How Many Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

pinkeclipse

How many interviews are this year's applicant's going on?

I've heard 8 is supposed to be okay for PM&R, but does that apply if you are interviewing at top programs?

I'm thinking that the top programs are waaay more competitive. Meaning that there's a good chance you may not be ranked as highly as you would at "lower tier" schools. So to ensure a match, should you interview at more programs if you have a good number of interviews at top ones? I hope I'm explaining this right.

I'm having a situation where I'm getting a lot of interviews and the dates are conflicting. I've tried to squeeze them all in, but now I don't have any more room based on the dates they are giving me. I *think* I may have to cancel some. However, I don't feel confident enough in my application to be canceling interviews like that.

I remember a member here who interviewed at the top places (RIC, Mayo, etc), which ended being about 6, and she didn't match. She was strong enough for the interviews but I guess not strong enough to be ranked. I'm afraid of this happening to me.

What's your number? Or goal number? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.nrmp.org/data/matchoutcomes2006.pdf

This should help, look at page 47. Almost all US seniors match, and if you do 8 or more interviews, your changes of not matching are very small.

If you're not a US senior, then you will have a higher hill to climb.

Hey,

I'm applying for this year's match and I was wondering the same thing. I feel like you should apply to a few "safety" places as well as the top programs. If, by chance, the top programs fill and you are ranked a little lower, you'll have a backup. I am doing 12 interviews (a lot i know) and i probably have 4-5 "safety" interviews. I dont want to scramble or not match.

hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interviewing at 9....though still yet to hear anything from 2 programs.

I would go on as many as you can reasonably afford (in both time and/or $$).

I don't want to scramble/not match, but I also don't want to go to a program that doesn't have the majority of what I'm looking for.

Last edited:
The number of interviews you need to do will also depend on the number of spots available at the programs you are applying to. Many of the so-called "top tier" programs are also the larger programs in the country, with 9-12 spots per year, while some of the "lower tier" programs have a lot fewer. If you are mostly applying to smaller programs, you should probably interview at more of them to ensure a spot even if they are not considered very competitive programs.

I was wondering how worried I should be? I only have 4 interviews that I've scheduled. I applied to 12 programs. 4 No's, 4 yeses (Mizzou, KU, MCV, Mayo), 4 havent heard from (UCLA, UC Davis, Stanford, Utah). I'm pretty worried if I only have 4 to go off of.

Don't be afraid to email a program that you haven't heard from yet and tell them you are interested. I did this with one program that I was particularly interested in and they granted me an interview. I ended up ranking them 2nd and matched there!

Don't be afraid to email a program that you haven't heard from yet and tell them you are interested. I did this with one program that I was particularly interested in and they granted me an interview. I ended up ranking them 2nd and matched there!

Wow, that's pretty cool TRA. Nailed the interview I guess. Good job. Where did you end up?

Wow, that's pretty cool TRA. Nailed the interview I guess. Good job. Where did you end up?

University of Minnesota. One of the most important decision makers for me was a reasonable one-day drive to my home in South Dakota. That really only included U of Colorado (didn't get invite), Mayo (ranked #1 but didn't match) and Minnesota. I went to the interview and was very pleasantly surprised and more impressed than for anyplace but Mayo.