How many interviews should I attend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nebuchadnezzar90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I applied to 16 schools because my grades aren't too good and I thought I would only get two or so interviews. Luckily I have been invited to 7 interviews so far and I think i'll get invites to a few more. Would going to all the interviews be overkill? Should I only go to my top 5 or 6 schools?

I picked the schools because I can see myself going to all of them but it's a lot of money to travel to all of them. I know nothing is 100% but will I have a good chance of getting accepted to one of the 5 or so interviews that I attend? or should I just go to all of them and not take the risk?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you currently in school? If not, try scheduling your interview dates close together. You can drive to the different states (granted that they're close by) and room with friends at nearby campuses to cut back on expenses. That's what my friend did.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you currently in school? If not, try scheduling your interview dates close together. You can drive to the different states (granted that they're close by) and room with friends at nearby campuses to cut back on expenses. That's what my friend did.
Not in school, just have a job. Unfortunately, i'm all the way in South Florida so driving is not feasible besides the three schools in Florida. Using Airbnb has help me keep the costs down though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it depends on how much you're willing to spend. Logically speaking, though, if you have good interviewing skills you shouldn't need more than 5-6 interviews to net you a seat. Congrats by the way!

I think it depends on how much you're willing to spend. Logically speaking, though, if you have good interviewing skills you shouldn't need more than 5-6 interviews to net you a seat. Congrats by the way!
Thanks, I like to think i'm pretty good in interviews but I have never recorded myself so who knows lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,
I applied to 16 schools because my grades aren't too good and I thought I would only get two or so interviews. Luckily I have been invited to 7 interviews so far and I think i'll get invites to a few more. Would going to all the interviews be overkill? Should I only go to my top 5 or 6 schools?

I picked the schools because I can see myself going to all of them but it's a lot of money to travel to all of them. I know nothing is 100% but will I have a good chance of getting accepted to one of the 5 or so interviews that I attend? or should I just go to all of them and not take the risk?

Thanks in advance.
Thats awesome, I would try to attend as many as you can because that will lead to more options in the end. If you dont mind me asking, when did you apply?

Thats awesome, I would try to attend as many as you can because that will lead to more options in the end. If you dont mind me asking, when did you apply?
I submitted my application on June 21st but didn't get my committee letter until July 15th.

Those are solid stats. As long as you have good interpersonal skills you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I would go on all of your interviews. At least until you get an acceptance.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to cut down even more than airbnb use couch surfing

I would still attend all of them. Or at least try to.
Yup. Some people may get just one interview and still get accepted while some may get 10 or more interviews but that means nothing if you get no acceptance (statistically unfavorable but still possible).

Reactions: 3 users
I'd go to all of them since it's fun seeing new cities, you never know which schools you actually really like, and you don't ultimately know which of them will accept you.

Push the ones lower on your list to post-December and cancel them after December 1 if you get in somewhere you would rather go.

Hey, what was your TS and what was your science gpa, if you don't mind me asking? I have very similar stats and no interviews yet ;(. But my last letter was in July 22, and my actual application was turned in July 15.

Decline the rest so I can get one....lol. Attend the ones you really want, and try and schedule for after Dec 1st after you find out of acceptances.

I would go to all of them .. I personally know someone applied to Medicine and did 9 interview but had no offer! and another one has one interview and got an offer! so just remember all the hard work you did until you submitted applications, I 'm sure you don't want to go through this again

Last edited:
At that point, probably sign up for as many as you can afford, but then save some scheduled for after Dec 1 (the earliest you can find out if you got any offers). That way, you can see if you get any acceptances and use that as feedback for whether your interviews are going okay, because if you made it to the interview stage, then it basically your interview skills become the determining factor. If you get offers and are confident that you are fine with not interviewing at any more schools, then you can always decline or cancel the upcoming interviews. If you find out that your interview skills need improvement, you will still have chances.

OP thinly veiled brag...

But in all seriousness, attend as many of them as you can. If you get any post-December interviews and none of them are your top choice

OP thinly veiled brag...

But in all seriousness, attend as many of them as you can. If you get any post-December interviews and none of them are your top choice
Yeah, i'm going to attend all the pre-December ones. Not too fun flying from Florida to Vegas to Maryland though lol.