How many LOR's are preferrable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monarch Kong

It means King Kong
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to the Texas med schools system and the requirement is at least 2 LOR's. I have two professors that I have worked closely with and know me well so I can meet the basic requirement, but I have heard that 3 LOR's or more would be preferrable.

I might be able to find a third person to recommend me but it won't be as strong as my first two. Should I go ahead and get 3 LOR's?

Also I've heard the theories that the letters should come from natural science professors...how true are those theories? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey
Check this out, it should answer all your questions, and more.

Attachments

• med_school_letter_types.pdf
    17.1 KB · Views: 172
Dude, thanks so much!!! You just saved me so much work!

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school the pre-med counselor tries to scare us by insisting med schools want 10 letters or something crazy like that. It's crap. Here is my rule of thumb: 2-3 academic letters and 2-3 EC/clinical/volunteer letters. Make sure a couple of them are really good and you'll be fine. Letters are not used to evaluate your personality, they are proof that you've actually done what you put on your app.

At least 30 if you want a chance at a US Allo school.

HOWEVER MANY THE SCHOOL ASKS FOR!!!

Only add up to ONE additional letter if they are certain to add something that is not in the requested letters. Sending 6 letters that all say the same thing is a waste, they won't all get read, and it might end up being your best letter that gets ignored.