how many letter of recs for cards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulldog

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many letters of recs did you get for those who matched last year or will u get for those applying to cards this year? I"m thinkiing 1 program director + 2 cards or 1 program director + 3 cards. not sure if u could even send 4.

Members don't see this ad.

It varies individually for each program, you can check on their websites under fellowship application.

Most programs want the program director + 2 "other" letters, although some want the PD + 3 "other" letters. They usually don't specify who the "other" letters should come from, but getting them from cardiologists is a good idea.

When I applied, I submitted PD + 2 cardiologist letters + research letter to most programs, which seemed to work out well.

Last edited:
agree with Dreemer,
I would try to get 3 plus the PD letter, with at least 2 from cardiologists. The other one could be a research letter or a medicine faculty letter, if it's someone who knows you well. Most programs won't complain if you send 4 (counting the PD's letter).