how many of u newly minted MD/DOs will get new checks w/ your title?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Did you get new checks with MD/DO?

• Yes: I'm planning to get MD added to my checks

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Yes: I already got new checks w/ MD added

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Maybe: I'm still thinking about it

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • No: I'm not planning to get MD added to my checks

Votes: 64 53.3%
  • No: I didn't get new checks w/ MD added

Votes: 41 34.2%

• Total voters

bulldog

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will you get new checks with Name, M.D.?

Members don't see this ad.

I hope no one outside a hospital adresses me as MD. It's a target.

No kidding. You tell peeps your a physician, and every conversation turns to money, 'I have a problem', 'my friend has a problem', health care costs, or please donate to a fund. Not worth the hassle in my opinion. I'll still continue to tell people that I am something boring like an IRS auditor or an accountant just so they won't ask any questions...

No kidding. You tell peeps your a physician, and every conversation turns to money, 'I have a problem', 'my friend has a problem', health care costs, or please donate to a fund. Not worth the hassle in my opinion. I'll still continue to tell people that I am something boring like an IRS auditor or an accountant just so they won't ask any questions...
You'd be surprised. People are simply not impressed by it.

If someone asks what you do, are you going to lie? I don't. People aren't that impressed.

At first glance I thought the title of this thread was asking "Did you get new "chicks"? LOL:laugh:

I hope no one outside a hospital adresses me as MD. It's a target.

For real. You should have seen my realtor's eyes light up when he finally figured out that I'm going to be an intern.

Why anyone would advertise being a physician is beyond me.

Reactions: 1 user

If someone asks what you do, are you going to lie? I don't. People aren't that impressed.

Wise people aren't impressed. It's all the others I'm worried about.

I'm just not keen on advertising my profession to those who don't need to know.

For real. You should have seen my realtor's eyes light up when he finally figured out that I'm going to be an intern.

I had a moving company rep over for a quote. Of course he asked me why I was moving. I told him I was graduating.

"What kind of school?"

"Medical School."

He spent the rest of ths visit referring to me as Dr. Bertelman. I cringed each time.

I never really thought about it until now and many of the posters have made good points defending thei decision to keep it on a need-to-know basis.

Of course parents will tell people for you until the day they die...lol

I was going to get Doc tattooed on my arm, MD tattooed on my foot, a big MD sticker for my windshield, personalized tags that say Dr.McNinja, and wear my hood every day. Also, new credit cards, business cards (you know, for the business I don't have), a big ring, and of course, my checks will have a caduceus background.

Or would the background be a bit much?

People still write checks?

I've written maybe 5 in the past year--all else is done electronically though the bank or with debit card (or even better--credit card that gets you airline miles!).

By the way, if you are the annoying person in line in front of me writing a check for groceries and then standing there while you reconcile it in your 1970s-era check register, can you step into the 90s and stop writing those ridiculous checks for everything?!

I have to agree, Dr. in your title labels you as a target, and I'm not in this for the prestige anyway. My patients will know me as that, and that's it.

I was going to get Doc tattooed on my arm, MD tattooed on my foot, a big MD sticker for my windshield, personalized tags that say Dr.McNinja, and wear my hood every day. Also, new credit cards, business cards (you know, for the business I don't have), a big ring, and of course, my checks will have a caduceus background.

Or would the background be a bit much?

Jeez man...thats too much, its the people like you that piss me off. Me personally, I just let the stethescope hanging around my neck 24/7 do the talking, at the grocery store, at the movies it says "Doctor" with some class. It does tend to bounce around when Im on the treadmill at the gym though.

You laugh, but I see people doing this. Most of them are nurses, techs, etc.

And med students...

All I could think of when I was in undergrad and working out next to some of the med students with scrubs was, "I hope those are clean scrubs."

I laugh at people like that.....I will not go outside of the hospital in scrubs (although, admittedly) I do have a pair of scrub pants that I wear to bed)

I saw someone out at a Cinco de Mayo party wearing scrub bottoms and tops.
I was mildly annoyed, then I had another margarita.

The only time I ever put MD after my name is when I book airline reservations. Heck, they don't know I'm a fellow. I could be some big wig as far as they are concerned. It doesn't hurt and hey, maybe it helps me from getting bumped from a flight.

At first glance I thought the title of this thread was asking "Did you get new "chicks"? LOL:laugh:

Yeah I thought the same thing at first.

As far as working out in scrubs I've done it a few times when I got out of the hospital late and was to lazy to change. But I was actually thinking about getting the sleeves cut off on my white coat, like Dr. 90210 and going to the gym with that on.:rolleyes:

I hate it when someone outside the medical setting calls me "doctor".

The only time I ever put MD after my name is when I book airline reservations. Heck, they don't know I'm a fellow. I could be some big wig as far as they are concerned. It doesn't hurt and hey, maybe it helps me from getting bumped from a flight.

