How many LORs are too many?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mitch8017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So obviously different schools have different requirements for their LORs. Some schools want to see a letter from 2 science professors and 1 non-science, others want to see a work supervisor, some want one from a peer and I've even heard some want to see one from a physician (no confirmation on the last one). I have individuals lined up to write me letters and others who have expressed they would love to right me a letter in the past. The list includes:

Family Physician I have known for years
2 science professors, one of which directed a research project and one I TA'd for
1 non-science professor
1 woman I volunteered for since I was in high school, said several times would write me a good letter
1 work supervisor from when I worked as a CNA
1 research mentor (scientist) from when I worked in a USDA lab as a research assistant
1 peer I have taken classes and lived with since freshman year

Obviously this is 7 letters and may be a bit excessive, but I feel I have a good relationship with all of them and I believe each one of them would write me a glowing recommendation. Obviously I need to cover the bases of what the school's I apply to want, but I'm as equally afraid of sending too many letters as I am of selling myself short by not including one of these letters. I am also a member of my homet0wn's school board and am wondering if I should ask our Superintendent to write me a letter as this is something I pride myself on. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I can't wait to see all of the responses!

Members don't see this ad.

Seven letters is absolutely excessive, and some schools won't let you send more than 3-5. (If you do, they won't read past the max amount.)

Keep the 1 science and 2 no science professors. Nix the peer (really? :p) and the family physician (if they only know you personally).

As for the others, if you're still volunteering with that woman you've known since high school, that's a great one. If a school's max is 5, choose between the CNA supervisor and research mentor--whoever you think will write you the best letter.

Reactions: 1 user
So 6 is too many?? I hate having to narrow this down because I put in a lot of work and have a wonderful relationship with both of these people. My research mentor is a very well respected scientist, would this carry more weight just by name?

Members don't see this ad :)
So 6 is too many?? I hate having to narrow this down because I put in a lot of work and have a wonderful relationship with both of these people. My research mentor is a very well respected scientist, would this carry more weight just by name?

Like I said above, it depends on the school. There were a handful I applied to that might have allowed 7 letters, but most were within that 3-5 range. And again, schools WILL NOT read more than the max number of letters, and you'll be seen as someone who can't follow directions.

If you think the research mentor's letter will be stronger by virtue of more than just their credentials, then use it.

You're overthinking this. If you're hardworking/compassionate/etc, it'll show as well in 3-5 letters as it will show in 7. Your application as a whole will speak for itself.

Not to hijack the thread, but my committee letter includes all my support letters at the end. I have 8 strong letters total and slightly below average stats. Do I have too many letters or is it fine for my case? I'm also a reapplicant, fwiw

Also, maybe I could narrow it down to 1 science professor? I have good grades and a good mcat score and I didn't work too excessively with the woman who directed my research as I did most of my research in my USDA lab.

Not to hijack the thread, but my committee letter includes all my support letters at the end. I have 8 strong letters total and slightly below average stats. Do I have too many letters or is it fine for my case? I'm also a reapplicant, fwiw
I have a committee letter with seven individual letters in it. I heard from my advisor and others that it wouldn't be a problem. I think you're fine.

You're fine. Committee letter overrides the individual letter requirements and is counted as one.

Reactions: 1 users
Also, maybe I could narrow it down to 1 science professor? I have good grades and a good mcat score and I didn't work too excessively with the woman who directed my research as I did most of my research in my USDA lab.

Almost every single school requires 2 science professors. I think you need to do your own research on LOR requirements between schools and the purpose of LORs in general, and then make your decision.

My biggest confusion is how this works with AMCAS. I have some schools I am applying to that accept 6-10 letters, and some that cap it at 4.

My biggest confusion is how this works with AMCAS. I have some schools I am applying to that accept 6-10 letters, and some that cap it at 4.
You can assign the appropriate number and type of letter for each school through AMCAS.
Do not send all letters to all schools.

Reactions: 1 users
You can assign the appropriate number and type of letter for each school through AMCAS.
Do not send all letters to all schools.

Excellent, thank you very much

A few thoughts, just to help sum this all up:

1) You can have up to 10 letters uploaded to AMCAS that than can assign to individually to specific schools
2) Each school may may have specific requirements in what kind of letters and how many for Individual Letters
3) Committee Letters, no matter how many letters are part of the packet, would not violate any Individual Letter limits/requirement
4) schools want a Letter of Evaluation, no simply a letter of recommendation. See attached AMCAS letter writer guide
5) Many schools want academic evaluation so two letters from science professors and one from non science professors, who's classes you have taken are typically asked for.
6) Letter from a research PI is often included, especially at those schools with a heavy research emphasis
7) Letters from Physicians that you have shadowed or that have you known as patient typically have little impact on an adcom
8) Quality of the letter matters more than anything. Quality here would be evidence of how the writer knows you, for how long, under what circumstances and a realistic and accurate evaluation of the applicant within those circumstances
9) Having more that a moderate amount of letters can be detrimental as it can be an indication of trying to make up for deficiencies in your application.
10) I recommend range of 3-5 or 4-6; for most typical undergraduates, 3-5 letters academic related and 1 non-academic (character) are really the limits. If you have something truly worthwhile (and few students do) or are a nontraditional, letter mix may be different (e.g.employment supervisor)

Concur. While you may think more is better, beware that having one mediocre or bad letter can sink otherwise stellar letters. One is all it takes so choose wisely.