how many letters for REc from dentists do you need? thanks

• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

ecdoesit

DDS/MS
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Status
I had none from a dentist.
But I have 2 science, 1 non-science and 1 employer.
I guess they wrote good stuff about me.

critterbug

I like big buttz. No Lie!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 13, 2003
yeeHa, Texas
Visit site
Status
I had one from a dentist.

About the Ads

munbue

Roy Munson
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2003
Florida
Visit site
Status
Well, I didn't have any. I had one from my physics teacher, one from nutrition teacher, one from EKG teacher, and one from a buddy who is a family practice physician....I now know it's not true, but I was told that schools didn't care for recommendations from any doctors. Oh well, I think as long as there good it doesn't really matter.

ecdoesit

DDS/MS
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Status
oops, sorry, i misread the question.

LOR requirement is different from school to school. You should check their website to be sure. Most likely, I would say 2 science (ask them to define science too, cos in one sch engineering is not science while psychology is.) and 1 extra. LLU requires a religious leader. Some schools require dentist and/or employer. They basically want someone who knows u well. They want to see how other people perceive you in addition to your stats.

ToothMonkey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2004
Status
ecdoesit said:
ask them to define science too, cos in one sch engineering is not science while psychology is
What school counts psych as a science?

critterbug

I like big buttz. No Lie!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 13, 2003
yeeHa, Texas
Visit site
Status
I think Baylor requires one from a dentist

busdriver

what do i know?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2003
San Francisco
Visit site
Status
i know that unlv requires one from a dentist and ohio state requires proof that you've shadowed a dentist for about 20 hours (20 or 30). the ohio state one isn't really a rec letter...but the dentist is supposed to fill it out as well.

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2003
Visit site
Status
Dental Student
On a related note. How much weight do you think a letter of recommendation froma dentist has over other recommendations?? Does it stand out over others? :confused:

The Musketeer

Guardian of Justice
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2004
Cleveland (ON, Can)
Visit site
Status
Dentist
I don't think so. In order for the LOR to stand out, the person who is writing it, whether it may be a professor or a dentist, must have an in-depth knowledge about you - your personality, skills, motivation, academic standing, etc, so that they can write a detail LOR about YOU.

Reputation will mean nothing if that person or dentist does not know you who writes a brief, impersonal letter. However, adcom will likely to remember a LOR which provides detail and personal information about you - even if it might not have come from a dentist.

tina4281

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2004
Visit site
Status
i got 6 letters because i applied to 15 schools and they all had different requirements.

2 research mentors
1 english prof
1 biochem prof
1 molecular bio prof
1 dentist

Woodsy

S-D-N Blue Blood
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2003
Rosedale, Toronto
Visit site
Status
i didn't have any.

To be honest you don't need any letter of rec from a dentist as most schools don't even look at that. Usually 3 profs are good enough/.

SillyRabbit

Trix R 4 Kidz
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2003
NYC
Visit site
Status
Yeah, I didn't have any LORs from dentists either.

ShawnOne

DDS over DMD
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2003
City of Angels
Status
I had one from a dentist i shadowed (my mentor). Probably my best letter.

ecdoesit

DDS/MS
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Status
Mo007 said:
What does religion have to do with your chances of getting into that school?

You have to believe in GOD?

I believe they are the 7th day adventists school.

http://www.llu.edu/welcome.htm?PHPSESSID=952e3ef89bbb900c94bf021fcb9d6de7

Religion is part of their curriculum, even though they dont require anyone to be a 7th day adventist. They have some questions on your spiritual belief on their secondaries too. I wish I know about this before I apply.

EC

jj786

15+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2003
Visit site
Status
I don't think a letter by a dentist is necessarily required, but if you think you can get a good letter from a dentist you shadowed or will shadow then I highly recommend it. An insightful letter (one should be enough) from a dentist will give the admissions committee more of an idea that you really took time to explore and volunteer in the dental field. Professor's recommendation letters usually evaluate your academic abilities more than anything else. A dentist however can assess how enthusiastic you are about the field, your patient-communication skills, and perhaps even hand skills (he may let you help out a bit with certain procedures). On the other hand, I agree with the previous responses in that if you get a very general letter that doesn't say much about you, it won't help you much. Just my two cents though. Best of luck.

About the Ads