The best way to keep from being bumped is to have the Captain be your neighbor and invite him to share your pool.

And even that doesn 't work sometimes.

I know you guys are trying not seem full of yourselves and all, but seriously my experience has been that people ARE IMPRESSED when they found out I'm (going to be) a doctor.....
Yes, doctors are no longer considered as "semi-gods" but it's still among the most prestigious professions.

I know you guys are trying not seem full of yourselves and all, but seriously my experience has been that people ARE IMPRESSED when they found out I'm (going to be) a doctor.....
Yes, doctors are no longer considered as "semi-gods" but it's still among the most prestigious professions.
Trust me, I'm very proud of being a physician. I don't actively advertise it, but I don't hide it either. Perhaps it's just the area of the country where I live. People are not impressed by me being a physician. However, that isn't to say that they think of my career the same as they think of a sewage plant worker.

i have two sets of checks, one with dr. blah and one without. i think i got too excited at first with the dr. blah thing and later realized how silly it was and reordered them. the only time i use the dr. checks are when i have to send something to a wicked relative...to rub it in their face. don't tell me you don't have mean/jealous relatives.

I'm not trying to seem like anything. I really am not full of myself. I understand that it is a prestigious position, and I should expect some level of respect in a clinical setting.

However, that respect should end when I exit the hospital. Frankly, I don't want to be treated differently for fear that I may begin to believe the attention is justified. That's why I don't want my title on a check. Whoever receives that check certainly shouldn't care what I do for a living. There are plenty of people doing wonderful things in the world that may not have an M.D. after their name.

There are plenty of people doing wonderful things in the world that may not have an M.D. after their name.

Amen to that. They have D.O. after their name. ;)

I agree--docs who get vanity plates on their cars or put Dr. on their checks (how about just your name, no salutation?) do appear to be seeking some kind of recognition from the public at large.

Amen to that. They have D.O. after their name. ;)

I agree--docs who get vanity plates on their cars or put Dr. on their checks (how about just your name, no salutation?) do appear to be seeking some kind of recognition from the public at large.
What do you people select when booking airline flights or sending email correspondence through a web interface if the form asks you for your title and the choice has Mr, Miss, Mrs, Dr, Rev, etc.?

Personally I put Dr. I don't active search for it, but it is my title now, and I do select it when the option is there.

Does this mean I actively advertise I'm a doctor? No. Quite the contrary. Even to my patients I introduce myself by first and last name (to the despise of my section chair who urges us to introduce ourselves as Dr). If patients call me by first name, I don't mind at all. All the nurses, techs, and even the janitors and transporters I know call me by first name.

What do you people select when booking airline flights or sending email correspondence through a web interface if the form asks you for your title and the choice has Mr, Miss, Mrs, Dr, Rev, etc.?

Depends on the scenario, and how I feel that day. But this is different than choosing to put MD/DO :p on your checks. I'm not saying I hide it, but I don't throow it out there unnecessarily.

Personally I put Dr. I don't active search for it, but it is my title now, and I do select it when the option is there.

Does this mean I actively advertise I'm a doctor? No. Quite the contrary. Even to my patients I introduce myself by first and last name (to the despise of my section chair who urges us to introduce ourselves as Dr). If patients call me by first name, I don't mind at all. All the nurses, techs, and even the janitors and transporters I know call me by first name.

I'm guessing you are a guy. I think, as a woman, if you don't introduce yourself as doctor, they will assume you are the bloody nurse.

I'm guessing you are a guy. I think, as a woman, if you don't introduce yourself as doctor, they will assume you are the bloody nurse.

Haha. When I rotated through pediatrics, I noticed that the male residents were on a first name basis with the nurses, while the female residents forced them to say "Dr. So and So."

Haha. When I rotated through pediatrics, I noticed that the male residents were on a first name basis with the nurses, while the female residents forced them to say "Dr. So and So."

The male residents were probably also trying to get the phone numbers of the female nurses so it helps to be on a first name basis.

Everyone's got a role to play in society. Nothing functions without the other. Some roles are just more visible, but that doesn't equate to importance.

Pufftissue, M.D.

Sucks, I just bought a house and next door the guy has the same last name and middle initial!! How the heck does that happen!?

Seeing as the USPS seems to mix up mail even when names are only remotely similar....We get this a lot, You mean all Hispanic last names are not the same?

I guess I'll have to either put the Prefix or D.O. on the important stuff.:thumbdown:

Interesting....where I went to med school it was just the opposite, at least in surgery. The male residents were always "Dr. So and So" and the female residents were referred to by their first name. I don't think any of the residents "forced" the nurses one way or the other, but that is how things settled out.

At my (academic) institution, residents who present themselves as "Dr." to anyone other than patients (so students, nurses, other residents, etc.) are considered obnoxious pricks.