how many jobs to list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capazzo22

capazzo22
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm posting again. I have worked a LOT of different jobs, some for short periods of time (as in a month or two) and some longer. I'm assuming it would be best to only list the jobs I have worked at for at least 6 months or so, but is there such a thing as listing too many jobs?

Members don't see this ad.

On the same note, how far back should I list jobs that I had? Do I need to go seven years back when I was a professional weed-eater?

I just posted my jobs and extracurriculars since starting college.

Members don't see this ad :)
In all seriousness if you have something that provides merit to your app (a job that required leadership or critical thinking, or clinical experience) then by all means put it on there. But adcoms don't care how great of a sandwich artist you were at Subway.

In all seriousness if you have something that provides merit to your app (a job that required leadership or critical thinking, or clinical experience) then by all means put it on there. But adcoms don't care how great of a sandwich artist you were at Subway.

This is where I am a bit confused as well.....

If you were working during college, even at a subway, I think it shows that you handled school and working at the same time...or can help make an excuse for my B in orgo :p....

What are people doing?

I asked this last year. LizzyM's response was basically, if you worked the job while going to school at any point, LIST IT. It doesn't matter how old it was or how trivial it was, LIST IT. For me, that ended up being a decent number because I had to basically include all my work history since 17... Some schools seemed to have issues with it (like LECOM-B, Annette couldn't figure out that I had worked in biotech for 15yrs in addition to some PT jobs while taking classes), but I don't think it was an issue for the most part...

This is where I am a bit confused as well.....

If you were working during college, even at a subway, I think it shows that you handled school and working at the same time...or can help make an excuse for my B in orgo :p....

What are people doing?

This was my thought process as well. I mean I had a new baby, two part-time jobs that were nothing special in and of themselves, and my EC activities all going on at once. I'd kind of like to showcase that a little (especially since my grades weren't straight A's).

I asked this last year. LizzyM's response was basically, if you worked the job while going to school at any point, LIST IT. It doesn't matter how old it was or how trivial it was, LIST IT. For me, that ended up being a decent number because I had to basically include all my work history since 17... Some schools seemed to have issues with it (like LECOM-B, Annette couldn't figure out that I had worked in biotech for 15yrs in addition to some PT jobs while taking classes), but I don't think it was an issue for the most part...

So you listed all work you did even from High School age? If I did that it would be a LOT of jobs, everything from working at a junkyard, plumbing, roofing, well-drilling, worm-farming, and the list goes on. lol

So you listed all work you did even from High School age? If I did that it would be a LOT of jobs, everything from working at a junkyard, plumbing, roofing, well-drilling, worm-farming, and the list goes on. lol

Adding every little summer job will not help your cause. Just use common sense. If you worked at a place for a while, at least a year, list it. If you had a job that lasted less than a year but involved community service, research, medicine, or was a leadership role list it. If you had a job while you were in college list it.

For those of you that have multiple jobs, have you considered lumping them all into one "employment" entry? That way you can list them all, as long as it doesn't completely eat up your word limit, then give a little more detail about the ones that were more meaningful/leadership oriented, etc.? Just a thought.

But adcoms don't care how great of a sandwich artist you were at Subway.

I beg to differ good sir. Working at Subway has helped me to envision the whole sandwich, not just it's individual parts. Knowing that the cheese going on top of the meat, but underneath the veggies has been integral to my understanding of sandwiches. However, the sauce is the most important because it brings the sandwich together.