how many med schools to apply to??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinfeathers6

man, it's so loud in here
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hiya!
I'm sure somethng like this has been posted before, but i'm brand spanking new and just within the last few days made the decision to apply this coming summer/fall.
The whole application process is (as expected) very costly, but I do want to apply to as many med schools as I can and also might want to actually attend (not gonna apply if i dont want to go there, obviously), which reounds out to around 30 schools. I talk to a few friends who just applied and WILL be applying, and many of them say 'oh i applied/am applying EVERYWHERE'. I find it hard to believe this, but who knows?
I'm just curious to hear from some o you guys as to how many you applied to or are applying to.

Members don't see this ad.

You're from cali....it sucks dude...

Depends on what your stats are...try to get it down to all the Cali schools (like 8 i think right? - except loma linda..unless you don't wanna have sex or drink or have fun - no offense to those who go there or are seventh day adventists or ...yea...removing foot right now...ok..)..

Then you got about 7 top tier, 7 middle tier, 7 lower tier.

And a couple schools not even on that list. Or you can rearrange that depending on your stats and statement etc etc.

Don't listen to people who are not from california....they hear anyhting over 15 and they freak out.

From california, you are going to apply to more than 15 (probably...unless you just want to apply to UC's or you are ****ing badass or something...)

Good luck.

Scooby have you figured out wtf is up with the UC's? I know you had your frustrations with them last year and I don't think I'm alone facing it this year. WTF do they want?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by pinfeathers6
Hiya!
I'm sure somethng like this has been posted before, but i'm brand spanking new and just within the last few days made the decision to apply this coming summer/fall.
The whole application process is (as expected) very costly, but I do want to apply to as many med schools as I can and also might want to actually attend (not gonna apply if i dont want to go there, obviously), which reounds out to around 30 schools. I talk to a few friends who just applied and WILL be applying, and many of them say 'oh i applied/am applying EVERYWHERE'. I find it hard to believe this, but who knows?
I'm just curious to hear from some o you guys as to how many you applied to or are applying to.

****, I just notice you are from Cali... (hehe, had to delete my whole post). Yeah, don't listen to me, I'm from Jerzey, but here is a helpful thread on the number of schools to apply to

http://www.studentdoctor.net/forums...70&highlight=Foxy+wide+range+schools+and+many

I would say 20 or more sounds decent if you're from Cali, depending on how strong your app is. :)

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
Scooby have you figured out wtf is up with the UC's? I know you had your frustrations with them last year and I don't think I'm alone facing it this year. WTF do they want?!

They hate most people....

I don't know how to do it with them...never figured it out...Good luck though :)

Of course, most of the people I know who ended up at them are losers....so don't go to one...

hehe...moleculo is case in point...

i second what SP said - damn UCs!!!

Originally posted by Scooby Doo
They hate most people....

I don't know how to do it with them...never figured it out...Good luck though :)

Of course, most of the people I know who ended up at them are losers....so don't go to one...

hehe...moleculo is case in point...

true. moleculo is weak ;)

oh and to the original poster...I'm a california res, I designated 28 schools on amcas, dropped some, and ended up applying to 24 schools total (including NYU and Columbia (non-amcas schools)).
I have found that 24 has been a good number, especially if you have a good distribution like i tried to have...