How many nurses have ever....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm thinking there's probably at least one person here who might know something about that. ;)

diagnosed someone with Energy Field Disturbance?

and treated that person with Theraputic Touch?

I'm a first year nursing student, and this was one of the first things we made fun of this fall. All I can say in it's defense is that there are people who believe very strongly that energy fields exist and can be disturbed. Personally, I believe that if it can't be researched then it doesn't belong in a manual for modern professional practice.

So far in my nursing experience, nursing diagnoses(most of which make more sense than disturbed energy field) have not been played a big part. We use them to develop care plans because we need them to pass classes, but despite the fact that they are available pre-printed for our viewing pleasure, I have yet to use one on the floor.

But I agree with you. An illness as complex and potentially fatal as a disruption in one's energy field should definitely be a medical diagnosis.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a first year nursing student, and this was one of the first things we made fun of this fall.

Don't laugh too hard...

Candace Pert, Ph.D., the well known scientist who discovered the opiate receptor and who, along with her husband, Dr. Michael Ruff, discovered Peptide T, says that her work is "beginning to reveal the scientific underpinnings of the chakra system. From this point of view, the chakras are 'minibrains:' nodal points of electrical and chemical activity that receive, process, and distribute information to and from the rest of the bodymind. Physiologically, each chakra is the site of a neuronal plexus-a network of cells dense with neuropeptide transmitters. All are interdependently connected to each other, such that nourishing any one plexus enhances the effectiveness of the entire system. By the same token, trauma or neglect can manifest as a block at one or more nodal points, degrading the performance of all."

Don't laugh too hard...

Candace Pert, Ph.D., the well known scientist who discovered the opiate receptor and who, along with her husband, Dr. Michael Ruff, discovered Peptide T, says that her work is "beginning to reveal the scientific underpinnings of the chakra system. From this point of view, the chakras are 'minibrains:' nodal points of electrical and chemical activity that receive, process, and distribute information to and from the rest of the bodymind. Physiologically, each chakra is the site of a neuronal plexus-a network of cells dense with neuropeptide transmitters. All are interdependently connected to each other, such that nourishing any one plexus enhances the effectiveness of the entire system. By the same token, trauma or neglect can manifest as a block at one or more nodal points, degrading the performance of all."

:eek:

Heh, JAMA published an 11 year old girl who showed that theraputic touch was bollocks.

Heh, JAMA published an 11 year old girl who showed that theraputic touch was bollocks.

Yes, and the editor got fired for that...and other reasons. An 11 year old with parents who had a conflict of interest and a study which had nothing to do with TT. JAMA really blew that one!

Yes, and the editor got fired for that...and other reasons. An 11 year old with parents who had a conflict of interest and a study which had nothing to do with TT. JAMA really blew that one!

Umm yeah not sure what the difference between oral sex and therapeutic touch is...
http://www.csicop.org/articles/19990121-jama/

There is plenty of evidence that therapeutic touch is crap. The fact the nursing has energy field disturbances as a nursing diagnosis is the real crime. There are a number of excellent papers and reviews by RN's that show the lack of validity for therapeutic touch. If you want to balance your energy fields fine. But it has no place in medicine or nursing for that matter.

Here is my favorite:
http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/ttprotest1.html

David Carpenter, PA-C

If you want to balance your energy fields fine. But it has no place in medicine or nursing for that matter.

David Carpenter, PA-C

I agree it probably shouldn't be part of the curriculum but one should be able to incorporate it into their practice if they wish...and those who want it can seek them out.

Personally I don't do TT as I actually like to touch.

But, I can train you to sense another person's "energy field." I'll blindfold you and put in earplugs and sit you in the middle of a gym floor. Then I'll sneak up on you from different directions, each time flogging the hell out of you with a length of bamboo. I bet in about an hour your senses will be acute enough to detect which direction I'm coming from and avoid a beating:laugh:

I agree it probably shouldn't be part of the curriculum but one should be able to incorporate it into their practice if they wish...and those who want it can seek them out.

But, I can train you to sense another person's "energy field." I'll blindfold you and put in earplugs and sit you in the middle of a gym floor. Then I'll sneak up on you from different directions, each time flogging the hell out of you with a length of bamboo. I bet in about an hour your senses will be acute enough to detect which direction I'm coming from and avoid a beating:laugh:

When you're done with him I have a few people I'd like to send your way.

Having had that experience in SERE school I agree that is very possible. I will also postulate that it has nothing to do with energy fields and everything to do with sensory integration.

David Carpenter, PA-C

Having had that experience in SERE school I agree that is very possible. I will also postulate that it has nothing to do with energy fields and everything to do with sensory integration.

David Carpenter, PA-C

I think that is probably the "rational" explanation that Zenman was alluding to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that is probably the "rational" explanation that Zenman was alluding to.

Yep, it's like different cultures talking about the same thing using different languages.

Therapeutic touch will get you 10-20 years in some states...:laugh:

at my hospital by a nurse with a PhD on their 'research day'. Let me just say the title was "Use of Video in patients performing tai-Chi". No, that's ground breaking research if you ask me.

Sorry, I am just too damn busy with treating more lifethreatening issues....like coding the patient that the MD misdiagnosed/mismanaged.

But not too busy to post on a message board?

Carolina, if you got those broken toes kicking some misbehaving docs, it's all good. ;)

Sorry to hear you're hurting. Broken toes are a real nuisance.

My night off w/a couple of broken toes.

I work at my job, and don't have time to fiddle with the Internet at work.

Fair Enough.

Fab - my question was not to make fun of nurses, but to ask if they actually diagnose/use those things. If the answer was yes, then I would have made fun, but since it seems that even nursing students make fun of energy field disfunction, we are all on the same side here.

Fair Enough.

Fab - my question was not to make fun of nurses, but to ask if they actually diagnose/use those things. If the answer was yes, then I would have made fun, but since it seems that even nursing students make fun of energy field disfunction, we are all on the same side here.

Rogue, most of us that actually WORK in nursing....don't bother with such things. We don't have the time or energy to waste on such things.

But as for the management pumps and pearls crowd, I don't know. I get annoyed enough when my cancer patients come in with "vitamins" bought at the local bodega, capsules filled with what looks like grass clippings in them, and insist that warm coffee enemas is what will keep them in remission.

Kicking MDs, I wouldn't ever do that. The ones on this assignment are too busy getting beaten up by JCAHO regs and PressGainey.

Kicking MDs, I wouldn't ever do that. The ones on this assignment are too busy getting beaten up by JCAHO regs and PressGainey.

I keep forgetting you're from the South; you have manners. Where I come from, however...;)

So, care to share your toe tale of woe?