How many LORs are considered overkill?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soviet Poland

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read a few threads on this, but I wanted to ask what you guys would do in my position. I've worked as an ED scribe for almost a year. I've worked with over 30 providers, and have developed meaningful relationships with more than a handful. I was thinking of getting two letters to kind of establish a "range" that I have relationships with multiple doctors at work. But would that be overkill? I mean if one great relationship with a doctor you work 1-on-1 with for a year is good, isn't two better?

I have two letters from professors to meet my faculty requirements, so if I submit just one ER doc letter, I only have 3 total. I could always use a letter I received from shadowing a family practice physician, but really, shadowing a doctor for a month vs writing a doctor's charts for a year...it's fairly obvious which will be the stronger letter. Even if I don't use two ER doc letters, I'm thinking of sitting on the family practice one. Unless you think the range of employment letter vs shadowing letter is somehow more impressive than two strong employment letters.

Would you guys do two?

Members don't see this ad.

I've read a few threads on this, but I wanted to ask what you guys would do in my position. I've worked as an ED scribe for almost a year. I've worked with over 30 providers, and have developed meaningful relationships with more than a handful. I was thinking of getting two letters to kind of establish a "range" that I have relationships with multiple doctors at work. But would that be overkill? I mean if one great relationship with a doctor you work 1-on-1 with for a year is good, isn't two better?

I have two letters from professors to meet my faculty requirements, so if I submit just one ER doc letter, I only have 3 total. I could always use a letter I received from shadowing a family practice physician, but really, shadowing a doctor for a month vs writing a doctor's charts for a year...it's fairly obvious which will be the stronger letter. Even if I don't use two ER doc letters, I'm thinking of sitting on the family practice one. Unless you think the range of employment letter vs shadowing letter is somehow more impressive than two strong employment letters.

Would you guys do two?

In Soviet Poland, you recommend two letters!

5 letters total is fine, but a letter from a doc you shadowed for a few hours doesn't really do anything for your app, so you'd be fine with 4 too. More than 5 is a little overkill.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had 6 originally when I sent them in and sent 3 more in an update at the end of the cycle. If they are excellent, it's worth it. If they are subpar-good dont do it.

I would not send more than 1 "extra" letter. If a place requires 2, and gives you the option for a third, you can send them 3, but I would hesitate sending them more than 3. Similarly, if a program requires 3, you can send them 4.

Just my 2 cents.

I would not send more than 1 "extra" letter. If a place requires 2, and gives you the option for a third, you can send them 3, but I would hesitate sending them more than 3. Similarly, if a program requires 3, you can send them 4.

Just my 2 cents.

I like this rule of thumb. I think I'll go with this one.

Also thanks for all the responses!

I think 6 and over would do it (and I think seeing 8 is my record).

Would you guys do two?

I have two letters from professors to meet my faculty requirements, so if I submit just one ER doc letter, I only have 3 total.
I thought you needed 2 from science professors + 1 from a non-science professor. Is that just school-specific?

I thought you needed 2 from science professors + 1 from a non-science professor. Is that just school-specific?

I'm applying to about 12 schools that don't need the traditional 2 science + 1 non-science. I can open that list to about 15 if I do email one of my non-science professors.

I'm applying to about 12 schools that don't need the traditional 2 science + 1 non-science. I can open that list to about 15 if I do email one of my non-science professors.

Same for me. I'd say 2/3 of schools don't require a non-science LOR. Most just ask for 1-2 science professors and 1-2 extras.