1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

how many letters of rec needed?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by wingy, Sep 2, 2001.

1. wingy

wingy Member
    10+ Year Member

I am not applying this year, but I was just wondering how many letter of recommendations are needed to apply? From which area should the letter of recs. come from? Meaning do I have to have letter of rec. from a science professor, for my major, for english and others from where I work?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. StitchEM

StitchEM Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

My advisor always touted having 4 letters,2 sci and 2 non-sci. I am applying this year and have found certian schools have odd requests (requirements). Jefferson wants a letter from a chemistry, physics and biology profs. NYMC wants rec. from your major dept. But mostly amy four letters have served me well. I double majored in Biology and Art so I have recs from profs. in both dept whom I worked with and know me well. I also have one from an anthopology prof. who I took alot of classes from. The key is to get your requests to the prof. early, perferably when they still remember you. :D
    Letters from Volunteering are optional at some schools, it can never hurt to collect as many good recs. as you can.

4. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Many people send between 4 and 6 letters. Science professors definitely (at least 2, and 3 if you're applying to Jefferson), and make sure to have a humanities one as many schools ask for that. I've not seen a school that asks for English.

5. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]