How many LORs can I get from a clinical elective?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orestis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

Background:
I am an IMG with a step 1 score 228. Next year I will be in my 6th year in uni and I would like to do a clinical elective in USA. I am planning on sending applications to some universities. Probably I will be able to get in one that my university is co-operating with (New York Medical College).

Goal:
I wanna be a neurologist so I guess the best thing would be to do both neurology and internal medicine in USA but since I am not sure if I wanna go to USA I think I will do one of them in another country that I am interested. But because USA is the most competitive one I wanna get the most of it. So my uni requires 4 weeks of neurology rotation and 9 weeks of internal medicine rotation(from this 9 weeks I will be able to do at least 7 at USA, I am not sure about the last two weeks I should specify that with the department).

Questions:
1). How many LORs would I be able to get in 4 weeks and 7 weeks? I guess in 4 weeks of neurology most probably I will manage to get one LOR while with 7 weeks of internal I would be able to get 2. Is this logic correct? I am also thinking that because internal is quite broad specialty I could actually justify wanting to do let's say 3 weeks of endocrinology and 4 weeks of cardiology or smth like that, which would give me the chance for more LORs
2). In the residency match for neurology which would seem better: one good LOR from a neurologist or 2 good LORs from let's say an pulmonlogist and a gastrenterologist?

Members don't see this ad.