How many is too many?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melvindo

OKLAHOMA NATIVE
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
During forth year I know it is important to do electives in the feild you want to go into, but how many is too many. I have heard at least two is good. What about three? Is that too much or should I spend my time doing other electives like rads and anesthesia?

Members don't see this ad.

melvindo said:
During forth year I know it is important to do electives in the feild you want to go into, but how many is too many. I have heard at least two is good. What about three? Is that too much or should I spend my time doing other electives like rads and anesthesia?

I wouldn't do more than two unless you just really have a great reason for a third.

I concur.

Two is good, more than that is excess... unless you have a really good reason. You should try and enjoy your fourth year.

Members don't see this ad :)
roja said:
I concur.

Two is good, more than that is excess... unless you have a really good reason. You should try and enjoy your fourth year.

I hear from almost everyone that it is neccessary to do a rotation at the program you are interested in. Won't you be disadvantaged if you are applying to several more than 2 or 3 programs and don't have the opportunity to rotate there?

OSUdoc08 said:
I hear from almost everyone that it is neccessary to do a rotation at the program you are interested in. Won't you be disadvantaged if you are applying to several more than 2 or 3 programs and don't have the opportunity to rotate there?

It's not neccessary. It definitely helps if you show up to your number one choice and blow them away, but there are a lot (I would say the majority) of residents in programs that they didn't rotate at as med students.

Yup. I didn't rotate at my residency, and it was my first choice.

Along these same lines. Is it better to rotate at a big name in EM (Carolinas, Baltimore, Hennepin etc.) or try for that "shine" spot at your M3 conceived #1?
In other words, is a great LOR from a known program better than rotating through with a hopeful honors at where you want to be?

If you know where you want to go then do the rotation there. If you don't know then I would suggest doing your rotation at a location where you are at least interested. I don't think that doing a rotation at a big name (and lets not get into the "big name" argument) that you aren't interested in or competitive for is a good idea. Keep in mind that it sometimes takes lots of planning and months (6+) of lead time to set up electives...especially during the summer months.

The most important thing from an away rotation is the letter. In EM there is a standardized form that accompanies each letter. You want to get a "superior" or whatever the top recommendation is on that letter. It is best if you get a letter from the residency program director. When you get to your first day of the rotation look at the faculty schedule. Make sure you work at least 2 shifts with the program director. If you have to switch or come in on extra days then do it.

I had a good letter from a program director at a smaller name EM program and it opened lots of doors. As long as the letter is good then the reputation of the program is only secondary. Good luck.