How many Neurology and Prelim programs to apply to?

Started by falcontree
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

falcontree

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!

I'm a 4th year applying into Neurology and have gotten mixed advice on how many programs I should apply to. Any advice you have would be much appreciated!

School: Top 20 US MD
Step 1/2: 250/265
Grades: 1 High Pass in Family Med, the rest Honors (including Neurology and Medicine)
Research: a few research experiences in Neurology, but no publications (one case report is in the works, but won't be submitted yet when applications go out)

Currently I have 20 Neurology programs on my list, and 35 prelims. Is that enough, or should I add more?

I'm also interested in some academic programs, but am concerned about my lack of publications. If I have research experience but no pubs, do you think that will hold me back at academic programs?

Thanks in advance for your help 🙂
 
Apply to 20, go to 8-10 interviews. Your application is just fine; the list of programs that will expect you to have published is extremely small.