How many LORs can I get from a clinical elective?

Started by Orestis
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Orestis

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello guys,

Background:
I am an IMG with a step 1 score 228. Next year I will be in my 6th year in uni and I would like to do a clinical elective in USA. I am planning on sending applications to some universities. Probably I will be able to get in one that my university is co-operating with (New York Medical College).

Goal:
I wanna be a neurologist so I guess the best thing would be to do both neurology and internal medicine in USA but since I am not sure if I wanna go to USA I think I will do one of them in another country that I am interested. But because USA is the most competitive one I wanna get the most of it. So my uni requires 4 weeks of neurology rotation and 9 weeks of internal medicine rotation(from this 9 weeks I will be able to do at least 7 at USA, I am not sure about the last two weeks I should specify that with the department).

Questions:
1). How many LORs would I be able to get in 4 weeks and 7 weeks? I guess in 4 weeks of neurology most probably I will manage to get one LOR while with 7 weeks of internal I would be able to get 2. Is this logic correct? I am also thinking that because internal is quite broad specialty I could actually justify wanting to do let's say 3 weeks of endocrinology and 4 weeks of cardiology or smth like that, which would give me the chance for more LORs
2). In the residency match for neurology which would seem better: one good LOR from a neurologist or 2 good LORs from let's say an pulmonlogist and a gastrenterologist?

Thanks 🙂