this ad :)
TheMightyAngus said:

Well you basically got told by a top-tier school (will not say on these forums for privacy) that you were accepted, right? So your number might be a bit lower than the rest...

Casey James said:
More is better. Remember, the average, student (and by that I mean more than 70% of all you bright-eyed hopefulls) will be rejected. If you want to actually get into medschool then stack the odds in your favor.

BTW, if you don't have the stamina for the hassles of the interview process you're gonna find medschool itself a real big shock.

-casey

lol, how can more than 70% be average?

Also, flying all over the country and spending all your money is a far cry from being in med school :p

OP, I'm going to go to any interviews I get, but I only applied to 9 schools. I think if you're comfortable with what you have, there's no reason not to cancel some interviews. That said, I do think you might wait until you get an acceptance, just to be sure you have somewhere to fall back on.

i think you should keep going until you have 1 acceptance in hand. from there, you can decline others based on how that school is ranked in comparison to others on your list.

I was told by a top school that I was defenitely going to be accepted.... haven't heard from them yet! I kept going to other interviews.... I was accepted this past friday... at a better school!!!! :love:
If I were you, I would keep going to interviews until you get accepted.... the school you may poo-poo now... may end up being your only choice!!!!

So the majority of applicants go to over 7 interviews? I'm positive I'll be throwing money into the wind until i get accepted. I just wanted to know how many interviews you all anticipate on attending?

TheMightyAngus said:
So the majority of applicants go to over 7 interviews? I'm positive I'll be throwing money into the wind until i get accepted. I just wanted to know how many interviews you all anticipate on attending?

i've gotten 11 offers and am going on 10 of these interviews...i've already gotten into 2 of my top choices (!!!!!!!), but i'm going to others if for no other reason than financial aid considerations...

besides, i've got friends in all these cities, so i wanna go visit them...what better excuse than a med school interview? ;)

I will go to every allo school interview until I get an acceptance. so... HURRY UP AND GIVE ME SOME INTERVIEWS!

TheMightyAngus said:

Right now 3 or 4 out of 8 offers, but I didn't decline until I had an acceptance. I'm not sure I could have gotten time away from work to go to the others, but without an acceptance, I would have tried.

I turned down the rest of the interviews I had scheduled once I was accepted... Financial Aid or not... I don't have the money to fly to all of these schools... I've been invited to interview at 5 NYC schools and none will move the dates around so I wont have to fly out there 5 times... Oh well... so no more interviews for me, unless its a school in california

I wouldn't even try to guess how many, OP, but plenty of people do attend more than seven interviews. So as the previous posters told you, if you haven't been accepted anywhere yet, and you're fortunate enough to have been invited to seven interviews, you'd be wise to attend all of them. Even after you get your first acceptance, you may still want to attend some of your additional interviews if you really like those schools and would consider attending them over the one where you are already accepted. To save money, try to coordinate trips to the same part of the country, and stay with med students when possible. Good :luck: to you.

Someone I know last year interviewed at 11 and got waitlisted everywhere until like May. Then again, I've only done 5 so far and even though I have an acceptance I am still flying to interviews, but have dropped at least 2. I have another friend who is ONLY applying to ONE school. No interview yet. I guess it's totally up to what your own style is.

mamd2be said:
I turned down the rest of the interviews I had scheduled once I was accepted... Financial Aid or not... I don't have the money to fly to all of these schools... I've been invited to interview at 5 NYC schools and none will move the dates around so I wont have to fly out there 5 times... Oh well... so no more interviews for me, unless its a school in california

This sucks. What is it about the NYC schools that makes them such jerks? :(

I will go to any interview offered to me! I even went to an interview yesterday after being solicited by those "mall marketers" just for the practice.

"Tell us, Ms. Wilson, what did you think of New and Improved All-temper-Cheer?"
"I am so glad you asked, your school offers the perfect combination of student support and expectations for excellence that many other schools are lacking."

Feel free to tell you schools that I would be HAPPY to be your proxy.

;)