How Many Interviews?

Started by pinkeclipse
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

P

pinkeclipse

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How many interviews are this year's applicant's going on?

I've heard 8 is supposed to be okay for PM&R, but does that apply if you are interviewing at top programs?

I'm thinking that the top programs are waaay more competitive. Meaning that there's a good chance you may not be ranked as highly as you would at "lower tier" schools. So to ensure a match, should you interview at more programs if you have a good number of interviews at top ones? I hope I'm explaining this right.

I'm having a situation where I'm getting a lot of interviews and the dates are conflicting. I've tried to squeeze them all in, but now I don't have any more room based on the dates they are giving me. I *think* I may have to cancel some. However, I don't feel confident enough in my application to be canceling interviews like that.

I remember a member here who interviewed at the top places (RIC, Mayo, etc), which ended being about 6, and she didn't match. She was strong enough for the interviews but I guess not strong enough to be ranked. I'm afraid of this happening to me.

What's your number? Or goal number? Thanks.
 
Hey,

I'm applying for this year's match and I was wondering the same thing. I feel like you should apply to a few "safety" places as well as the top programs. If, by chance, the top programs fill and you are ranked a little lower, you'll have a backup. I am doing 12 interviews (a lot i know) and i probably have 4-5 "safety" interviews. I dont want to scramble or not match.

hope that helps!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm interviewing at 9....though still yet to hear anything from 2 programs.

I would go on as many as you can reasonably afford (in both time and/or $$).

I don't want to scramble/not match, but I also don't want to go to a program that doesn't have the majority of what I'm looking for.
 
Last edited:
The number of interviews you need to do will also depend on the number of spots available at the programs you are applying to. Many of the so-called "top tier" programs are also the larger programs in the country, with 9-12 spots per year, while some of the "lower tier" programs have a lot fewer. If you are mostly applying to smaller programs, you should probably interview at more of them to ensure a spot even if they are not considered very competitive programs.
 
I was wondering how worried I should be? I only have 4 interviews that I've scheduled. I applied to 12 programs. 4 No's, 4 yeses (Mizzou, KU, MCV, Mayo), 4 havent heard from (UCLA, UC Davis, Stanford, Utah). I'm pretty worried if I only have 4 to go off of.
 
Don't be afraid to email a program that you haven't heard from yet and tell them you are interested. I did this with one program that I was particularly interested in and they granted me an interview. I ended up ranking them 2nd and matched there!
 
Don't be afraid to email a program that you haven't heard from yet and tell them you are interested. I did this with one program that I was particularly interested in and they granted me an interview. I ended up ranking them 2nd and matched there!

Wow, that's pretty cool TRA. Nailed the interview I guess. Good job. Where did you end up?
 
Wow, that's pretty cool TRA. Nailed the interview I guess. Good job. Where did you end up?

University of Minnesota. One of the most important decision makers for me was a reasonable one-day drive to my home in South Dakota. That really only included U of Colorado (didn't get invite), Mayo (ranked #1 but didn't match) and Minnesota. I went to the interview and was very pleasantly surprised and more impressed than for anyplace but Mayo.