How many interviews will you go on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alwayslight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Soo if you've been checking the interview invite list so far...here's my recap:
LIJ, Stonybrook, Case Western, East Carolinas, Thomas Jefferson, Baylor-Houston

And I'm afraid to admit that I also applied for neuro (out of fear of not getting PMR invites)...and so far I have 6 neuro invites as well, including one at Dartmouth (definitely a huge shocker)

So how many interviews does everyone plan on going to?

Considering we also have to land a prelim spot...my mind is spinning with all this scheduling and travel anticipation!

Members don't see this ad.

Is your first choice truly PM&R or Neurology? And out of curiosity what would make you chose one over the other?

Also what are you looking for during the interview in a PM&R program that would you make more inclined to rank that program higher? What would scare you off from ranking a particular program high?

are you cancelling your Neuro interviews now?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I could have it my way... I'd have PM&R in NY. ANY PM&R program (but a lot of the NY programs, to my knowledge, havent handed out invites yet)

I'm starting to realize now though that location is essentially more important to me... because of personal reasons. I'm going on all my interviews to keep my options open...and then when the time comes I'll rank accordingly. Who knows where my mind will be a few months from now. I'm just lucky that I have 2 months off so I can head off to all these places

What about everyone else here??

Sorry Ivyleague, just saw your post. As I mentioned before...my first choice is DEFINITELY PM&R. I know that there's a LOT of overlap of the two fields, but I think that PM&R offers more flexibility and a wider range of opportunities/patient variety. Along with the neurological aspects of PM&R, I absolutely looove the MSK component.

Anyway, as for ranking... I think I'm going to end up ranking my NY programs high... and then take it from there. We'll see what happens. My first interview is at Case Western this Monday for PM&R! Very nervous! If anyone has advice...please shoot it this way!

I appreciate your honesty. When I first applied to PM&R, I also initially had a 'geographic preference' in mind, but when I ultimately finished interviewing, I went with going to a program where I felt I would have the best teaching/training and a supportive Program Director (VERY important), who would bat for me no matter what whether it was applying for a job or fellowship.

I ended up going to that PM&R program. I did work hard during my inpatient rotations managing SCI/Stroke/TBI/Cancer rehab patients with complex medical issues, studying hard for our anatomy/kinesiology sessions where we're expected when draw out any plexus, nerve branches, and name the Origin/Insertion/Action/Nerve/Roots of any muscle when asked on the spot, but they did it because they only wanted to train us to be the best physiatrists out there. And while all my co-residents are brilliant, we're very supportive of each other and help each other whether it's helping with admissions, learning material, or helping each other perfect EMG/NCS or musculoskeletal ultrasound. I actually hang out a lot with them outside of work as friends, which is another big thing you want to look for in programs.

I'm graduating in June, and all of the seniors that applied to fellowships from our class got into ACGME accredited fellowships, i myself got into an ACGME accredited Pain Fellowship. It's a product of not just hard work, but also strong support from our Residency Director and Chairman for all our endeavors (btw, I'm not Chief, so i'm not saying this to brown-nose our administration, lol).

So my advice would be to think about everything and not just limit yourself to programs based on 'geographic preference.' Like I understand you really like NYC programs, but I would be open to great PM&R programs that are nearby NYC (e.g., NJ and Philadelphia!)

oh ABSOLUTELY! anywhere in the tri-state area is what I'm looking for.

i'm certain that my opinions will change as the interview process goes along

Hey alwayslight,
Congrats on getting interviews at Baylor and Jefferson, both are top competitive PM&R programs and they're pretty selective of whom they interview.

Let me know how they go! :thumbup:

late response on this thread... but I've canceled all my neuro interviews! I did go on ONE of them..and while I won't say what program it was... let's just say when I asked the PGY-II if she was happy... I didn't get a clear response ! Q4 30hr call for the entire year....the residents just kept telling me they didn't realize how much work they signed on for -- almost felt really bad for them

Anyway...bottom line is .... all my chips are in PM&R ! Woohoo!