Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

How many LOR's are preferrable?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Monarch Kong, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Monarch Kong

Monarch Kong It means King Kong

Medical Student
    I'm applying to the Texas med schools system and the requirement is at least 2 LOR's. I have two professors that I have worked closely with and know me well so I can meet the basic requirement, but I have heard that 3 LOR's or more would be preferrable.

I might be able to find a third person to recommend me but it won't be as strong as my first two. Should I go ahead and get 3 LOR's?

Also I've heard the theories that the letters should come from natural science professors...how true are those theories? Thanks in advance!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mikkey

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey
    Check this out, it should answer all your questions, and more.

Attached Files:

4. eddie13231

eddie13231 Member

Medical Student
    Dude, thanks so much!!! You just saved me so much work!

5. brianmartin

Resident [Any Field]
    At my school the pre-med counselor tries to scare us by insisting med schools want 10 letters or something crazy like that. It's crap. Here is my rule of thumb: 2-3 academic letters and 2-3 EC/clinical/volunteer letters. Make sure a couple of them are really good and you'll be fine. Letters are not used to evaluate your personality, they are proof that you've actually done what you put on your app.

6. Cirrus83

Cirrus83 Too old for this

Attending Physician
    At least 30 if you want a chance at a US Allo school.

7. CTtarheel

CTtarheel Senior Member

Medical Student
    HOWEVER MANY THE SCHOOL ASKS FOR!!!

Only add up to ONE additional letter if they are certain to add something that is not in the requested letters. Sending 6 letters that all say the same thing is a waste, they won't all get read, and it might end up being your best letter that gets ignored.