1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

How many LORs?

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by lakerfan, Jul 27, 2006.

1. lakerfan

lakerfan Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Dear all,

I am applying to IM this fall...just wanted some input as to how many LORs to send to each program. The vast majority of programs require 3 LORs (one from the chairman and 2 others) but do not specify on their sites whether they accept more than 3. Do I have to ask each program whether it is okay to send more (no more than one more)?

I have asked for 4 letters from faculty because one of the programs I am looking at requires that many. Basically, will a fourth letter be thrown away by programs and only 3 be read? Some people (by no means experts) have told me that 4 might be overkill if the program only wants 3.

I would appreciate any input on this subject. Thanks in advance.

LF

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mig26x

mig26x Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    this was discuss last year, and the majority expressed that if the program says 3, just send 3.

4. gutonc

gutonc No Meat, No Treat
    Administrator Physician PhD 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Unless you have a good reason for sending a 4th. The Chairman's letter is, IMHO generally useless, particularly if you come from a large program where >100 people are applying in IM and only about 3 people/yr have a chance to actually work with him/her on their 1 attending month. So in my case, since I was applying for research residencies, I sent 3 others, one from my Sub-I, one from my H-O rotation and one from my PhD mentor. All the ones you send will get added to your file. How many actually get read is a different story altogether.

BE (now PE)

5. Major0909

Major0909 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What do you guys think about and/or have heard about requesting a letter from an "influential" person in the field and just carrying it around with you during interviews to show off if it's too late to submit to ERAS (ex: away in Oct/Nov)